Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Weight issues  (Read 12069 times)

Shadyglade

Re: Weight issues
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »

Chocs - limit them to one chocolate ( not a bar) per day.

Wow, for a chocoaholic that would be near impossible.  I now try just to have some dark chocolate (not my favourite) once a week.  Also reducing starchy carbs is more effective that avoiding fats.  Fats are not now the demon (if they ever were).  Fats go to immediate energy use, starchy carbs go straight to storage e.g. the liver etc.,

Annie0710

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »

On my slimmingworld plan they suggested freezing curly wurlys then either have the whole bar or break in half.   I really look forward to that treat and because it's frozen it takes a good while to get through ;-) x

Daisydot

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »

I'm too greedy to limit anything lol.chocolate raisins that's my downfall I desperately try not to buy them then I worry I'll crave them if I don't have any in it's ridiculous ,at least I don't eat the whole pack in one go now so that's a step in the right direction lol.I consider I eat healthy so I'm permitted the odd vice (or ten)lol.

Wilks

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »

Hi Nissa11, although many antidepressants do cause weight gain, especially mirtazipine and amitriptyline, but some do not.
I'm on fluoxetine and that is considered weight-neutral. Also, I'm pretty sure that Valdoxan (agomelatine) doesn't put on weight.
Could you try a different one?
I also find that exercise and fresh air help my mood.

Joaniepat

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 11:13:19 AM »

Dancinggirl gives good advice re a healthy diet. I'd like to add that is important to look after the gut microbiome, as those who have a greater diversity of gut microbes tend to be slimmer. By consuming a wide variety of vegetables and fruit, and a diet rich in different sources of fibre, we can give the good bacteria in our guts a sporting chance to proliferate. Live yogurt and fermented products such as kefir and sauerkraut are also helpful.
JP x

mrs_bella

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »

Dancinggirl gives good advice re a healthy diet. I'd like to add that is important to look after the gut microbiome, as those who have a greater diversity of gut microbes tend to be slimmer. By consuming a wide variety of vegetables and fruit, and a diet rich in different sources of fibre, we can give the good bacteria in our guts a sporting chance to proliferate. Live yogurt and fermented products such as kefir and sauerkraut are also helpful.
JP x
Joaniepat it's interesting you mention that. I recently watched a documentary on the effects of a poor gut microbiome and mental health. Basically, poor gut microbiome equals poor mental health like increased rates of depression and anxiety. The studies undertaken relating to this concluded that eating a diet as you have just suggested can improve your gut microbiome and consequently mental health. And from what you have said such a diet can make you slimmer. I think I might look into this further as I need help in both those areas at the moment due to menopause: anxiety and weight gain. Thank you for your suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:58:45 AM by mrs_bella »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 12:05:47 PM »

Apparently oats are really good for encouraging good bacteria in the gut!!! There are many foods that help the gut bacteria - just cut down on the sugar. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »

What kind of sugar though  :-\

I used to eat a bar of 6 squares of chocolate whilst  :scottie: - she would have 2, I would eat the rest.  Usually ;-).  Then one year I found that chocolate was making my body feel sluggish so I stopped.  I've been into packets of 'smarties' recently so have stopped buying now that the box is empty.  Black chololcate is lovely - 1 piece is not enough, 2 is too much  :sick02:  ;D

Wilks

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 02:41:07 PM »

I've always eaten loads of vegetables and have been drinking kefir for about a year.
And I only drink 1 to 2 units of alcohol per week.
I guess I will just have to starve myself!  :(

Snoooze

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 03:53:51 PM »

I've always eaten loads of vegetables and have been drinking kefir for about a year.

I have struggled with my weight. I cut out so much and wasn't even losing weight but when a friend who is good at dieting asked what 'healthy' foods I was eating she said they still have a lot of calories in. I was snacking on nuts etc. So I changed my snack and my breakfast and slowly but surely I started losing but it's very slow going but after a few weeks I started to feel less hungry and I'm used to it now but I've been dieting two months now and expected to have lost more than I actually have but at least it's finally coming off!

Dorothy

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 07:26:52 PM »

I limit cakes, chocolate and biscuits etc to treats when I am meeting up with friends.  This helps because it fixes the idea of it being a 'treat' in my head, so not something I have daily and also means I don't have any in the house for me to eat when I get peckish.

The only problem I have found is that I sometimes get the shakes (usually just before I am due to have a bleed, though not always) and the only thing that seems to stop it is something sugary.  But I have to eat a lot of biscuits for it to have any effect.  Recently, I've been trying the nakd bars - they are just dried fruit and nuts 'mushed' together.  I find one of these stops the shakes very quickly and although I like the taste, it's not so yummy that I want to eat more than one (which I would do with biscuits or chocolate)  Also, as it's just dried fruit and nuts, I'm hoping it will be more beneficial to me than a big slice of coffee cake would be!

dulciana

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 08:02:51 PM »

Apparently oats are really good for encouraging good bacteria in the gut!!! There are many foods that help the gut bacteria - just cut down on the sugar. DG x 

And oats are very sustaining, which reminds me, I must stock up on lots more flapjacks.  There's a little shop near where I teach piano, that sells a good variety of them.  :)

mrs_bella

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 11:40:54 PM »

Wilks I am thinking along the same lines, but I like food too much. I am currently being a glutton eating crumpets in bed. Well it's a chilly Saturday morning, I just couldn't refuse breakfast in bed. So much for my good intentions 😆

mrs_bella

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 11:44:09 PM »

Hello Snoooze, what do you eat for breakfast now? And snack on?

mrs_bella

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 11:50:37 PM »

I limit cakes, chocolate and biscuits etc to treats when I am meeting up with friends.  This helps because it fixes the idea of it being a 'treat' in my head, so not something I have daily and also means I don't have any in the house for me to eat when I get peckish.

The only problem I have found is that I sometimes get the shakes (usually just before I am due to have a bleed, though not always) and the only thing that seems to stop it is something sugary.  But I have to eat a lot of biscuits for it to have any effect.  Recently, I've been trying the nakd bars - they are just dried fruit and nuts 'mushed' together.  I find one of these stops the shakes very quickly and although I like the taste, it's not so yummy that I want to eat more than one (which I would do with biscuits or chocolate)  Also, as it's just dried fruit and nuts, I'm hoping it will be more beneficial to me than a big slice of coffee cake would be!
Hello Dorothy, that's my biggest issue. I try to eat protein as much as I can to keep me full, but I find through out the day if I don't snack I get the shakes. Some suggest not snacking and sticking to 3 meals a day so you don't get insulin resistant (it's called something like that). I really don't know the answer. I wish I did as I need to limit my calorie intake now that I am in menopause, and getting older.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6