Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wouldn't it be great if  (Read 4206 times)

weathergirl

Re: Wouldn't it be great if
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 08:53:29 PM »

Rosie that’s fantastic! I wish my insurance covered naturopaths but I suspect they do not. I will have to check!  I have Cigna. The plan is okay, but not great, and deductibles are pretty high. I’m so happy for you that you feel good! I think when I used the compounded testosterone, that it was perhaps not in the right balance with the estradiol I was using, as all I got was some acne and I felt irritable. Definitely not the desired effect!  I may revisit this at some point but cost is an issue right now as finances are tight for me.  Very nice yo hear of someone getting coverage AND good care! :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:58:18 PM by weathergirl »

rosie17

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 09:16:58 PM »

Well, hang in there, weathergirl, I'm sure you'll figure something out. Acne and irritability are signs of too much testosterone. My testosterone prescription says to apply 5 mg per day, but there's no way I'm going to use that much. I barely touch the cream with my finger and apply it to my wrist. It doesn't seem like much, but less is more, so I hear, and it appears to be doing something. I'll know more when I have blood drawn. I highly recommend the book The Savvy Woman's Guide to Testosterone by Elizabeth Vliet, MD, even though it's quite old (2005). She discusses all the pros and cons of all the different hormones and different methods of application. I don't agree with everything she says, though, and just use it as a guideline for questions to discuss with my doctor.

Take care of yourself!

dangermouse

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 09:24:41 PM »

It's great that you have so much choice in the US with naturopathy and it being covered by insurance. Here in the U.K. we either have tax funded NHS, which only really includes drugs (but obviously amazing for full costs for serious illness and accidents) or private medicine without any cover.

I did hear that they are looking into trialling personal health budgets to include complementary medicine so that could be a step in the right direction. More compounding pharmacies would be good too to make bespoke options available to all.

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »

Hi ladies, just thinking- Wouldn't it be great if the drug companies supplied all the progesterones on patch/ tablet form  and all the estrogens in gel/ tablet/ patch form and then we could mix and match ( with expert advice) to find a regime that suits us. The choice is actually quite limited as to what it could be.  No doubt it is a cost issue. We are all living longer and this really needs to be addressed.

Pepperminty xx

Yes it would be great!

As I think weathergirl said - it is not possible to produce progesterone in patch form as it has to be micronised and is unstable otherwise, but yes there definitely should be a 50 mg version of Utrogestan!!! Also yes to Dydrogesterone - it used to be available in UK but no longer - and is still available in some other countries so very frustrating.

Compounded creams as has been said are not standardised so are not approved either in America by FDA nor UK for HRT. It doesn't matter for oestrogen ( although you could be wasting your money) but for progesterone it is vital that the amount given is suffucient to oppose oestrogen to protect the womb - and it's no use leaving this to chance (and great expense).

Similarly - there is now a testosterone cream produced specifically for women - Androfeme - in Australia - and this particular formulation has (I presume) been tried and tested so will be consistent. Also it doesn't matter so much with testosterone therapy if the dose is a bit variable (between women) - it is the progesterone that is crucial. Also with oestrogen as said there are plenty of products available including very low doses so who needs a cream?

Hurdity x

pepperminty

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »

Hi Hurdity, I wish Dydrogesterone was still available, I wonder why they withdrew it here?

We need more choice in the UK.

Peppermintyx
Pages: 1 [2]