Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Which HRT should I be taking?  (Read 831 times)

Laurenf

Which HRT should I be taking?
« on: May 15, 2018, 08:49:14 AM »

I am 55 and still having regular periods. I have been suffering with crippling anxiety which usually effects me all morning until about midday when it eases off. I was prescribed fluoxetine which did not help and decided to try HRT. My doctor prescribed patches - Evorel. Conti. I was on them for two months and in the last two weeks felt terrible. Bloated, heavy painful breasts, bad skin, breathless and under energised. Perhaps a bit less anxiety but then possibly a bit too busy dealing with the listed symptoms to notice! I went back to GP who said I should try Femoston Conti. I told her I had read that as I had not stopped my periods I thought I should be on sequoia not conti but she said the only difference was that I wouldn't have periods and why would I want them.
I would really appreciate any advice (if any of you have got to the end of this lengthy missive) before I start Femoston Conti, I now feel unsure of trying that if it's the wrong thing for me. One more thing I stopped the Evoril 4 days ago and the a anxiety has returned with a vengeance. Help anyone?

Lisa1966

Re: Which HRT should I be taking?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »

Hi Lauren,my doctor was pretty clueless as well,I was put on evorel conti when I was having periods,it didn't stop me from bleeding,the last month I was on it,I was bleeding on and off all month.im now on sequi and it's much better. But I'm not an expert on the matter,and I'm sure someone will come along soon who can advise u.take care

Lisa x

Dancinggirl

Re: Which HRT should I be taking?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:34:23 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM
Your doctor is wrong - you should be on a sequential HRT.  Even if you were post menopause, it's best to start with a sequential HRT so you can serif the progesterone suits you or not.

HRT doesn't always control anxiety that well but if your anxiety has been worse since you stopped it, then it must be helping a little.  If you not getting any problematic bleeding then maybe it's OK to be on the conti HRT but you are getting some nasty side effects and I'm wondering if you should try something different and possibly transdermal would be better.  Stay off HRT for a week to see how you feel and maybe give the Femoston a try before going back to the GP. Look under treatments and print stuff off to discuss with your doctor when you next see them.

I assume you are following a good diet and exercise regime?  Are you doing Mindfulness and other relaxation techniques? Do you get out for brisk walks?  It's often a whole range of strategies that can help control our mood and anxiety - HRT is just one aspect to try.  DG x