Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Very heavy bleed on Utrogestan  (Read 9119 times)

Bellababe

Very heavy bleed on Utrogestan
« on: May 09, 2018, 07:24:24 PM »

Hi Ive been peri for about 2-3 years have been on Estrogel and Utrogestan for 6 months - gel good results,  and no great side effects with Utrogestan taken vaginally, except for worse periods ever! Lots of pmt in lead up to heavy bleeds. I take 200mg would 100mg be kinder? Not sure if if works this way! Thanks anyone who can suggest.

weathergirl

Re: Very heavy bleed on Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »

If you are still cycling on your own, it may or may not be the Utrogestan causing the heavy periods. Toward the end of my peri, I had very heavy, flooding periods as I believe, my estrogen was high and progesterone lower (while on an HRT regimen). Are you on a 10-day per month Utrogestan dosing? It might be good to ask your doctor what he/she recommends. Good luck!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:46:59 AM »

It's not the Utrogeston causing the heavier bleed. If you have a heavy bleed then it probably means you have a lot of lining to shed or you have developed fibroids. Less utrogesten might well effect the shedding process and result in a thickening of the lining which wouldn't be good. As you are peri, then it's likely that you are still producing oestrogen yourself at times and this would build the lining and result in heavier bleeds. Perhaps try reducing your Oestrogen dose a bit - maybe just one pump per day, to see if flushes are still under control but this might make the bleeds lighter.
If you want to reduce or possibly even stop the bleeding then having a Mirena fitted might work better for you. DG x

weathergirl

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 12:51:23 PM »

Heavier bleeds do not necessarily mean fibroids. I know many women and friends who went through periods of heavy bleeding in peri that did not have fibroids. Best suggestion would be to consult with your doctor about what you're experiencing, and then get his/her recommendation as to what is the best course regarding your dosing. Peri periods can be very troublesome and often heavy at certain times during peri.  Like DG said, if your own body is swinging with estrogen levels, the lining can get heavier and shed a heavy bleed.  Worth a chat with your doctor and good luck!  :)

Bellababe

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 05:14:57 PM »

Thanks both of you for useful comments I will talk to dr at next review just like to check here first as usually more knowledgeable.