Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weird head and confusion?  (Read 3325 times)

Hurdity

Re: Weird head and confusion?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »

I don't think I've ever had one to be honest (that I know of anyway!!). I get a lot of headaches, usually for a few weeks at a time then nothing for a month or more then they come back for a few more weeks etc.
I'm still peri so no HRT or other medications. I've felt truely terrible this month inparticular though and it feels hormonal so something is definately going on with me!

I started to get migraines for the first time before I was even peri-menopausal - it was the couple of years leading up to peri. I had no idea they were migraines until about 5 years ago as I had never had them before - I just thought they were horrible 3 day headaches. Mine used to come on just before my period. The symptoms were feeling sick, light and sound aversion/sensitivity,extreme fatigue, carb cravings, horrible foggy head, light-headed.  Face numbness sometimes and then eventually it would be that my whole skull was sensitive so I couldn't sleep very well unless lying on my back because of the pressure! They would wake me in the night - a constant needling headache.

I put up with them for well over 10 years - and then this year someone told me about Sumatriptan which stops them in their tracks - amazing magic pills. The difficulty is knowing when a normal headache is going to become migraine as you can't take too many of these tabs per month. They will be less bad for you than cocodamol I'm sure.

If you keep a diary and see if there is a pattern to them perhpas the Sumatriptan might help. I can usually tell with mine as they start to come on in the night - the needling slight headache that wakes me and makes me restless. Perhaps you might be able to, if they are migraines.

If you get another one or more and there is no hormonal pattern do consult your doc just to make sure all is well.

What are your periods doing in terms of frequency?

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

KAH

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 06:24:18 PM »

I don't think I've ever had one to be honest (that I know of anyway!!). I get a lot of headaches, usually for a few weeks at a time then nothing for a month or more then they come back for a few more weeks etc.
I'm still peri so no HRT or other medications. I've felt truely terrible this month inparticular though and it feels hormonal so something is definately going on with me!

I started to get migraines for the first time before I was even peri-menopausal - it was the couple of years leading up to peri. I had no idea they were migraines until about 5 years ago as I had never had them before - I just thought they were horrible 3 day headaches. Mine used to come on just before my period. The symptoms were feeling sick, light and sound aversion/sensitivity,extreme fatigue, carb cravings, horrible foggy head, light-headed.  Face numbness sometimes and then eventually it would be that my whole skull was sensitive so I couldn't sleep very well unless lying on my back because of the pressure! They would wake me in the night - a constant needling headache.

I put up with them for well over 10 years - and then this year someone told me about Sumatriptan which stops them in their tracks - amazing magic pills. The difficulty is knowing when a normal headache is going to become migraine as you can't take too many of these tabs per month. They will be less bad for you than cocodamol I'm sure.

If you keep a diary and see if there is a pattern to them perhpas the Sumatriptan might help. I can usually tell with mine as they start to come on in the night - the needling slight headache that wakes me and makes me restless. Perhaps you might be able to, if they are migraines.

If you get another one or more and there is no hormonal pattern do consult your doc just to make sure all is well.

What are your periods doing in terms of frequency?

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x
My periods are fairly regular, although last month I was a week late but otherwise they're usually more or less on time. And your symptoms sound very similar to how I feel, today I've been very sensitive to how bright it's been and still feeling sicky too.
I will definitely keep a diary from now on, thank you for your reply x

KAH

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »

Hey ladies, I didn't want to start a new post as it's still related to this one, but was just wondering if anyone takes anything for nausea, feel so so sick today 🤢, it starts the minute I wake up and is there more or less all day. Less headaches today but still the sickness persists. Not sure now if it's my anxiety causing it or hormonal stuff or even something else. My heads spinning!!

Snoooze

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »

Don't worry KAH. Nausea is very common and yes, it's hormonal. I get it a lot. Reminds me of the nausea I had in pregnancy. I have found taking an anti histamine tablet works for me. Give it a try.

I do think what you experienced was a migraine. I get them similar to how Hurdity described. I used to think they were sinus headaches until I read up more on here. I get them before my period.

KAH

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 02:36:03 PM »

Don't worry KAH. Nausea is very common and yes, it's hormonal. I get it a lot. Reminds me of the nausea I had in pregnancy. I have found taking an anti histamine tablet works for me. Give it a try.

I do think what you experienced was a migraine. I get them similar to how Hurdity described. I used to think they were sinus headaches until I read up more on here. I get them before my period.
That's exactly what its like, morning sickness that stays all day!
I too have been putting them down to sinuses, I'll have a read up I think so I'm a bit more informed. Thanks very much x

Snoooze

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 04:55:21 PM »

There is loads about hormonal migraines on here. Put it in search box. We used to have a member called Elizabethrose who gave excellent info on migraines. See if you can find them. It was reading on here that made me realise mine were hormonal migraines.

KAH

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »

There is loads about hormonal migraines on here. Put it in search box. We used to have a member called Elizabethrose who gave excellent info on migraines. See if you can find them. It was reading on here that made me realise mine were hormonal migraines.
Thank you, will do. Did your migraines last a fair few days? I very rarely have a headache that doesn't last at least a few days ☹️

Mary G

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 06:31:54 PM »

KAH, Elizabethrose was very knowledgeable on all things migraine so it is well worth reading her posts.  I'm afraid they can go on for 72 hours or more.

KAH

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »

KAH, Elizabethrose was very knowledgeable on all things migraine so it is well worth reading her posts.  I'm afraid they can go on for 72 hours or more.

I'll have a read this evening. Thank you xx

Snoooze

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 07:40:35 PM »

Thank you, will do. Did your migraines last a fair few days? I very rarely have a headache that doesn't last at least a few days ☹️

Yes they last about 3 days.
Pages: 1 [2]