Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tension headaches  (Read 6376 times)

Sammas

Tension headaches
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »

Hi Huys, I'm still on the natural route and going to an osteopath for tension headaches They seem to have improved in the past few weeks until last Thur, the day before my period I had a really bad tension headache and had to go to bed Had bad period pains all weekend and have had more headaches in the last 2 days I am drinking more water and don't know what else to do re headaches Thanks for reading cx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tension headaches
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:02:42 PM »

Take medication?  :-\

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »

Try some meditation Sammas it's very good for that,there's some very good apps you can download like “CALM” that's a good one to start with.good luck xx

Sammas

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »

I have taken Syndol but am trying to take them less often I will look at the meditation apps x

Sammas

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 08:52:10 AM »

Hi,
Still trying to solve my headaches Have had 2 massages First worked for about a day, second made things worse.  Am trying to drink more water and exercise. Just been for a walk which has made my headache worse Goung back to the osteopath later Any words of wisdom really appreciated xx

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »

I know it's prbably considered old fashioned now sammas but what about trying some lavender oil rubbed on your temples then follow with some meditation xx

Sammas

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 12:57:37 PM »

DaisyDot, Did think about buying an electric diffuser to put natural oils in Took Syndol which helps but makes me drowsy and are not addressing the problem A couple of months ago the doc told me to stop taking them to avoid rebound headaches x

Daisydot

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 01:03:57 PM »

You can get a wee roll on type thing.like the old perfume roll ons,from Holland and barrat and you just rub it on temples it's suppised to be very good you can just pop in your handbag for when you need it.

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 02:33:41 PM »

It could be hormonal migraine on some level. I have the silent type (although not had for a few months since being on daily prog cream) with more dizziness and nausea but I suspect the pain type headaches are even more common.

They apparently go after menopause, or reduce a lot, in case that helps!

Sammas

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »

Thanks DaisyDot and Danger Mouse Wil look at the roll on The main reason I have not taken HRT is lots of people say it can make headaches worse x

KAH

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 07:47:19 PM »

I get a lot of headaches but don't really like taking medication unless absolutely desperate so I rely on the roll on stick, it's called 4 Head, it definately helps, even if only in the short term x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »

Hi Sammas

Sorry to hear about your tension headaches but they definiteley sound hormonal and I wonder if they might be migraines (the classic type ie without aura)? There was another thread on these recently where I described how mine started: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39735.msg629473.html#msg629473

However it is now 2 weeks since you last posted so where in your cycle are you now and what is you cycle doing generally?

Very recently I got sumatriptan prescribed for them but you would only want to take these if they are definitely migraine and then not too often.

It really is a pain - literally isn't it? I do sympathise...

Hurdity x

Wilks

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »

Hi, are you absolutely sure they are tension headaches?
I recommend looking at the National Migraine Centre website, which has descriptions of different types of headache (not only migraines) as well as tips for dealing with them.

I'm not saying you do this (I have no idea what meds you take) but if you take painkillers on more than 10 days a month, that can cause a chronic tension-type headache.

Sammas

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 05:14:34 AM »

Morning KAH, Hurdity and Wilkes, Will try forhead, my daughter uses it.  The doc said it was tension headaches when I explained my symptoms, where as I always thought migraines She have me Propranolol which made me feel really sleepy.  I had a period 18 days a go but for the last week have had all the symptoms of another - achy boobs, irritability, tiredness etc x

Wilks

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 05:41:26 AM »

Hi again
Tension headaches feel like a tight band or pressure round your head, with mild to moderate pain that wouldn't normally be severe enough to send you to bed.
The reason I suggest looking at the factsheets on the National Migraine Centre website) even if your doctor diagnosed tension headache) is that the NMC are experts on migraine whereas GPs are often not. Propranolol is a treatment for migraine, not for tension headache.
A headache that stops you from doing normal activities, with one-sided pain, throbbing, possibly with nausea and sensitivity to light and sound is more likely to be a migraine.
Pages: [1] 2 3