Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Turmeric paste for joint pain  (Read 6866 times)

heidif67

Turmeric paste for joint pain
« on: June 15, 2018, 09:13:50 AM »

I have had to stop taking HRT as could not tolerate the Progesterone part so am always looking at diet/lifestyle changes/alternatives to help with the symptoms.

Recently, my knee pain was becoming unbearable - having to pull myself up the stairs using the banister at 51 years of age!!!

A friend of mine (who has her own livery yard and uses it on her horses) suggested turmeric paste.  I've been taking half a teaspoon for about 3 weeks now and I can't believe how much better my knees are.  I wouldn't say the pain has gone completely but I really do hardly notice it at all at the moment.

That's it really.  Just wanted to share something positive.  I found the recipe for the paste on Turmeric Life - think it's an Australian website.

It's working for me, so might work for others.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Turmeric paste for joint pain
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »

It's an old herb? used in powder form in lots of oriental cookery.  It stains too  ;D.   What's wrong with trying it?  Maybe keep a diary of your actives, diet etc. ? 

Do you eat it 'raw' off a spoon ?  :-X

Conolly

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 03:39:55 PM »

Hello heidif67,

Great post, thank you. I also take turmeric capsules, prescribed by an overseas Rheumatologist for osteoarthritis. I have noticed some improvement but it makes me bleed easily from minor bruises. I have decreased the prescribed dose and now it seems to be working without this side effect.

Conolly X

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:43:21 PM »

I also make the paste for my hubby and I have started taking it, doesnt taste great but does the trick.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 06:50:49 PM »

Any bruising should be examined by a Doctor.  It should not be a side effect from anything we ingest but can be a sign of leukaemia !

Conolly

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »

Hi CLKD,

Don't worry, turmeric can slow blood clotting. That's actually good for me because I have hereditary thrombophilia.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-662/turmeric

Conolly X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:29:19 PM »

Learns something every day I does  :foryou:

Conolly

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 07:37:25 PM »

You're welcome  :great:

Tempest

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »

That's brilliant, Heidi! :)

Strangely, I was chatting to my taxi driver about this today who was a lovely man who is very into Ayurvedic medicine. We swapped lots of tips. Tumeric is simply marvellous for inflammation.

My top tip for those that can't take HRT are the adaptogenic herbs that support the adrenals - most specifically Aswaganda. If you're interested, go and have a 'google' - there is a lot of info out there! I favoured the Pure Veda range as they use absolutely no fillers or solvents in their supplements or production process. xxxx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 07:57:23 PM »

Aloe Vera products are supposedly good but apparently taste foul  ::)

heidif67

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »

Hi again..

CLKD ...  I stir it into about an inch of hot water and neck it back as quick as I can.  Then clean my teeth  ;D  There are all sorts of ways to take it on the website I mentioned, but the hot water way is super quick, no fuss!  I have a really good friend who swears by aloe vera.  She starting taking it in her very early 20s and doesn't have a wrinkle on her!!  I hate her with a passion  ;)

Connoly ...  I haven't noticed any extra bruises from taking the paste.  Will monitor it - thanks.

Tempest ...  Thanks for the tip - will certainly look into it.  I am honestly staggered what a fab job the turmeric is doing so am certainly open to trying adaptogenic herbs. 

In the meantime, I'll keep taking my soya / flaxseed / banana smoothies & whacking down the magic yellow paste.  It all seems to be working much better than I thought, and having a positive attitude certainly helps.

H x

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 01:15:35 PM »

I started taking it for tendinitis, nothing else but was making much impression. I was surprised how effective it is, I've had no pain for about a month now. I put my old dog on it for her arthritis & she was bouncing about again. Good stuff.
I add the optional cinnamon & pop a frozen lump into my coffee. Actually tastes quite nice like that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:17:25 PM by suziq99 »

heidif67

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 01:20:44 PM »

suziq99  ...  Great stuff....  Glad it's working for you too.   ;)

As it's having such a positive effect on my painful knees, it also improves my mood as a secondary result.  So... Less achey, more happy!

Boom!

Rosebush

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 11:40:38 AM »

Hi Ladies :) does anyone have a link to a site explaining more about Turmeric, i have horrible knee pain due to O/A and would like to give this herb a try..xx

Cassie

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »

If you are on FB there is a group called Tumeric Users Group, there are some extremely knowledgeable people in the group who will be able to answer all your questions.
Pages: [1] 2