Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: 3 months on femseven conti  (Read 1437 times)

Millie02

3 months on femseven conti
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:05:34 AM »

Hi I'm 51 and gp has confirmed by blood tests that I'm menopausal. Not had period for 2 years. I started femseven conti patches 3 months ago all been ok so far until 2 days ago started with what appears to be a really heavy period with cramps etc. Bit worried wonder whether to stop patches or carry on. Could the patches cause this. Can't get appt with doctor till next week. Any advice please or anyone had similar?? Thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: 3 months on femseven conti
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:16:38 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Millie02

Had you gone a full 12 months without a natural period or bleed before starting this HRT?
It's very normal to get some bleeding and spotting in the first 3-6 months on any conti HRT but if it continues beyond 6 months or is particularly heavy then this should be investigated.  If you are still peri meno then the conti patches weren't appropriate, and would result in problematic bleeding, as you should then be on a sequi HRT regime.  Sometimes there is a problem with absorption with patches and it you want a truly non bleed HRT combo then the Mirena with separate oestrogen as gel or patch is a good option.

I would carry on and see what happens - things may settle.  Keep us posted.  DG x

Millie02

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl for reply. I had a Mirena removed as it had been in for 6 1/2 years as I was told keep till menopause as not for contraception but heavy periods 10 years ago (this was my second Mirena)This was removed 3 months ago then gp started me on femseven conti straight away so no way of knowing whether still having natural periods as I'd not had any sign of spotting or period for over 2 years.  I will see if it settles and if not then get an appt with my gp x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »

Millie - you may not have been fully post menopause at 51, so you shouldn't have been given the conti HRT patches.

If you suffered with heavy periods before then you are possibly more likely to get problematic bleeding with HRT as pills or patch.   Why not have another Mirena fitted?  Mirena with separate Oestrogel or oestrogen patch can be the ideal HRT combo. DG x