Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Taken the plunge  (Read 1590 times)

menomum68

Taken the plunge
« on: June 01, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »

Hi there,

What an amazing site this is, I wish I'd found it sooner.  I'm a 49 year old single mum with one feisty 8 year old and have been peri-menopausal for around 5 years.  I've gone through the low moods, foggy brain, aching joints, plummeting confidence, erratic periods and almost suicidal thoughts at one stage or another...... sometimes all at once..... it seems I'm not alone.  So many people still seem reluctant to talk about this issue, I felt as though I was slowly going mad.  It's wonderful to know there are many of us out there (although, it would of course be more wonderful if we were spared this).

So, firstly, hello community, I'm very pleased to be joining.  I wondered if anyone could give me a little advice.  I finally took the plunge a month ago into the murky waters of HRT.  I'm on Femoston 1/10.  My doctor, who thankfully is a woman with a keen interest in this area, offered gel with either the Mirena coil or progesteron tablets.  I have a fear of the Mirena after previously experiencing it and suffering from what I can only describe as burning and itching 'downstairs'.  Gel and progesterone sounded like an accident waiting to happen..... trying to remember when to take the tablet would possibly have sent me over the edge.  So, Femoston 1/10 it is.

I appreciate that it's only been a month and that it can take 3 to 6 months to settle down but whilst I feel amazing during the Estradiol, and wow, it truly has made a huge difference the final 14 days on the Dydrogesterone are a hard slog.  Reflux, headaches, memory lapses to name a few.  I actually had to start taking them at night as they made me feel so totally out of it.

Is there anyone out there who's experienced the same and come out the other side?  I felt so awful at points I actually considered sticking them in the bin but now, 2 days back into the Estradiol, I once again feel great.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you  :)

Wilks

Re: Taken the plunge
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 12:17:49 PM »

Hi  :)
Someone will be able to advise you. I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about all the different forms of HRT, but I wanted so say welcome, you're definitely not alone!

menomum68

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 01:53:27 PM »

Thank you Wilks.  I already feel better by just being here.... cheesy but true  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 04:15:50 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM minimum

The progesterone in any HRT regime can give these side effects - particularly at first while your body adjusts. You may need to try a different type of HRT if things don't settle over the next couple of months. Do look under TREATMENTS on they site to see your options but don't chop and change HRTs to much or your body won't get a chance to settle. 

The Mirena is a good option as, after the initial progesterone hit in the first few weeks, it can be far less hassle, fewer progesterone side effects and often results in no bleeds at all!!! You can simply use oestrogen as pill, gel or patch alongside the Mirena  The itchiness you experienced with Mirena before may have been just unfortunate but it is generally very well tolerated and causes few problems, particularly as part of HRT.   Some vaginal moisturiser is also a good idea when meno hits to keep things healthy down there - SYLk or the YES products are best.

Here is the section from this site all about the Mirena:

MIRENA
Mirena is a levonorgestrel (type of progestogen) releasing system which sits inside the womb, gradually releasing the progestogen into the womb. It is licensed in the UK and Ireland as a contraceptive agent, for treatment of heavy periods and, from August 2004, also for the progestogen component of HRT. It can be used in both the perimenopause and postmenopause and it is particularly useful for:

Persistent progestogenic side effects from systemic HRT despite changes in type and route of progestogen.
When contraception is required along with HRT in the perimenopause.
When withdrawal bleeds on sequential HRT are heavy, after investigation if indicated. (see WHEN TO BE REFERRED )
With Mirena in place, systemic estrogen alone can be taken as the Mirena provides adequate protection of the womb lining and the estrogen dose and route can be tailored to meet the individual's needs.

Progestogenic absorption throughout the body is minimal so reducing progestogenic side effects. The effect of Mirena on the womb lining can significantly reduce bleeding and when used as part of an HRT regimen, in time, 30 to 60% of women have no bleeding at all. Although Mirena used for contraception is licensed for 5 years, the license for use for the progestogen part of HRT is currently 4 years.
Price: £88.00

DG x

Tiddles

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 04:59:18 PM »

Hi Menomum.  I switched to Femoston 1/10 because I was getting the symptoms you describe during the 2nd half of the month on the previous pills I was taking. Im now in the 2nd half of the 2nd month on Femoston and I"ve seen an improvement in terms of side effects this month and they've been bearable. Ive tried to help things along by being uber careful the 2nd half of the month with regard to what I eat and drink (avoiding anything that could contribute to the symptoms eg caffeine, alcohol) and making sure I get lots of sleep. Im hoping things will improve further during month 3 on Femoston but will be able to handle it if it stays as it's been this month. If you stick with the Femoston I hope things settle down for you as they have for me. Good luck x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 06:37:46 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round. Do read the various threads on vaginal atrophy too!  Forewarned is forearmed ;-)

menomum68

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »

Thank you for all your replies.  Everything you've said has made perfect sense.

Tiddles, I'll definitely see the 3 months through, and hope like you, I see an improvement in the progesterone side effects (I hope this continues for you).  It's great to know this is a definite possibility.  I think I'll also arrange my month to avoid anything too overwhelming during the 'dark time'.  It's all to easy to forget about self-care but an effort needs to be made.  ;D.

Dancinggirl, if this fails, I think I will give the Mirena another shot.  The idea of no withdrawal bleed is very appealing.  I've only had a small period once every 8 to 10 months so the thought of bleeding regularly again is a little dull.  To be honest, the itching and burning would be preferable to two weeks of feeling on a different planet!

CLKD, I'll investigate, thank you for the heads up.

Take care,
Menomum x

Juliet

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »

Welcome and what an amazing GP you have!

I have just completed the 2nd month of Femoston 2/10 and I was dreading the progesterone phase, but weirdly I feel better and less anxious while taking the combined tablet over the oestrogen only one. Having said that it is early days and I may be making connections that are not there. In terms of periods I agree having a monthly bleed again is annoying as my last natural period was October last year and they were very infrequent. I have been dreading the period pain because I used to get them so bad and i was woken last night with cramp, but nothing a paracetemol and heat pad couldn't sort - so hopeful these bleeds won't get too bad. I too have very bad memories of the Mirena coil, but if these bleeds become problematic I think it might be the next step.  I am still struggling with low mood and anxiety, but I do feel more stable and less teary and all the aches and pains have gone.

This site is an amazing resource and yes we must talk about this more. I was posting a video series on Youtube about my HRT journey, but stopped as I lost confidence. You have reminded me that it might help others, so I will get editing and post some more excerpts (even the darker moments).