Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Fibroid and can not take hrt  (Read 4247 times)

Pand66

Fibroid and can not take hrt
« on: June 15, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »

Hi all just wanted abit of advice please I'm struggling so much with hot sweats I was on hrt which really helped but unfortunately I started to bleed and was taken off hrt after a scan showed a small fibroid,and told that hrt feeds the fibroid...I've tried a few things since but nothing seems to help I've tried sage 6mths no change menopace Dong Quai ...don't even bother with make up any more as slides off face my hair gets messy through the sweats and face goes red I can't go on like this please any advice welcome

Hurdity

Re: Fibroid and can not take hrt
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »

Hi Pand66

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your menopausal symptoms but it is incorrect that fibroids are a contra-indication to HRT! They are not! Whoever made you come off HRT for that reason is wrong. I also had a small fibroid which seems to have disappeared and I have been on HRT for  over 11 years!

This is what it says on this website about fibroids:

Fibroids are benign smooth muscle tumours of the uterine (womb) wall and are dependant on estrogen. They tend to shrink after the menopause but shrinkage may not occur, or they may even increase in size with HRT use. Increase is thought to occur in 25% of HRT users and mainly occurs in the first six months of therapy. There is some evidence that transdermal (patch or gel) but not tablet HRT nor tibolone may promote fibroid growth. [ref 24] Fibroid size can be monitored by regular examinations and sometimes by ultrasound scans. There is some evidence that the use of the progestogen releasing intra-uterine system, Mirena may cause fibroids to reduce in size. Mirena is often used in the perimenopause by women who have heavy periods and/or require contraception and can provide the progestogen part of their HRT.

If they have been identified as the definite cause of your bleeding then the advice should be to make appropriate changes to your hRT regime and monitor them - not to stop if you wish to continue and they are alleviating your symptoms.

How old are you, how long were you on HRT for, what was your cycle doing before you started HRT, how long since you stopped and which type were you on? I hope you don't mind all the questions but answers will help us to help you :)

The alternatives you mention unfortunately as you have found - don't actually work, only HRT (and some prescribable alternatives - anti-depressants - for those who cannot take HRT for valid medical reasons).

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Pand66

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 03:10:23 PM »

My doctor took me off hrt I'm 52 I was on hrt for 6mths a patch ....which all my symptoms disappeared I started getting my periods back which she said should not happen and sent me for a scan which showed a small fibroid.....I've been back and asked to go back on hrt but was a blunt no even told me could cause cancer if I continued....thank you for the information that you sent me 👍😁

Pand66

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:15:46 PM »

More info for you I really do appreciate your reply feeling very alone.... my periods had stoped before I went on hrt I was having awful sweats aches and pains sleepless nights etc ....they have put me on 50mg of Sertraline but after 4mths no change so I went back they increased the dose to 100mg but made me bad headaches feeling sick so gone back to the 50mg x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »

Hello Pand66 and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry that I can't offer you any advice but I thought you might be interested in my experience.

I was diagnosed with a small fibroid at 49 but was still allowed HRT when I asked for it at 54 and I am now 61.
I have experimented with various hormone preparations and when one particular patch caused some bleeding I was sent for investigations which found that despite the HRT my fibroid had disappeared.

Take care and I hope you get the help that you are looking for.

K.

Pand66

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 05:42:17 PM »

Thank you for your welcome and your reply Kathleen I'm going to go back to see the doctor for more information and take advice along with me x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:52:21 PM »

Hi Panda
What hrt were you given? you are probably still peri menopausal so should be on a sequential hrt which gives a monthly withdrawal bleed.  If the GP put you on a continuous hrt or even an oestrogen only hrt, then you would get erratic bleeding.
A small fibroid does not mean you can't have HRT. Your GP is not up to date so ask for a referral To a gynaecologist or menopause clinic.
If you were to have a Mirena fitted this would not only keep your womb lining thin but would probably shrink the fibroid. With the Mirena in place you can then have oestrogen as gel or patch alongside to help reduce all the menopause symptoms without the risk of developing more fibroids.
Look under TREATMENTS on this site to find out more.  DG x

Pand66

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 10:05:26 PM »

Hi dancing girl had blood tests done and was told was in menopause was given the patch Evorel Conti previous to this no bleed for 2years I will go back again with all the info from u wonderful ladies I just keep getting told no but will ask to be referred thank you so much x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 06:36:37 AM »

Even if you are truly post menopause it is very often best to start with a sequi hrt, however, in your case it would be best to have a Mirena with separate oestrogen so I would to try this. DG x

Dotty

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 06:51:55 AM »

It could be that the progesterone in Evorel Conti was too harsh for you and caused the bleed. Try Oestrogel and Utrogestan ..... it's more natural.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 06:58:39 AM »

Dotty - unfortunately Utrogestan isn't as powerful as other progesterone so not as good at keeping the womb lining thin, so erratic bleeding is more likely. Fibroids are fed by oestrigen so unless there is a strong progesterone controlling the build up in the womb lining this can make bleeding problems worse. If Pand66 was getting low mood and PMT with progesterone, then Utrogestan would be a good option - I know many women love Utrogestan ( or at least find it the lesser of all the evils) but I got awful erratic bleeding and cramps with Utrogestan. DG x
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:33:51 AM by Dancinggirl »

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 08:10:33 AM »

As you were two years since your last bleed before starting the Evorel conti it could be that the womb lining had built up a little and your bleeding was caused by the HRT acting to shed this lining. Because you were on continuous combined hRT ( due to being post-menopausal) then this bleeding would be erratic rather than regular like proper periods or withdrawal bleeding from cyclical HRT types like Dancinggirl suggested.

In any case bleeding and spotting is absolutely normal in the first 6 months  (or sometimes up to 9 months) on a conti HRT like you were using, and it is only after 6 months that ongoing bleeding required investigation - which is why I presume you saw the doc?

The doc is also quite wrong in prescribing an anti-depressant for menopausal symptoms after incorrectly deciding you are not able to take HRT. This would be advised if you were medically unable to have HRT - but you are - so hopefully you can restart the HRT and come off the sertraline - if you have not been diagnosed with depression. ADs are known to have a depressive effect on libido.

In your position (ongoing bleeding) I would go onto cyclical HRT and see how you get on. There is a sequential form of the type you were on (Evorel sequi = 2 weeks of Evorel 50 followed by 2 weeks of Evorel conti leading to a withdrawal bleed monthly) so if it suited you otherwise then why not try that one first before trying the other good suggestions you have been given?

Hurdity x

Spangles

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 08:39:25 PM »

Hi Pand66,
I have 3 fibroids and on my last scan 3.5 years ago the largest measured 6cm.
I have been on HRT for years now, Evorel 50 and Utrogestan 200/12. I still get a regular bleed due to the regime I'm on, however it can be severely painful to the point where I can't walk.
However I won't change my regime as I have struggled so much to find one that suits.
It's definitely not perfect and brings with it some unpleasantness but I'm not brave enough to go without or change right now.
I would visit your GP again, just because you have a fibroid does not mean that you can't have HRT if that's what you want.
Take care
Spangles
xXx