Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Kefir  (Read 8943 times)

tika

Re: Kefir
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »

Of the two I much prefer Lassi, I had less bloating with it though if you are lactose intolerant Kefir might be a better choice as its fermented from grains not whey.

I had it ice cold and unsweetened with just a touch of salt in Turkey it was so refreshing in the heat.

Best place to get in is in Asian shops but supermarkets are selling it now.

paisley

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 02:49:26 PM »

I haven't used kefir but I am going to try because I have read so much on the gut brain barrier & what you eat has a profound effect on your brain. I started changing my diet a while ago. Better fats, use apple cider vinegar & eat more things to help with gut absorption. I suppose it makes sense what you put into your body is what you get out.

Daisydot

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »

You should be able to get decent sauerkraut where you are too paisley that would be a big boost for your gut just make sure it's not pasteurised as that destroys the benefits,kefir milk made as smoothies for breakfast or lunch is amazing compared to just plain kefir you should try it with your favourite fruit you'd enjoy xx

Wilks

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »

I love kefir, but only the plain ones. The slightly fizzy ones are my favourite. I should get round to making my own really.
I also use raw apple cider vinegar containing “the mother” but I can't stand to drink it diluted in water so I use it in salad dressing.

Daisydot

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 03:17:30 PM »

You should buy the apple cider vinegar capsules from amazon Wilks I get them for my husbands gout funny enough we'd run out and he had a rotten month with gout there so I made sure he went back on the capsules.Theyre so much easier to take than the ACV and reasonably priced.x

katsclaws

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »

Thank you Daisydot, I've just ordered some Apple Cider Vinegar capsules for my husband's gout. He takes cherry tablets which work well. 

katsclaws

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »

Thanks Daisydot,  I'll have a look at alkaline diets. Gout is so painful. I hope vegetables are ok as we have a big fruit and vegetable garden.

Wilks

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »

I'm afraid the alkaline diet thing is a myth. It's physiologically impossible to alter your blood pH with diet.

Still, loads of fruit, vegetables and kefir in your diet is very healthy anyway  :)

Dorothy

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 06:02:16 PM »

I haven’t used kefir but I am going to try because I have read so much on the gut brain barrier & what you eat has a profound effect on your brain. I started changing my diet a while ago. Better fats, use apple cider vinegar & eat more things to help with gut absorption. I suppose it makes sense what you put into your body is what you get out.
It helps your brain?!!!!  I definitely need to keep consuming this stuff.  My brain needs all the help it can get!

Morning Spangles, is it the Waitrose flavoured ones you buy,I quite fancy tryng the cherry one it gets good reviews I'm too lazy to be bothered making it and the farms are too expensive with it.

The version my friend gave me is totally lazy - put the grains in a jam jar, top up with milk, cover with a cloth.  24 hours later, tip contents into a plastic sieve over a glass (I've bought a sieve the same size as the glass so no spillage)  Waggle the sieve a bit to make all the kefir drip into the glass, tip the grains back into the jar, top up with milk and cover again.  Then down the kefir milk, and wash the glass and sieve.  It really is less time and effort than making a cup of tea!

Maryjane

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 06:07:53 PM »

Sauerkraut is so easy to make and is delicious .

Micheal Mosleys sauerkraut recipe , I make months worth at a time.

Will have dad more good bacteria than any bought , I also make sourdough bread so cheap to make yourself , is quite time consuming but I make three loaves a go over two days so 6.

Wilks

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »

Do you have to sterilise the jars and sieves etc when making kefir?

Daisydot

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 06:21:19 PM »

I'm afraid the alkaline diet thing is a myth. It's physiologically impossible to alter your blood pH with diet.

Still, loads of fruit, vegetables and kefir in your diet is very healthy anyway  :)
Well spotted Wilks I'm afraid I got it wrong so removed the offending post.and thank you for putting it kindly.xx

Wilks

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 06:35:51 PM »

Hi Daisydot, I didn't want to sound like a know-it-all, it's just that it's a subject related to my qualifications and job.
Thanks for not getting grumpy with me xx

Maryjane

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 08:12:44 PM »

No I don't sterilise just normal washing up and dry.

But I have never been a germ phobic.

Spangles

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »

HI Daisydot,
The one I use is from Sainsbury's, it comes in Cherry or Honey and Mint or plain.
xXx
Pages: 1 [2] 3