Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Taking St. John's Wort. Can I still take other supplements?  (Read 1888 times)

AngsanaBlossom

I have been taking a menopause-specific multivitamin for the past few months. Alongside this I was taking Magnesium.
I have just started taking St. John's Wort for anxiety and it seems to be having some effect. Meanwhile though I stopped taking my other supplements as I really do not know a lot about them and what you should mix.

Is it OK to take St. JW with other vitamins and supplements? I know about the side effects and when you should definitely not be taking SJW and this does not affect me.

Dancinggirl

Re: Taking St. John's Wort. Can I still take other supplements?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:51:03 AM »

Do keep up your supplements as well as the SJW.  Supplements are not a replacement for a good diet though so do have a look at your diet and exercise regime to see what improvements you can make. St John's Wort can be helpful for anxiety and low mood but it may take 4-6 weeks to really work it's magic.  Do try Mindfulness or other relaxation techniques as these can be so helpful and I find getting out for brisk walks is essential to lift mood and clear the head.  It will be a range of strategies that will get you back on track - relying on any drug or supplement will not be enough.
DG x

AngsanaBlossom

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »

Thanks Dancing Girl.

I totally hear what you are saying. About 18 years ago I went through a very bad patch when I lived overseas and I became depressed and had to have 3 months of AD's. I never want to take them again but do feel that I have similar feelings right now. I don't know if I can fully attribute them to the menopause but the fact that I am 49, this is mainly occurring before and at the start of a very long heavy period along with other symptoms without any external influences to affect my mood, it makes me wonder.

Last time I did take a low level of AD, converted to a health freak and got down to my goal weight and became amazingly fit. In fact, I totally sorted out my life for the better. Right now that sounds like a big chore but as my lovely husband said to me yesterday, last time I got over it it took a bit of time. I remember just trying to put something positive into my life every day and after a while the scales tipped the other way.

That said, I am just about to book an appointment with a Menopause Clinic because I still think it is related. This has happened to me twice in 2 months now and on both times it kicked off 1 day before my period, then I felt terrible and depressed for 4 days and then was OK. That sounds like a pattern to me.

Abba Fan

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:12:22 PM »

Hi, you can check for drug interactions here https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:33:50 PM »

Hi Angsana
If this happens just before the bleed then this is a classic PMT type symptom due to the withdrawal of progesterone and in the  Peru menopause phase this can be quite extreme as your body is reacting more to this change of hormones in your cycle.
It would be a good idea to get advice at a meno Clinic as hrt might help you. You would need to stop SJW if using hrt though as I think it can be contraindicative.
Do try to implement at least some of the positive measures you used before.
Do let us know how you get on.
 DG x