Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sleep .... or lack of :-(  (Read 2260 times)

geminizb

Sleep .... or lack of :-(
« on: June 12, 2018, 03:44:54 PM »

So I'm new to this - started Sandrena last week, got the Mirena in already.
I'm struggling with sleeping massively and I've never not been able to sleep so the tiredness feels like hell.
I'm one of those that needs 8 hours to function and I'm lucky if I'm managing 4 hours a night.
I've changed to a lightweight duvet and my room is calm and tech free - no TV, phones etc
I've even tried sleeping pills which contain Diphenhydramine and I still don't get a decent nights sleep.

I drive for work and am usually up and about for 5.45am so I can't take anything stronger as I wont be able to do my job.

Any help and advice would be really appreciated as I feel like a zombie and the tiredness is making me even more tearful  :'(

TIA
Zx

Dancinggirl

Re: Sleep .... or lack of :-(
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 03:51:28 PM »

I'm afraid sleep problems are a typical menopause symptom. The HRT should help but it may take a few weeks to work it's magic.
If flushes and night sweats are not improved in the next 3-6 weeks then you may need a higher dose of oestrogen. Do learn some relaxation techniques - I find Mindfulness really helpful. DG x

geminizb

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 04:00:20 PM »

Thank you

I've just ordered a sleep mask to see if that helps.
I also found the sticky thread about sleep issues and I can see its a major issue for lots of us.
I'm not great at mindfulness and that kind of thing - I can't sit still for two minutes and I'm always wired  ::)
It's just how I am - I never switch off but I always used to get a good nights sleep.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 04:05:14 PM »

I was one of those people that was always on the go - I've had to learn to relax more. It takes a lot of discipline but it's worth it - you will probably sleep better as well. DG x

Mrs Bella

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 04:18:26 PM »

Hi Geminizb,
I have developed insomnia since starting menopause. It's the pits. Check out a thread I started called “Natural Sleep Aids”. The MM ladies have provided lots of ideas/suggestions and support on there. Well worth a read if you need sleep.
Hope you sleep well soon.

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »

I am exactly the same as you, I have to have 8 hours of undisturbed sleep (without light coming into the room) every night in order to function!  Insomnia is yet another symptom of oestrogen deprivation and the only way to cure it is by replacing your lost oestrogen.  My mother hasn't had a full night's sleep for well over 35 years (1982 if I remember rightly) and it all started when her periods stopped.  It has had a horrendous affect on her health and I would definitely not want to go there myself.

You are on the right track but need to consider increasing your oestrogen dose if you don't get any traction after a couple of months.  You might want to consider Oestrogel which dries more quickly and comes in a convenient pump making it very easy to adjust the dose.  Because you have a Mirena coil, you can use up to 4 pumps every day which is a huge bonus!  The worst that can happen is that you have an occasional bleed.

Hope you get some improvement soon.

Letmein

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »

Another one who used to sleep so well no matter how wired/stressed I was and who now desperately suffers from lack or poor sleep. In my case, HRT didn't help. The Oestrogen didn't help much whilst the progesterone made me feel so hyper, it made it much worse. I've been much better since coming off it.

I understand mindfulness doesn't come easily to you, it didn't for me either but with time, I've embraced its principles. I don't do the exercise as prescribed, but I'm slowly managing to learn to get my brain to relax. I've started walking in the evenings, and concentrating on what I see, hear, smell and with time, it is slowly coming more naturally.

I've also stopped fighting it and I've just accepted that it's part of the menopause experience. The lack of sleep means that I'm not the person I used to be but I'm still managing, it's just much more difficult. One trick that is helping me cope with the anxiety of sleep deprivation is to have half a prescribed sleeping tablet and tell myself that it is ok to take it if I'm not asleep 3 hours after going to bed. Just knowing that I have this option in desperation means that I don't often need it. I find that with half a tablet, I am ok getting up at 5:30.

What helps to is talking about it as I found that many female colleagues who seem so upbeat and in control deep inside are struggling just as much to keep up the appearance. I can't wait to get some proper sleep again, I'll never take it for granted again!!

geminizb

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »

Thanks everyone
I was prescribed oestrogel but there wasn't a pharmacy in the town I live in that had stock so my GP changed my script to sandrena.
I'm only 5 days in and my GP wants to see me again after 4 weeks.
It's so hard to slow down isn't it ! I have so much I need to do that I just don't have the luxury of time. There are just so many of us in the same boat- being a woman officially sucks at times.

Mrs Bella

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 01:12:37 AM »

Thanks everyone
I was prescribed oestrogel but there wasn't a pharmacy in the town I live in that had stock so my GP changed my script to sandrena.
I'm only 5 days in and my GP wants to see me again after 4 weeks.
It's so hard to slow down isn't it ! I have so much I need to do that I just don't have the luxury of time. There are just so many of us in the same boat- being a woman officially sucks at times.
That's great news! I hope it works for you. And yes, being a woman definitely sucks at times  ;)

sadielouise78

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 11:41:12 AM »

Hi, I've been having problems with sleep too and my doctor gave me a choice of Amitripyline, sleeping tablets or Phenergan (which she described as the tablets they give to old people at night in nursing homes).  I choose Phenergan which is a drowsy antihistamine which work great and can be bought over the counter (although I bought some more from an online chemist).  I took them for two weeks and slept really well.  The first few days I have really drowsy in the mornings too but I think that was just because I had actually had some good sleep.  Now I take them maybe twice a week if I find my sleeping is off again and take them about two hours before I go to bed.  They don't knock you out they just help with falling asleep and have a good nights sleep.

Sarah x

Mrs Bella

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »

Hi, I've been having problems with sleep too and my doctor gave me a choice of Amitripyline, sleeping tablets or Phenergan (which she described as the tablets they give to old people at night in nursing homes).  I choose Phenergan which is a drowsy antihistamine which work great and can be bought over the counter (although I bought some more from an online chemist).  I took them for two weeks and slept really well.  The first few days I have really drowsy in the mornings too but I think that was just because I had actually had some good sleep.  Now I take them maybe twice a week if I find my sleeping is off again and take them about two hours before I go to bed.  They don't knock you out they just help with falling asleep and have a good nights sleep.

Sarah x
Hi Sarah!
I have taken a similar thing called Restive. Unfortunately it didn't help.
I am leaving all electronic devices in the kichen at night instead of by my bed. By not looking at my phone to see the time, I think it's helping me get a better nights sleep.
Thank you for responding to my thread Sarah  :)