Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weird head and confusion?  (Read 3321 times)

KAH

Weird head and confusion?
« on: May 12, 2018, 12:22:07 PM »

Not sure if this is in the right section or not, so apologies if it isn't!!

I've had a weird head all week, on Thursday I woke up but couldn't open my eyelids, I was telling myself to open my eyes but they just wouldn't, it was very strange! All that day I had an absolutely awful headache and felt very very sick. Yesterday I felt a bit better with just a background headache but still quite sicky.
Then this morning I didn't feel too bad, but was opening a tin of tuna for my dogs, it hadn't quite opened enough so I went to put the tin opener back in to do it but could not for the life of me work out how to use it!!! It's the same one I've had for years and I use it every day! My husband had to come & do it in the end.

I must admit it has freaked me out. I've got severe health anxiety anyway and have got so much going on at the moment that I'm worried about, a brain tumour being one of them (for various other reasons!).

Am I getting myself in a state over nothing again or is this something that needs looking into?? I'm the first to admit that I've worried about literally everything over the last 8 years and everything's turned out to be nothing but not had something like this before so that's why I'm worrying so much.

Thanks in advance xx

Snoooze

Re: Weird head and confusion?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 01:27:32 PM »

Hi KAH,

The part about not being able to open your eyelids seems like you may have experienced 'sleep paralysis'. It was talked about not long ago on here and is a sleep disorder that can occur at times of stress, grief etc. It's nothing to worry about but it is scary when it happens. Or, due to the headache and feeling sick it could possibly be a migraine? My friend gets bad migraines and even loses the ability to speak when she has a severe one.

The can opener is possibly just because you're worrying but I can understand how that freaked you out! I have things like this happen. Only last weekend I went to pay with my card that is a connect one and she asked me if it was connect and I said 'oh I don't know' and then she told me it was and I said 'oh fancy that, I never knew it was' then a few hours later I realised that of course I know it is a connect one and use it nearly every day. When I told my daughter she just laughed at me but I do have a lot of instances like that where I totally go blank about stuff. Even my daughter's best friend who I have known since they were age 3...one day I saw her and said to my daughter 'there's.....and I could not for the life of me remember her name! These things do freak you out but I think it's a bit of meno brain.

I too suffer from health anxiety so I can understand your concerns.

If it continues to happen then go to the GP but try to forget it and move on. x

KAH

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »

Hi KAH,

The part about not being able to open your eyelids seems like you may have experienced 'sleep paralysis'. It was talked about not long ago on here and is a sleep disorder that can occur at times of stress, grief etc. It's nothing to worry about but it is scary when it happens. Or, due to the headache and feeling sick it could possibly be a migraine? My friend gets bad migraines and even loses the ability to speak when she has a severe one.

The can opener is possibly just because you're worrying but I can understand how that freaked you out! I have things like this happen. Only last weekend I went to pay with my card that is a connect one and she asked me if it was connect and I said 'oh I don't know' and then she told me it was and I said 'oh fancy that, I never knew it was' then a few hours later I realised that of course I know it is a connect one and use it nearly every day. When I told my daughter she just laughed at me but I do have a lot of instances like that where I totally go blank about stuff. Even my daughter's best friend who I have known since they were age 3...one day I saw her and said to my daughter 'there's.....and I could not for the life of me remember her name! These things do freak you out but I think it's a bit of meno brain.

I too suffer from health anxiety so I can understand your concerns.

If it continues to happen then go to the GP but try to forget it and move on. x

Thank you so much for replying, you have reassured me some. I think it's because I have so many other health things going on (and most if not all are probably nothing!), that I just don't have a clear mind and every little thing is freaking me out. I'm literally at breaking point with my anxiety at the moment, I can't carry on this way, I'm literally driving myself (and my poor husband!) crazy.
Thanks again, I will try to put it to the back of my mind xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »

Oh I have my moments too!  Looked at the taps here - couldn't remember which was hot and which was cold.  We had been to Mum's, her taps are the opposite way  ::)

Stood in front of the fridge, wondering  -  actually, I wanted the dish washer.  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em  ;)

My head feels 'weird' when I'm over tired or if I've missed a dose of medication.

Snoooze

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »

I'm at it again. Contactless card not connect!

I also went through a phase of typing a completely different word to the one I meant!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 02:25:45 PM »

When I was a secretary if a word was typed incorrectly in the morning, it stayed that way every time that day  ::)

Wilks

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 05:41:53 PM »

I think the brain goes a bit wierd during menopause!
A song came on the radio recently, which the DJ described as a “new release 2 weeks ago”. I was absolutely convinced it was at least a decade old, but the Dj was right. It wasn't even a cover version. It really upset me for a few days.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »

I can't remember if I've opened my bowels/not so have to try to remember to tick the calendar.

Mary G

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 02:31:25 PM »

KAH, that sounds like a migraine.  Do you have a history of migraines?  Some of the symptoms can be very strange and one of them is the brain shutting down, numbness, tingling in legs and a whole host of other symptoms that you may not attribute to a migraine.

Are you on HRT or any hormone medication?

Quite a few of us on here are migraine suffers, myself included, and mine only started once my oestrogen levels tanked.

KAH

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 03:10:11 PM »

KAH, that sounds like a migraine.  Do you have a history of migraines?  Some of the symptoms can be very strange and one of them is the brain shutting down, numbness, tingling in legs and a whole host of other symptoms that you may not attribute to a migraine.

Are you on HRT or any hormone medication?

Quite a few of us on here are migraine suffers, myself included, and mine only started once my oestrogen levels tanked.
I don't think I've ever had one to be honest (that I know of anyway!!). I get a lot of headaches, usually for a few weeks at a time then nothing for a month or more then they come back for a few more weeks etc.
I'm still peri so no HRT or other medications. I've felt truely terrible this month inparticular though and it feels hormonal so something is definately going on with me!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 03:47:37 PM »

R your headaches painful enough to take pain relief?

Mary G

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »

KAH, when in your cycle do you get headaches/feel bad?  Migraines often come in clusters like that. 

KAH

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »

KAH, when in your cycle do you get headaches/feel bad?  Migraines often come in clusters like that.

I've not been keeping a close enough eye on them Mary, I'll start to keep a diary I think and see if there's a pattern. The really bad day last week when my head was excruciating and I felt sick was the same say my period started.

Sometimes I take co-codamol but if I can manage without then I do as I hate taking medication, although thinking about it, I have been taking a lot more tablets than I used to lately. I find the 4head sticks give some relief x

Mary G

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 05:40:06 PM »

That does sound like hormonal migraines.  I started getting silent migraines in the lead up to the menopause and they were always just before a period when oestrogen is at its lowest. 

As you say, keep a diary but you probably need to look into topping up your oestrogen levels. 

KAH

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 05:49:41 PM »

That does sound like hormonal migraines.  I started getting silent migraines in the lead up to the menopause and they were always just before a period when oestrogen is at its lowest. 

As you say, keep a diary but you probably need to look into topping up your oestrogen levels.
You got me thinking about when my headaches come and I particularly remember one headache that came on so quickly it literally felt like I'd been shot in the head! I remember the date as my daughter was going on a residential trip, just checked and it was 2 days before my period started! I'm thinking there must be a link there! Will defo keep an eye on it.
Does your eye sight go funny with migraines? Mine recently is extremely blurry, like I have to keep blinking to try to get a better look, does that sound familiar? And also feeling a bit drunk, not dizzy as such but a bit off-balance?

This is going to sound like a silly question but I have no idea about HRT or other hormone medications, how do you top up your levels?
Pages: [1] 2