Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Itching  (Read 1192 times)

Ronnie34

Itching
« on: May 21, 2018, 07:22:35 PM »

Hi I hope someone can help!  I'm 55 with an underactive thyroid (on Levothyroxin) , have a hiatus hernia ( Esomeprazole), I haven't eaten gluten for 3 years.  Up to last December I was on HRT and I went to the GP just to ask some questions about it, but I didn't get to ask them, as he took one look at my records and said I had been on it far too long and prescribed a withdrawal dose.  Anyway did that and suffered lots of hot flushes and night sweats for 2 or 3 months, that has all calmed down now with only the occasional hot flush, so far so good!  Then.......about 3 weeks ago I started to itch, strangely it is only in two places - from my elbow down the underneath of my forearms (always starts at the elbow) and the back of my thighs, it has waxed and waned, but last night in particular it came back with a vengeance!  There is no rash, nothing!  I have tried antihistimine, all the itching creams on the market, sudacrem, hyrocortisole, nothing seems to make it stop.  I'm not aware of doing/eating/using anything different when it wanes, or vice versa.
Any thoughts on what might make it stop, pleeeease!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Itching
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 10:05:42 PM »

HORMONES!

Why did your GP withdraw medication when it was working?  Old fashioned idea, that!

Go back and discuss HRT - have a look-see at the product you had been using, put the name into the search box here.  Make notes.  Decide which symptom you would like to ease.

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry : inside and out.  For me itching was across the bra line and above, or around my appendix scar.  Then the vagina became dry  >:( - do read our threads about that one! [my bladder etc. and others].

Deep in the ears; nostrils, eyes, between the doors, legs etc. etc. etc..   I find Vaseline hand cream works well on my skin as necessary. 

PinkPepsi

Re: Itching
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »

Hi. I've suffered with severe itching ( mainly on my hands and feet) which leads to swelling for several years. The Doctor said it was urticaria and probably due to stress but I'm not sure that's the cause as sometimes it happens when there's no stress and at other times I'm really stressed and it doesn't happen.
I'm convinced it's linked to hormones although I doubt I'll ever know for sure.
The only thing that works for me is using ice packs. If I apply one as soon as it starts I can usually minimise a flare up otherwise I just keep using them and taking paracetamol as that helps too.
I've tried numerous antihistamines but they don't help at all.