Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: How to come off hrt?  (Read 1366 times)

TrishFlowers

How to come off hrt?
« on: June 03, 2018, 04:41:54 PM »

Hi there, i've been on HRT for 4 years now but would really like to come off it and see how I get on naturally. Everyone says you shouldn't just stop taking it - but how do I wean myself off? or do you just stop? Any advice would be very gratefully received. Thanks

Daisydot

Re: How to come off hrt?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 04:53:29 PM »

If you wish to come off hrt then I'd definately do it under the guidance of my doctors so probably be a good idea to make an appointment and discuss as they know what hrt your on and the effects of stopping it,bleeds etc. Good luck x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »

HI and welcome to MM

Why do you want to come off HRT?

I've tried both ways - weaning off gradually and going cold turkey and it makes not difference - as soon as the oestrogen levels drop, the symptoms usually start to reappear, unless you are one of the lucky ones who find things settle really quickly - and this can happen.  How long the meno symptoms continue will vary from women to women and for some the symptoms never subside.  I stopped systemic HRT 2 years ago, I'm 62 now, and my flushes have greatly reduced over the last year or so but I do drink soya milk and take Red Clover.  I have also changed my lifestyle considerably, so only work part time and do a lot more relaxation with good brisk walks every day.
A Good diet with plenty of exercise and lots of relaxation time,  cutting out as much stress as possible is the only way to cope without HRT.
I do still use Vagifem local oestrogen for the urogenital atrophy though and will use this for the rest of my life.

Why not simply stop the HRT and see how things go? OR - Depending on what you are taking - if you are on a conti HRT pill you could try doing a month of a pill every other day - if using patches you could cut the patches in half. 
DG x

weathergirl

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »

I echo what dancinggirl has said. I did stop for about 2 months then went back to a very low (as low as available) dose which surprisingly still stops flushes for me. Depending on how high your dose is, you may want to gradually drop down. But I stopped cold turkey from a mid level dose and did not have any return of symptoms for about a month.  Good luck 🍀👍🏻 xxxx

TrishFlowers

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 08:41:43 PM »

Thanks both. I want to come off as am panicking about endometrial cancer (Dancing girl - you replied to me in the personal experience forum as ive had the coil in for 9.5 years and been taking oestrogen only - at the shockingly bad advice from my doctor). While I'm waiting for the scan i've just panicked and stopped taking the new pill he gave me (1mg oestrogen/0.5mg progesterone). then I was looking at Maryon Stewarts site and she says you shouldn't really stop cold turkey (but I'm worried that ive had too much oestrogen so far). I don't understand how much of each you need/should have? Like you say about taking red clover/soya milk as a natural oestrogen - but what would be the natural progesterone? and do you need that?

When I have the scan - what thickness should my womb lining be - and what is a concern? I really don't understand any of it.
also - is the 1mg/0,5mg pill classed as a high/medium or low does hrt?

Thanks both.
Trish xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 07:36:32 AM »

Trish - please don't panic. I think there have been studies done about coming off hrt and there were no firm conclusions about what is the best way to do this so simply  stopping won't be a big issue.
If you having phytoestrogens like Red Clover and extra soya these do not need progesterone as the effect is very weak, hiwever I believe women who have had oestrogen receptive breast cancer are adviced not to increase phytoestrogens in their diet.
I take REd Clover because there is some evidence that it can help heart and bones and sometimes help to reduce flushes a bit. I suspect my flushes are reducing a bit because my body is adjusting more now ( I am 62) and I am taking life a lot more easily these days - I've cut out as much stress as possible.
The Hrt dose you were given was low dose and they will tell you at the scan whether there is a concern about the thickness of your womb lining - if you have had heavy bleeding or bleeding doesn't stop a few days after stopping hrt,  then there might be some concern. Try not to worry.
The amount of oestrogen a women needs will be very individual.
By taking a break from all hormones for a few weeks, this will give you a chance to truly access where you are in your meno journey and how tolerable any meno symptoms you experience are  - you can then decide how you wish to manage things going forward.
If your scan is in 4-6 weeks time then this could be perfect as you may feel you simply want them to insert a new Mirena and you can then just add in a bit of Oestrogen as Oestrogel or ‘oestrogen only' patch to control your flushes.
Your GP has been at fault over your old Mirena and he/she is now panicking because it is their lack of due diligence that has landed you in this situation. I doubt there are any real problems, so stop browsing all the various scary stuff on the net and concentrate on a lifestyle with good diet, exercise and, every importantly, regular relaxation and see how things go. Keep us posted DG x

TrishFlowers

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »

Thank you DG - I will do as you've told me (or try to)! I will keep you posted.
Trish xx