Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Periods come back  (Read 1184 times)

lizzog

Periods come back
« on: June 01, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »

I'm 52 and have been going through the menopause for what seems like an eternity.
I'm on Oestrogel with a mirena and last year hardly had any periods. This year I had a period last month and now am bleeding heavily again this month (I'm on holiday too- groan)...
Is this normal?! I'm on my 2nd mirena which was fitted to eradicate heavy bleeds- it's got one year left, I kind of feel my body's having one last fling!!

Dancinggirl

Re: Periods come back
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:47:09 AM »

Hi lizzog - when you say your Mirena has ‘one year left', how long has it been in place?  For HRT purposes it should only be in for 4 years before changing it ( 5 years or more before menopause), and maybe it's run out of progesterone and this might mean that the womb lining is building up and would explain the heavy bleeding.  Before meno hits and in early peri meno you are still producing some progesterone yourself so if the Mirena it just used for contraceptive purposes, then when it runs out of progesterone this won't matter. However, if you aren't producing any progesterone (I suspect you're deeper into meno now so not producing progesterone) then you need it changed at least every 4 years.  IF it's been in 4 years then I'd pop to the doctor have a new one inserted.
Mirena will Oestrogel is a great HRT combo and if it has suited you to date then I would continue with this. DG x

lizzog

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 04:07:58 PM »

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I thought that too about progesterone running out. Will make an appointment at Drs to discuss it. I was not good last time I had it removed and had a very bad bleed and couldn't get second one in. Did eventually but wasn't an experience I was hoping to repeat!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »

Changing the Mirena can sometimes be tricky (especially if the person doing it isn't experienced)  but last time may have just been unfortunate and it could well go smoothly this time round. The heavy bleed you experienced with the removal last time may have been because the lining had built up and the Mirena needed changing.  If you are prone to heavier bleeding then it is good to stick with the Mirena as it is the best way to keep the lining thin - other forms of HRT can sometimes result in problematic bleeding.  DG x

lizzog

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »

Hi DG. Just back from holiday and now checked in my diary and it looks as though my 2nd mirena was only fitted 2 years 2 months ago. I've had a bleed last month and a pretty heavy one this month. I'm starting to wonder if it's moved?? I'm going to ring Dr tomorrow for some advice but she seems a bit clueless on hrt/meno/mirena matters  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 07:20:22 AM »

It's worth getting it checked but not all women are bleed free with a Mirena I'm afraid. How much gel do you use? DG x

lizzog

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 03:30:28 PM »

I use one pump twice a day. I've got an appointment to see
the nurse at our practice this week so will see what she says once she's checked it over.