Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just had appointment with Consultant..  (Read 2938 times)

Lisa1966

Re: Just had appointment with Consultant..
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »

I'm still trying to find the right balance, I think I'm still peri,have tried 4 different hrts but I think I need a higher dose to override my cycle,as I get really irritable and angry mid cycle and just before bleed. Last year I had 8 months off work due to anxiety and depression, the likes of which I had never known before,I felt like I was dying,and to be honest I wanted to,if it wasn't for my children,I wouldn't be here.but am stable now,just need to sort out the hormones

Lisa xx

LW44

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 09:57:49 PM »

Sounds very similar to me.. thats why struggling.. something isnt right with them.. i am same up and down like a yoyo its exhausting.. please let me know how u get on xx

Lisa1966

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 05:51:12 AM »

I will do,u too. We're here to support each other. Take care

Lisa xx

Samade

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »

I get PMS even though I'm on sequi hrt. I would guess if the injections stops the PMS and you still get mood swings it will be perimenopause causing the problem. If the mood swings stop it could be PMS causing the issue and therefore you could treat by stopping your ovaries. It sounds like a methodical elimination process to me albeit if you are sensitive to side effects not a pleasant process.

dangermouse

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »

I would think that PMS and perimenopause are not separate standalone hormonal incidents.

PMS is more cyclically obvious when younger but that can then morph into perimenopause imbalance which lasts for more than a few days, as the imbalance spreads as volatility increases, so to speak.

Anything than can lower volatility will improve your symptoms.

LW44

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »

Hi Dangermouse,

That makes sense as my pms seems to last weeks rather than days, especially in the run up to my last period which was 17 weeks after my previous one, the other thing ive noticed is that boobs inflate and deflate constanstly, sometimes painful
I am now thinking i will have the mirena and take oesteogen alongside it... rather than have the prostrap injection xx

LW44

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »

I get PMS even though I'm on sequi hrt. I would guess if the injections stops the PMS and you still get mood swings it will be perimenopause causing the problem. If the mood swings stop it could be PMS causing the issue and therefore you could treat by stopping your ovaries. It sounds like a methodical elimination process to me albeit if you are sensitive to side effects not a pleasant process.

Yes think that was consultants line of thinking and elimination.. but i have decided a bit too drastic for me to handle and unfortunately sensitive to meds so i think it will floor me.. which i dont want or cant risk.. i am thinking of having the mirena for the progestrone (cannot tolerate tab form) alongside my normal oestrogen? Xx

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 05:13:17 PM »

Hi there LW44

This sounds totally crazy to me.

Dangermouse is right - hormonal mood swings are hormonal mood swings. Some women get very severe pms - which is due 1) to the plunging oestrogen just after ovulation and then again just before the period and/or 2) the rapid reduction in progesterone just before the period and/or 3) progesterone intolerance itself - in which case for the whole of the 2nd half of the cycle. Some women are sensitive to all of these!!

In the late reproductive stage when periods are still more or less regular many women find pms worsens because hormones tend to fluctuate a bit more extremely. As you progress into peri-menopause and periods become more irregular the hormonal fluctuations can become huge - and all of these whether as pms or in peri-menopause have the same cause. I have read that some women also get problems from very high oestrogen levels during peri-menopause but I don't really understand this fully.

Have you seen this article about peri-menopause? https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

As the others have said - if you have the injection - then no cycle, no oestrogen, no pms, and you are in chemical menopause. Some women do get hot flushes during late reproductive stage due to the rapid reduction in oestrogen from high to low at the end of the cycle (just before periods) which may be different from the hot flushes due to low oestrogen.

It sounds like your consultant is trying to conduct an academic exercise rather than treat a menopausal woman!!!

What dose of oestrogen have you been taking for 3 years?

I presume you are familiar with Studd regime and reproductive depression?
http://www.studd.co.uk/reproductivedepression.php
http://www.studd.co.uk/postnataldepression.php

Women who are still having pretty regular periods can be given very high doses of oestrogen to try to suppress the cycle, but are also given 7 days of extra progestogen to help shed the uterus lining. Once you get nearer to menopause this is probably insufficient progestogen for most women although can be done for progesterone intolerant women under medical supervision.

In your position I wouldn't have the injection -  but depends whether you are coping or not. Livial (Tibolone) is a very low dose HRT so although you wouldn't have mood swings, you may well have side effects. Also it does contain a progestogen type element so maybe not a good idea if you are progesterone intolerant.

Another alternative is the new product Duavive - from horse oestrogens but the womb is protected through a spcial compound that only acts on the uterus so no progestogenic side effects so this is another possibility after the injection if you decided to go down this route. However the oestrogen dose is not very high so you still might suffer from low mood/hot flushes, and it doesn't contain testosterone which would be cut off sharply if your ovaries were shut down I think ( not sure about this....might be wrong about that).

Sorry I have ended up rambling out loud but hope some of it is helpful!

Hurdity x

LW44

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »

Hi Hurdity,

I have found it helpful thankyou :)  i am due at the hospital this morning to for the injection which i am going to refuse.  I am thinking along the lines of maybe the mirena coil and up my dose of continuous oestrogen to 2mg daily or continuous oestrogen 2mg and ultrogenson (spell) every three months - what are your thoughts on this? Xx

LW44

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »

Hi All

Well i went to my appt, the consultant wasnt there just a nurse to administer the Prostrap..
I told her i had decided not to have it  she was lovely and we talked through my reasons why - history of anx and dep and very sensistive hormone wise.. at first she did say why are u having it? As dont suffer heavy bleeding etc..
She then said well u have appt with consultant in 2 weeks keep that and discuss diff options.
I explained longer gaps between periods now and mood swings seem worse.. anx low mood bad tempered.. which my husband very kindly confirmed lol.. he said i can go from 0 to 60 within mins.. then back down again as quick..   she said prob further into peri now.
Can anyone advise whether i should increase my oestrogen from 1mg to 2mg whilst i wait for appt?  I feel like ive gone back to where i started 3 yrs ago at the beginning.. tearful anx low and blinking bad tempered xx

Lisa1966

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 06:15:26 PM »

Hi lw44,I'm so glad u didn't have the injection. Make sure u have a good knowledge before ur next appointment,so that u understand what he wants to prescribe u,or if u know what u want steer him in that direction. If I were u I would increase ur dose to 2mg while u r waiting. Keep us posted xx

LW44

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »

Me too had anx just thinking about it.. i know min it would have been injected i would have gone into meltdown..
Think i will increase i feel urrgh which is triggering my anxiety.. if i didnt know any diff as had my last period nearly 3 weeks ago id think i was due on xx

Lisa1966

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »

I've increased mine,as I know I can feel better than I do at the moment.i have anxiety mid cycle and then pre bleed,I think the mid cycle is ovulation time,maybe it's the same for u. xx

LW44

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 08:23:30 PM »

Yep will take 2mg tonight xx
Pages: 1 [2]