Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: 8 years after Total hysterectomy  (Read 1724 times)

Maxwin

8 years after Total hysterectomy
« on: May 18, 2018, 12:50:24 PM »

Hello, had total hysterectomy nearly 8 years ago, went into surgical meno and on HRT patches.  Ticked along nicely (now nearly 59 years of age) still on HRT.  2 weeks ago got out of the shower and realised I was bleeding (not gushing or anything but it was bright red, no smell and soon stopped).  Felt well in myself no pains.  Had intercourse 48 hours previously.  Been to Doctors she gave me thorough examination all was ok but to be safe and due to age sending me for non urgent hospital visit (appointment mid July)  Anyone else had this?  If having sex caused it surely it would happen straight away not 48 hours later.  No cervix so just bit puzzled.  Any help/advice welcome. Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 8 years after Total hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 01:15:07 PM »

Could be the start of atrophy.  As oestrogen levels drop off so the body may dry: inside and out  :o  ::). Did the GP comment on the condition of the vagina?

You could ask for localised HRT.  Read our various threads on vaginal atrophy, i.e. 'my bladder etc.' to get in idea.  Then have a chat with the Practice Nurse or GP.

let us know how you get on!

Maxwin

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »

Hi, was thinking along those lines.  Doctor didn't mention condition just said it looked ok.  Don't want to waste a hospital appointment if all that is needed is localised HRT cream.  Have read few threads will check few more.  thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:52:26 PM »

It won't be a waste as such - any untoward bleeding should be investigated.  Could be a polyp  ::) but mine shrunk [shrank?] at peri.. 

You may need lots more lube too ;-). Do ring the surgery and ask about atrophy treatment.

Maxwin

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »

Been to hospital today (they had a cancellation) quick examination and told all was fine nothing untoward or sinister, just one of those things!  :)

Tempest

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 05:31:38 PM »

That's great news Maxwin!  :)You inspire me - just started on my patches today at a very low dose. Hoping I can have the same success as you. xxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »

Hi Maxwin

If youve had a total hysterectomy - did the hospital say what the cause of the bleeding was? I presume it can only have come from the vagina - not sure what happens to the end of the vagina once the cervix has been removed - is the hole sewn together so the vagina doesn't go anywhere? Maybe the bleeding is from scar tissue at the end of the vagina? Could it be from VA ie the vaginal tissues themselves becoming very fragile? Sorry if TMI but have only just thought about it as you mentioned bleeding!

Hurdity x

Maxwin

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »

hI hurdity, they gave me no explanation really other than was it possible I had 'nicked' myself!  But it was definitely not that, as you say the end of the vagina is sewn like a cuff (end of a sock lol), they mentioned nothing about VA so can presume its not that.  Just hoping it was a one off but they said go back if it happens again.