Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: How do you keep yourself motivated?  (Read 1637 times)

AngsanaBlossom

How do you keep yourself motivated?
« on: June 01, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »

For the past year I have been feeling low and absolutely shattered. Even more so lately. I used to be a super fit, active person and now I'm just knackered. I did recently lose a stone and a half and have half a stone to go to my goal weight. I just can't motivate myself to do it. I also used to work out 5 times a week and can't be bothered at the moment. I have also neglected taking my usual care of myself such as doing my nails, hair, cloths and makeup. My GP has given me some low does HRT to see if it makes this better. I am not depressed, just shattered, but do have anxiety.

I know that at this time in my life I now need to, more than ever take care of my mental health, my physical health and my fitness.

How do you keep yourself motivated to stay on top of your health and fitness?

Wilks

Re: How do you keep yourself motivated?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 10:31:02 AM »

Hi, I've done loads of sport all my life, and until last autumn I would think nothing of a 100-mile bike ride. Then suddenly the anxiety and exhaustion hit me. The prolonged fatigue and anxiety drove me into severe depression for 4 months. Testosterone and fluoxetine have largely got me out of it.

Mrs Bella

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »

For the past year I have been feeling low and absolutely shattered. Even more so lately. I used to be a super fit, active person and now I'm just knackered. I did recently lose a stone and a half and have half a stone to go to my goal weight. I just can't motivate myself to do it. I also used to work out 5 times a week and can't be bothered at the moment. I have also neglected taking my usual care of myself such as doing my nails, hair, cloths and makeup. My GP has given me some low does HRT to see if it makes this better. I am not depressed, just shattered, but do have anxiety.

I know that at this time in my life I now need to, more than ever take care of my mental health, my physical health and my fitness.

How do you keep yourself motivated to stay on top of your health and fitness?
Hi, I too am struggling to keep on top of my health and fitness. I am exhausted pretty much all the time. Some days I stand in my kitchen not knowing where to start as I have no motivation to do anything. I find if I stick to a routine, I generally get everything done that I need to. I also commit to a daily run of at least an hour. Some days I can't even be bothered stepping outside...so I push myself to walk to my mailbox and back (2km). It's not running, but at least I am active. The funny thing is that when I get back I often want to do it again. I also wear a Fitbit. I can't stand how it vibrates when I need to take X amount of steps. So I do them so it stops vibrating. I am not sure if the above is helpful to you, but it works for me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:28:15 AM by Mrs Bella »

Wilks

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 12:13:01 PM »

Mrs Bella's response is more positive than mine above, and it made me think a bit more (thanks Mrs B!). What helps me is going to yoga (I always feel more motivated after yoga). I also find fresh air and a bit of nature is good, so I do a lot of short walks.

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »

My Fitbit was the best gift I've ever had,I went from 300+ steps a day after an accident to hitting targets of 6000 a day and it really did change my life,Mrs B you can set the Fitbit to either prompt you every  hour or not,I choose the prompt it's a great motivator for me and I wish I'd had it years ago it also tells me what my sleep cycle has been like so if I think I'm having restless sleep I wear it to bed and then next day I check my phone app to see exactly what I've been up to in my sleep.keep walking to that post box Mrs B it's getting the juices flowing lol xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 06:23:21 PM »

Oh good thread!  I know that I should walk more.  I know that I should exercise.  We have a tread mill.  It was used once last year  :-\.  We do eat healthy food stuffs.  But exercise is lacking.

We watch on TV: MotoGP every other weekend; as much cycling across the Globe as possible, it'll be le Tour soon  ::).  I watch for the scenery of course  :whist: although the men in Lycra make it quite interesting.

We do a lot of gardening. That's my pleasure.  Pottering and sitting, watching our wild birds [see appropriate thread].

I lack motivation full stop.  Even knowing that it keeps the body healthy and sometimes wondering if I were to be diagnosed with 'something' would it make any difference to my attitude ........  :-\

Mrs Bella

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 09:43:29 PM »

Mrs Bella's response is more positive than mine above, and it made me think a bit more (thanks Mrs B!). What helps me is going to yoga (I always feel more motivated after yoga). I also find fresh air and a bit of nature is good, so I do a lot of short walks.
You are welcome Wilks!
I love yoga! It's a great way to get moving, and it also grounds you. If you can find a class near you maybe give it a try. By going to a class you are committed to that hour. And afterwards you will feel like you have archived something.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:45:37 PM by Mrs Bella »

Mrs Bella

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 09:51:16 PM »

My Fitbit was the best gift I've ever had,I went from 300+ steps a day after an accident to hitting targets of 6000 a day and it really did change my life,Mrs B you can set the Fitbit to either prompt you every  hour or not,I choose the prompt it's a great motivator for me and I wish I'd had it years ago it also tells me what my sleep cycle has been like so if I think I'm having restless sleep I wear it to bed and then next day I check my phone app to see exactly what I've been up to in my sleep.keep walking to that post box Mrs B it's getting the juices flowing lol xx
I started running about 5 years ago. When I started I couldn't even do my mailbox and back. Now I have my Fitbit set to 20000 steps. I love the prompts, like I said earlier the vibrating gets me off and stepping. My Fitbit is like my Personal Trainer.
Thanks Daisydot, I will keep walking if I can't be bothered running. X

Mrs Bella

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 10:02:39 PM »

Oh good thread!  I know that I should walk more.  I know that I should exercise.  We have a tread mill.  It was used once last year  :-\.  We do eat healthy food stuffs.  But exercise is lacking.

We watch on TV: MotoGP every other weekend; as much cycling across the Globe as possible, it'll be le Tour soon  ::).  I watch for the scenery of course  :whist: although the men in Lycra make it quite interesting.

We do a lot of gardening. That's my pleasure.  Pottering and sitting, watching our wild birds [see appropriate thread].

I lack motivation full stop.  Even knowing that it keeps the body healthy and sometimes wondering if I were to be diagnosed with 'something' would it make any difference to my attitude ........  :-\
CLKD gardening is a great way to keep active. Give yourself some credit!
I also find it quite therapeutic. Being outside, listening to the birds, seeing my beautiful flowers bloom. At the moment the camellias are out in force. I have over an acre of an established garden. Some of the plants and trees have been here since 1856. We also have an orchard. Overall, I have three acres to tend to. So as you can imagine gardening is a BIG thing/task for me.
Regardless of the size of your garden, gardening is a great incidental way of keeping active.

Mrs Bella

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »

Hi AngsanaBlossom,
I hope the story I am about tell is of some comfort to you...
I use to do endurance horse-riding. I had a bad fall and lost my confidence. Subsequent I stopped riding altogether. Shortly after my accident, Mrs Menopause hit. Not only do I not have confidence, I also have no motivation to get back in the saddle. I am constantly beating myself up about it. A wise friend said, “Annabelle give yourself time. When you are ready, you will get back on your horse. In the meantime just relax and have faith in yourself”. So maybe just relax instead of focusing on your lack of motivatio, and have faith in yourself that when you are ready you will get moving again.