Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: What are the symptoms of lack of oestrogen/ Progesterone  (Read 1680 times)

Shelby

What are the symptoms of lack of oestrogen/ Progesterone
« on: June 25, 2018, 03:24:31 PM »

Hi
I wonder if one of you,lovely ladies could help me?
What are the symptoms of low Oestrogen levels?
What are the symptoms of low Progesterone levels?
And what are the symptoms if either are too high?
The reason for my question is this my last GP visit ended with yet another change of HRT regime..
I am now on Utrogestan 200mg days 1-14 of each month, System 50 patches continually... now the reason I was prescribed the Utrogestan was that the doctor though I was having problems absorbing the Progesterone via a patch ( I have tried various other forms of HRT prior to this) ...
Why should it be different with the Oestrogen patch, the reason for my query is I have completed the Utrogestan cycle I have had a bleed and finished and I am currently on patch only and I feel dreadful.....worst symptom is crushing fatigue...
I know it's early days and I have yet to complete a whole month on this regime but ..... days lost to complete exhaustion like today suck 😖
I am wondering if I would be better off with the gel ?...  how long to I give it before going back to the doctor?.
Feeling fed up.... and would be grateful for some advice xx

Hurdity

Re: What are the symptoms of lack of oestrogen/ Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 08:49:11 PM »

Sorry to hear you're feeling rough.

When did you last take a Utrogestan? It is normal to feel pmt symptoms for a few days after stopping the prog and then of course maybe for a couple of days with the bleed, but after the bleed and when you are on oestrogen only you should feel better.  Also the licensed dose is 12 days per 28 day cycle so maybe that is too much for you ie an extra couple of days? If you are peri-menopausal then your own cycle comes into play from time to time so you can't say what is causing your symptoms. If you are post-menopausal and still feeling really tired on oestrogen only then either something else is wrong (such vitamin or mineral deficiency eg low iron etc, or underactive thyroid), or your oestrogen is too low.

If your progesterone is low then you will most likely feel good! Most women do (this is during first part of cycle and most women feel at their best mid cycle when oestrogen is at its highest). Low oestrogen could give rise to all sorts of menopausal symptoms ranging from flushes and sweats to joint pain, low mood, headaches and a myriad more. Too much progesterone/progestogen can make you feel really fatigued, also headachey, foggy headed, irritable and more - sometimes even depressed. I don't know the symptoms of very high oestrogen but it won't be fatigue as oestrogen is energising and uplifting - has an excitatory effect.

You could increase the dose of patches though before trying the gel - I don't know that one - System - but they're sure to come in a 75 mcg dose.

Yes you do need to give it time!

Hurdity x

Shelby

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »

Thanks Hurdity
That is a lot of useful information 😁😁
I should have said the Oestrogen is Evorel ( system 50 is written on the Oestrogen patch packet when it's taken as a sequential system....blame meno brain 😆)
Because I have been trying various forms of HRT for about three years now (I am 53) I am not too sure where I am on the meno journey... I started taking it for peri problems ( erratic bleeding for one) and I have yet to find something that really clicks...I have had all the standard checks (although due an annual blood screen shortly) and seem in good health.
I have just started the Utrogestan and the Evorel patches after a three month break from HRT ( doctors instruction) I had been on the Evorel patches for about nine months prior..with the Evorel I had a monthly bleed, three days spotting in between, had permanent PMT, very low mood, fatigue and during the Oestrogen only part, a lot of low abdominal pain..
During the three month break to be honest the only change was the pain went ..... oh hot flushes returned with a vengence and my depression got a lot worse....only one bleed at the end of the three months, so still peri I guess.
Anyway low mood was so bad I went back to the GP she though that I was having problems absorbing the Progesterone and try the Utrogestan within 24 hours my general mood had completely lifted, and to be honest I felt pretty good for the 14 days I took it... the crash seems to have come once I have finished it...hence my wondering if I struggle with absorbing Progesterone via a patch why would the Oestrogen be any different 🤔?.

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »

Hi, Shelby!

I swear by these lists from the website Hystersisters:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97238.htm

The women over there have a lot of experience in balancing hormone levels after hysterectomy/oophorectomy and of course the symptoms would be the same in women in natural menopause whether trying to balance HRT or determining what might be happening during the fluctuations of perimenopause.

I hope you find this helpful. xxxx

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 09:28:41 PM »

I also find I get fatigue with high oestrogen (as also mentioned in the HS list) which is possibly caused by the over-stimulation of the oestrogen, so I think its the over-working of the nervous system that then finally exhausts and causing the crashed out feeling. Its like an inability to relax, just constant restlessness and exhaustion.