Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Night sweats... concentration issues and tired... suggestions please  (Read 2667 times)

TraceyTracey

I have been using low dose estrodial patches for nearly 3 years. I am 47 and started menopause early.  I struggled for about 2 years before I started the patches, I had a long list of symptoms and suddenly felt old, achy and depressed.     I am lucky the patches do work for me.  I have energy and get my work done, but feel tired at home in the evening and often fall asleep in front of the tv at night (this is not like me).  I also regularly struggling to concentrate and by Thursday/ Friday I am worn out.   My job is very demanding, I am kept on my toes... The other symptom that stands out now despite the patches is waking up soaked in sweat around the neck, torso and sometimes lower back.   No red flushes and  no flushes or heating up during the day at work.   I sleep through the sweats too. I wear earplugs and get around 6-7 hours sleep which seems to work for me.   Is this normal?   What can I do about the sweating, concentration and tiredness.    I am changing my night wear every night and bed sheets and pillow every 2-3 days.   Is there something I can do to calm the sweating down and get my edge back.   Thanks  :)

Sgtvhilts

Sound familiar!
I had all the symptoms you describe, but what did for me was the night sweats , brain fog and wee wakes ( about 3 a night) so i have just started the hrt and already a huge improvment.
Sounds like you need a review of meds, your symptoms are increasing, so follows that you need a dose increase or change of regieme.

Taz2

Hi TraceyTracey - I would think that as you are now further into menopause your oestrogen levels have dropped further and your low dose is not enough. What dose are you on and what progesterone are you using - unless you have had a hysterectomy of course and don't need it?

Taz x

Annie0710

Going by your symptoms Tracey I'd say you need to increase your oestrogen dose.  I'm a night flusher (not day) when levels are low so I tweak my dose enough to stop them.  Xx

Mary G

Tracey, this is an easy one to answer!  I think you simply need to increase your oestrogen dose.  Your oestrogen levels are dropping all the time until your ovaries eventually give out so chances are you will have to adjust your oestrogen dose from time to time to allow for it.  You should never have night sweats and they should completely disappear when you get your oestrogen dose right.  If they come back in the future, you will need to increase further.

I hope that helps.

Taz2

One thing to check if you are only having night sweats is that you haven't got a low-grade infection. These can often go undetected but  make you feel generally under the weather with sweating at night. You can ask for a blood test at the doc to check that all is well.

Taz x

TraceyTracey

Thank you ladies.  I use Evorel 50.  1 patch for 3 days and 2 patches for 4 days.  I have the marina coil fitted for Progeterone.

Perhaps I need 2 patches and change every 4 days?

Your posts are encouraging thank you.

Dancinggirl

You can get higher doses patches - I wouldn't simply doubly up or you may find this is too high a dose. Just go for the next up which is probably 75.
You do need to get your thyroid checked though as it's strange that you only get night sweats. Also get your vitamin D levels checked.
You may simply need a bit more sleep and relaxation - we can't expect to maintain the same level of energy and cope with high stress as we did 10-20 years ago. Hrt won't fix everything - be kinder to yourself.
DG x

TraceyTracey

Thanks. I will ask my doctor about Thyroid and 75 patches.  I was going to change the dose myself to use up my existing patches.   My doc is great, a woman who is going through this too so she listens to me.

Yes I should relax more... it's just frustrating that in the couple of hours a day I have to myself I tend to drop off to sleep in the middle of a little TV.

Will the memory and concentration issues go away eventually and I will the brain fog go...   I don't recall my Nan's brain and interaction ever not being as sharp as a knife.. ever.

Also does the HRT not stop the menopause from happening / postpone the worst. or just make it slow down and be more manageable...

Thanks

Annie0710

It can't change the speed of menopause, it'll happen anyway but it can lessen/eradicate the symptoms

X

Dancinggirl

Hrt does not delay the meno it is a hormone supplement - so symptoms may return when you stop hrt but as nobody can tell you how long meno symptoms will last, once oestrogen levels bottom out around 2 years after the last natural period, it at least maintains many body functions better and supports quality of life.
I'm afraid ageing, with or without HRT, will mean less energy so adjusting the lifestyle to build in more R&R is important. I am 62 and stopped systemic HRT 2 years ago and flushes have now settled ( still get too hot at night) but my energy levels have dropped significantly.
  If you don't get at least 20 minutes of sunshine everyday, then you well be vitamin D deficient so do take a supplement daily. Lack of Vit D will bring fatigue, low mood and aching joints.
DG x

Annie0710

i May be an exception but I've only ever had night sweats when oestrogen is low, I can't ever recall having a hot flush during the day x

Daisydot

Gosh Annie I had them 24/7 and it felt like every few minutes all of a sudden I'd go bright red from the neck up I hated it and people could see it as I'm so fair,my neck was soaken wet and my long hair all matted it was the worst time of my life I'm so grateful to the hrt for that relief alone lol.xx

Annie0710

My mum was like that but my night sweats ,  and it was quite a few during each night, left me drenched from mid tummy up.  That was when I was 32, hrt totally stopped them but it's always a sure sign for me when my oestrogen is low x