Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: DIGESTION  (Read 1687 times)

discokaren

DIGESTION
« on: June 19, 2018, 12:23:39 PM »

Fed up with my stomach and bowels any one else had lots of issues with this as well has everything else in peri. Constipation, acid, stomach feels sore under ribs, sometimes a tight feeling as if wearing a tight waist band but not, putting weight on around the middle and cant stand anything tight anywhere on my stomach from top to bottom. sometimes feel sick, have been sick a couple of times. head aches most days,,,,,anxiety levels though the roof,,,,cant sleep tired all day,,,,sore gums,,,, dizzy,,,,i feel yak :( >:(     

Dancinggirl

Re: DIGESTION
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »

Yep! Digestive issues do seem to emerge with the menopause. Eat small meals regularly (so eat roughly a third less than you would normally eat at each meal)but make this high in nutrients, low in sugar and saturated fats. Avoid heavy rich foods.  Have a few cashew nuts or a banana as a snack between meals if need be. Cut out caffeine, fruit juices and reduce alcohol. Drink plenty of water and eat lots of veg and you may find the constipation is better. 
Eat slowly, sit quietly after eating for ten minutes and then take a ten minute walk - this will aid digestion.
All these things will help to reduce weight as well, without feeling hungry.
If your gums are sore, do see your dentist - more teeth are lost through gum disease than anything else - so get flossing and brushing to help your gums.
DG x

discokaren

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »

coffee seems to be upsetting me i only have one cup a day, but after it its like a balloon in my stomach

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:13:22 PM »

Coffee and even tea are an irritant and also a diuretic. The tannins are tough on the stomach.  Drinking lots water is the key as it really helps with constipation and keeps you hydrated so can help to prevent headaches
During peri and even into post meno hormones will fluctuate and fall and this makes everything dry out, muscles become lax etc. HRT can be helpful but adjusting diet and exercise is crucial to support the while body and maintain quality of life. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 02:16:36 PM »

Yep.  I have had IBS for years.

I snack.  Graze.  Have safe foods to hand: bananas for slow release energy; a good breakfast; lots of crackers or ginger biscuits as and when; lots of stir fry mixed veg with sliced chicken; pancakes - anything that lines the stomach ;-).

I love the smell of coffee but it makes me feel very sick.  Chocolate gives me heart burn   :(

HORMONES  >:(.  10 mins. B4 a bleed began I would get 'the runs', even if a period wasnt' due  :-\

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »

Anxiety doesn't help either, in fact makes it worse.
When I had high anxiety, I was running up to toilet maybe 3
times a day. At times when I wouldn't expect to go, I was always
regular, like every morning after breakfast, then when I had anxiety
it could strike at any time. Now my anxiety is under control, I'm back to
normal again.........thank god......
Although I can't eat what I used to anymore....it's a bugger ent it....

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 07:49:19 PM »

Hi dicsokaren - sorry to hear you are feeling rough - however if you are regularly feeling sick and being sick, and are experiencing changing digestive/bowel issues I would consult your doctor to get checked out.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »

Yep Jillydoll it sure is!   If my routine is out of kilter even by half a day my bowel begins to niggle ......... like this morning, I had to drive somewhere really early  :-X ........ this afternoon, no sign or sounds from the bowel.