Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Heavy bleed on estrogel  (Read 4282 times)

Jaylow

Heavy bleed on estrogel
« on: June 11, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »

I'd appreciate some more of the great advice from this forum please. I started estrogel after being on the femseven sequi patch. The patches made me feel a bit better but weren't lasting the week. On the patches my bleed was regular at half way through the 2 weeks of progesterone patches. However on the last cycle I didn't bleed at all. I started on estrogel after the 2 weeks of progesterone patches. Then on day 11 of estrogel I started a bleed, heavy not breakthrough bleeding. This was 4 days ago and still bleeding now. It's like a normal period but I was expecting it to happen after I'd started the progesterone capsules.  Any idea why I've had a bleed during the estrogen only time? I wonder if I'll bleed again now during the prog time which will start in 3 days time. Really don't want 2 bleeds every month.

Also I'm not feeling too good on estrogel, do I need to give it more time? I feel embarrassed that I pushed for the gel but now I don't know its working for me.. I felt better on the first few days of a patch before it wore off.

Dancinggirl

Re: Heavy bleed on estrogel
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 04:55:57 PM »

Hi
What meno symptoms are you trying to control?
What progesterone are you using?
The withdrawal bleed with any sequential HRT regime would normally happen AFTER you finish the progesterone phase - so should arrive when on the oestrogen only phase. You shouldn't have had you bleed during the progesterone phase - you may have had absorption issues. If you didn't get a bleed on the last cycle of the Femseven then your womb lining probably built up and this would result in a heavier bleed - things will hopefully settle over the next few cycles with your new regime. Just start the prog when you are supposed to and allow you body to adjust over the next few months.
You do need to give the Oestrogel time to work it's magic - it takes 3-6 months for the body to adjust to any hrt.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 07:37:30 PM »

Also if you are peri-menopausal then your own cycle may kick in some months ie you ovulated at a different time that is out of sync with your HRT.

As Dancgingirl says - give the estrogel time. However if after 3 months you haven't acclimatised to it then you can always go back to oestrogen only patches at a higher dose, but with a separate progestogen. Alternatively you could have a Mirena coil fitted as it contains the same progstogen as Femseven - and then choose the patch dose that deals most effectively with your symptoms.

Hurdity x

Jaylow

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 09:11:55 PM »

Thanks for the replies. It may have been my own cycle kicking in as I've had a migraine this time like I always used to before the femseven stopped them. Then again maybe it was a build up of womb lining from missing a bleed, my stomach was very bloated this time.. the symptoms I'm trying to control are hot flashes, waking through the night, dry skin / vag / eyes / mouth, aching bones, loss of libido, and a general feeling like crap. I'll be starting on utrogestan this time, previously on femseven sequi progesterone.

I'll stick with it and see how things settle. I do need to keep taking the estrogel on the days I take utrogestan don't I?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 09:32:53 PM »

Yes, use the Oestrogel everyday. I assume you are using 2 pumps per day and applying to inner thigh?

If you are taking Utrogestan orally then take 2 capsule before bed on an empty stomach. To minimise side effects you can use Utrogestan vaginally. DG x

Jaylow

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 07:07:01 AM »

Yes 2 pumps per day. I've been doing outer thigh, I'll try inner.
Was going to try utrogestan vaginally, 2 capsules before bed? Hope it doesn't spoil erm relations ha. Could I take it say mainly vaginally and the occasional day orally? Or is it best to be consistent?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 07:51:28 AM »

The skin on the inner thigh is thinner so absorption will be better. It does say in the instructions to apply on ‘inner' thighs. Don't have sex for about 4-6 hours after inserting the Utrogestan capsules and I would certain NOT chop and change between oral and vaginal use as this will possibly effect the balance and cause erratic bleeding.  I'm afraid hubby will simply have to understand that the nights you use the Utro will be off limits unless you insert the Utro after sex.   DG x