Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Weight issues  (Read 12075 times)

mrs_bella

Re: Weight issues
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2018, 03:07:05 AM »

For those who are interested, I have just had a google session on the diets I was interested in that have been suggested during our chats. I stumbled across the reviews of a book about improving your gut health. It's called The Microbiome Diet by Raphael Kellman. I think I might purchase it, and give it a go.

Wilks

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2018, 07:29:46 AM »

Hi Mrs Bella, I have Dr Michael Mosley's book, the Clever Guts Diet. The main theme is eating a varied diet with loads of vegetables, but a wide range of vegetables. He also suggests kefir which I love, so I have that a few times a week.

I agree with you that we have to keep moving. For me, the health benefits of strenuous exercise outweigh the alternative, which would be about 4kg lighter but with no energy to do anything.

Daisydot

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2018, 07:50:07 AM »

Hi Mrs Bella,I'd also recommend Dr Mosleys book I love his sense of humour it's a very easy to understand book and I like the fact he's not scared to be our guinea pig and tries most stuff on himself to illustrate the results on the average joe bloggs,can you get “trust me I'm a doctor” on you tube maybe and watch some of his past tv shows you'd enjoy them too.x

mrs_bella

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2018, 09:03:05 AM »

Hi Mrs Bella,I'd also recommend Dr Mosleys book I love his sense of humour it's a very easy to understand book and I like the fact he's not scared to be our guinea pig and tries most stuff on himself to illustrate the results on the average joe bloggs,can you get “trust me I'm a doctor” on you tube maybe and watch some of his past tv shows you'd enjoy them too.x
Ooooo...I like the idea of the book/shows if he has a good sense of humour. I will definitely check it/them out. Thank you Daisydot!

mrs_bella

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2018, 09:18:20 AM »

Hi Mrs Bella, I have Dr Michael Mosley's book, the Clever Guts Diet. The main theme is eating a varied diet with loads of vegetables, but a wide range of vegetables. He also suggests kefir which I love, so I have that a few times a week.

I agree with you that we have to keep moving. For me, the health benefits of strenuous exercise outweigh the alternative, which would be about 4kg lighter but with no energy to do anything.
Great Wilks; I will check it out. Going by the title, I already like his sense of humour.
Yes, I agree. For me exercise has always been an essential. I feel so much better for it. If I stopped, I may end up lighter but also on the flabby side. I don't want to be “skinny fat” as a friend who is a personal trainer calls it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2018, 01:53:11 PM »

One can get up-2-date news from The Clever Guts Team ;-).  I haven't faced kefir yet  :-\

mrs_bella

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2018, 09:57:16 PM »

One can get up-2-date news from The Clever Guts Team ;-).  I haven't faced kefir yet  :-\
CLKD are you talking about their newsletters? I just googled it and have signed up.
Oh CLKD, like menopause this whole gut diet thing is confusing. I need a simple manual on both.
I hadn't heard of kefir before joining this forum. I am not sure I want to try it as it sounds disgusting.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:27:21 PM by mrs_bella »

Wilks

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2018, 06:41:54 AM »

Ooh, kefir is lovely. It's somewhere between natural yogurt and milk in consistency but tastes like yogurt. Often slightly fizzy.

Daisydot

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »

I'm a big fan of kefir Mrs Bella not because of the taste but because of the huge health benefits,have a google,best way to take it is in a smoothie with fresh fruit like banana or berries whatever is your favourite.sauerkraut is also another good gut aid,just make sure it's organic unpasteurised or you can always make either of them yourself lol have a google all the info is there for you.xx

mrs_bella

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2018, 09:13:17 AM »

Thanks Wilks & Daisydot!
I have just had a google...you can get Starter Packs to make Kefir at home. I will see if my local health food shop stocks them.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:21:21 AM by mrs_bella »

ouchouch

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2018, 11:44:55 AM »

I am in the middle of very interesting book by Dr Robert Lustig.... Fat Chance.
Basically sugar is doing the damage. and the food industry has taken all the fiber out of processed foods as it spoils too quickly so they shove in HFCS nice and cheap and gets us addicted to the sweet stuff.
We shud all eat whole non processed food with lots of fiber so that food moves quickly enough at the start to signal us that we are full but slow enough to keep us fuller for longer and clears out the other end.
Protein at meals to stop us feeling hunry, especially breakfast. My hubby can go all morning on a water, banana and hemp protein powder blend but if he has oat type cereals with nuts and he is hungry by 11!!!
I have 2 scrambled eggs with red pepper, onion or any veg I have lying around for breakfast and then I'm fine till lunch time.
Always crave something sweet after eating anything!! so now I make a fruit herbal tea ready to sip after my meals.

sadly the diet drinks will still be teaching your body insulin spikes.

I cannot do a few bits of choc its a few bars or nothing..... so its nothing for me!!

Mrs Bella

« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2018, 08:59:31 PM »

I am in the middle of very interesting book by Dr Robert Lustig.... Fat Chance.
Basically sugar is doing the damage. and the food industry has taken all the fiber out of processed foods as it spoils too quickly so they shove in HFCS nice and cheap and gets us addicted to the sweet stuff.
We shud all eat whole non processed food with lots of fiber so that food moves quickly enough at the start to signal us that we are full but slow enough to keep us fuller for longer and clears out the other end.
Protein at meals to stop us feeling hunry, especially breakfast. My hubby can go all morning on a water, banana and hemp protein powder blend but if he has oat type cereals with nuts and he is hungry by 11!!!
I have 2 scrambled eggs with red pepper, onion or any veg I have lying around for breakfast and then I'm fine till lunch time.
Always crave something sweet after eating anything!! so now I make a fruit herbal tea ready to sip after my meals.

sadly the diet drinks will still be teaching your body insulin spikes.

I cannot do a few bits of choc its a few bars or nothing..... so its nothing for me!!
ouchouch, the food industry “big boys” have a lot to answer for.
It's interesting you mention that oat type cereals have that effect on your husband. They do me also. If I eat porridge, I am normally hungry by 10am. I am not a fan of eggs so have not yet found a breakfast that sustains me until lunchtime.
Oh I hear you on the choc front. It's all or nothing for me. My husband is gobsmacked by how I can demolish a block in one sitting.
Thank you for responding to my post! 😊
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:18:50 PM by Mrs Bella »

Hurdity

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »

Hi there Mrs Bella - just a quick message as I was going to suggest eggs - I cannot subsist on carbs for breakfast until lunchtime. I nearly always have eggs whatever else I have. Sometimes grapefruit, porridge with banana and blueberries ( or muesli with same or low fat greek yogurt with the same) followed by one or two boiled eggs ( no bread or toast!). Alternatively grilled lean bacon (cut fat off) with lots of mushrooms (baked or fried in frylight 1 cal spray) + toms. You could also have fish - - scrambled eggs and smoked salmon a lovely way to eat eggs!

Hurdity x

Mrs Bella

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2018, 09:23:55 PM »

Hi there Mrs Bella - just a quick message as I was going to suggest eggs - I cannot subsist on carbs for breakfast until lunchtime. I nearly always have eggs whatever else I have. Sometimes grapefruit, porridge with banana and blueberries ( or muesli with same or low fat greek yogurt with the same) followed by one or two boiled eggs ( no bread or toast!). Alternatively grilled lean bacon (cut fat off) with lots of mushrooms (baked or fried in frylight 1 cal spray) + toms. You could also have fish - - scrambled eggs and smoked salmon a lovely way to eat eggs!

Hurdity x
Thanks for the ideas Hurdity! I mostly have capeseed toast with avocado and smoked salmon for breakfast. By about 11am I am famished so have an apple or nuts. I wish I could just do 3 meals a day, but I get so hungry in between to the point of becoming dizzy.

nissa11

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »

Thanks for your support. Yes, I do have a lot of stuff affecting my mental heath and as I said have volunteered for a new sort of talking therapy but one day it seems to be improving and another I go right back down to full on depression again. I hate it! I will look up the therapies you mention. Thanks again :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6