Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Indivina  (Read 1325 times)

Poppi

Indivina
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:29:37 PM »

I'm in a right state and feel that I only come on here to ask for help, never to help other ladies, sorry. Please can somebody give me some comforting advice?
I am definitely post-menopause and been on Indivina for 3 months now. It helped immediately with hot flushes which was my main concern, but after a week I had a thick grey/cream discharge, no itching or smell but it's continued (need to wear a panty liner daily.) This is normal isn't it? 18 months ago I had a "belt 'n braces" check with gynae (after a hormone surge bleed 14 months after last period), a full internal ultrasound and consultant was happy with everything to do with my womb,womb-lining etc and I got the all clear but said I had vaginal atrophy. I have gone off all sex despite HRT and do feel sorry for my husband, but he says intercourse can wait, he loves me and is happy with "intimate cuddles". I don't want to go through all the gynae checks again (we have moved region and the hospital here is much bigger and intimidating) and the discharge is not really bothering me, as I think it's normal for the kind of HRT I'm on now. I was on Prempak 10 years ago at the start of my menopause which suited me perfectly, but is no longer available.

My father-in-law's funeral was yesterday and I am much more upset/distraught than I thought I would be, and have been worrying about everything today. Even the thought of my son's new baby coming in 3-5 weeks is filling me with dread, as I'm frightened I'll interfere too much etc. I feel stupid for worrying about everything but the main worries are this discharge and my FIL's death.

I just want to go to bed and stay there.

Poppi x

Poppi

Re: Indivina
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:46:56 PM »

Just reread my post and now feel that to welcome a new baby to the family is a blessing. FIL had a long and mostly happy life and the suffering he endured for last 3 months is over now.
My own HRT problem is not that important and perhaps now is time to try a natural route, if that doesn't work, I'll tackle that in due course.
Talking and sharing can work wonders, thanks for reading my messages x

Stephjkm

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:10:16 PM »

Hi Poppi,

I hope you're feeling a bit better this evening.  Sorry you're having a tough time. Hugs coming your way

Poppi

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »

Thanks your reply Stephjkm x

Stephjkm

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 05:38:54 AM »

Hi Poppi, you said in your original post that you got the all clear from gynae but have vaginal atrophy. Have you been prescribed vagifem? It really does make a difference and is worth going for. Your GP should be able to prescribe it for you.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 08:18:45 AM »

Hi Poppi

Sorry to hear your sad news about your father-in-law and in the circumstances it is only natural to feel that your problems are not important in the grand scheme of things - but of course they are - and you want to feel as comfortable as you can in your nether regions, and as well as possible for the exciting new event in your life of your son's baby.

Is the HRT working for you otherwise?

As Stephjkm says - some women need to have local oestrogen in addition to systemic so if you have been diagnosed with VA then Vagifem (or estriol cream) is the treatment.

Hurdity x :bighug:

Poppi

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »

I tried that before but find it so uncomfortable to apply. I'm going to try the creams recommended in MM. I've always had this dry problem (since I was 32, I'm now 59)
Is vagifem the only hormonal “help” available?
      Poppi x

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 04:58:45 PM »

The alternative to Vagifem is Ovestin cream. You insert a measured dose with an applicator and can use it externally on the vulva as well. There is also a weaker generic estriol cream which can be used in the same way, but it is only one tenth the strength of Ovestin so you have to use more. They are available on prescription. As well as the estriol preparations you can apply a vaginal moisturiser such as Sylk or one of the Yes products, but not at the same time as the Vagifem or estriol creams.
JP x

Poppi

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »

:thankyou: for all the advice!

Poppi x