Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Struggling  (Read 1878 times)

NickyLD

Struggling
« on: June 04, 2018, 11:30:23 AM »

Hi there,

In Nicky, will introduce myself properly when I have a bit more time. Been peri for years I think but relatively stable until Christmas when I experienced what I thought was a bit of a mental breakdown, but actually was diagnosed as needing HRT by the lovey doctor that I was sobbing to! I'm nearly 44.

I was very happily on Estelle duet (think that's the name) and felt a million times better, but my aches and pains were much worse. Dropped down to 1mg from 2mg and aches and pains better but a bit glittery and couldn't get my words out properly. 

Cue Dr saying it could be absorption problem and try Evorel patches. I've been on them a week and been dreadful, anxious, jaw ache, palpitations, insomnia.... all the old symptoms back. I stupidly didn't associate the symptoms yesterday with the change and yesterday in desperation took an anti depressant tablet from the pack that I knew I didn't need to take when the doctors first told me I was depressed...... then I felt a million times worse!

So back to the doctors today. Should I go back on the tablets and ignore the aches and pains to you think or try something else? The symptoms scare me to be honest as I feel so out of control.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Oh and by the way..... does HRT often interfer with the odd G&T? When I was feeling well I've had a couple of nights out and woken up feeling violently ill (sick, upset tummy, clammy, dizzy) - I'd assumed it was low pressure - it usually passes after 10-15 mins or so but it's reaaly scary when it happens.

Gosh sorry there's a lot to ponder....

Any help gratefully received

Nicky

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Struggling
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »

Alcohol ......... many ladies find that during The Change affects there !! their?  absorption and reactions.  Give it a break?

Maybe put your medication into the search box on here to see what others have found?  Browse round, make notes.

:welcomemm:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 02:34:32 PM by CLKD »

dangermouse

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »

Any excess medications can overload the liver so it's less efficient when you drink.

Try to get hold of some liquid milk thistle (Whole Foods do one) and then take before bed if you've had a drink and it will clear your liver much more quickly. It's quick acting and will stop palpitations within about a minute.

knorman

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »

I have not been able to drink alcohol since being peri and still now nearly two years post meno, can't touch it.  A friend who experienced the same thing said that eventually, once she was through the worst of her menopause, that she was gradually able to drink again. I'm more than happy not to drink at the moment, but looking forward to the day when a glass of Pimm's, fizz, or red wine will not bring me to my feet! I managed to take HRT for 3.5 blissful weeks before it caused me problems with my tongue, lips and mouth and I had to stop. It was over the Christmas period and strangely I managed to drink fizz with no consequences whatsoever. Nice whilst it lasted.  I hope the HRT is sorted out for you as when it works, it is amazing.

Tiddles

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:48:56 AM »

Hi NickyLD

Nice to meet you and welcome. I'm sure someone knowledgable on the various types of HRT will be along to advise you on what is better for someone like you who experiences aches and pains on HRT - there are some very clued up ladies on here.

As regards the symptoms you describe after alcohol, which part of the month was this?  When I was on Elleste Duet I experienced dizziness, nausea etc during the 2nd (progesterone) half of the month.  I've now changed to Femoston 1/10 and whilst I still experience those symptoms during the 2nd half of the month they are MUCH better and I can put up with them.  I am avoiding alcohol during that 2nd half of the month to give myself the best possible chance of feeling well.

I am learning that HRT is a bit of a compromise - you have to weigh up which symptoms you can live with and which you really want to eliminate and go with the treatment that addresses your worst symptoms.  Sounds to me as if the tablets did more for you than the patches so can you live with the aches and pains?  Also, do you exercise at all?  Flexibility exercises, or yoga might help.  I also swear by a hot bath and a hot water bottle in bed or when I'm sitting down in the evening (something I couldn't do in my pre-HRT days of hot flushes!)

Best of luck to you x

Mustard1

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »

HI Nicky LD - what happened to you happened to me.  My doctor thought I had a breakdown in January this year and prescribed diazapham and citaloporam.  I didn't take the diazapham but did take the Citalopram which I am still on.  Then in March it became clear that my issues were hormone related.  I had been on Kliofem for 9 years (tablets) but the Menoopause Doctor I saw believed my receptors had stopped working.  I can say that the first 3 days on citalopram were horrendous - I didn't want to live and then it calmed to a general depression.  I am now on Everol Conti (50) patches.   These really helped for the first 5 weeks and then I sort of relapsed and the Men. Doctor added estrogel into my regime on 25th April.  I am probably OK with most symptoms except i go to the toilet about 5 to 7 times at night and I have horrendous anxiety at some point during the day.  Thank goodness, it doesn't last all day.  I about found the whole episode terrifying as I have been fortunate never to battle anxiety before in my life so am slightly ill equipped.  However, I do believe that HRT is helpful and that it is just a case of finding the correct HRT and a good doctor. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and as some of the experienced ladies will advise look after your diet, keep a diary, try mediation etc etc.  I hope you come out the other side soon.  M xx

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »

Hi Nicky,
I can relate to all your symtoms- its pants.
My advice would be don't try to much new stuff at the same time. You won't know which one to blame!
I would regard myself a rather an expert on antidepressants!! I have been off but mostly on them since i was 21 eeke 25+ years. They make you feel like 💩when you first start. I have learned to start on half a tab then up it from there, once they kick in they are very effective.
I have just started hrt and developed what i would say are gall bladder symptoms- not sure if this is common or not.
Stick with one at a time- oh and you are allowed to have days where you feel like💩, be a bit kinder to yourself.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 08:50:07 PM »

I have a thread: "My Depression" I think I called it  ::) - my journey to hell and back.