Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1220 times)

pee831

Advice please
« on: April 30, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »

Hi
I'm new to this site and wanted some advice. I'm 53 and I've been going through menopause for couple of years, awful flushing, sweating and depression and anxiety. Since sept 2017 when I finally visited my GP I was put on a number of different HRT treatments, all patches yet although my sweating has got better my other symptoms have not. Was referred to Dr Paneys clinic who prescribed Bio-identical HRT and testosterone gel ( which I stopped after 3 weeks due to hair growth. I've now been told I'm not obsorbing the patches and my thyroid is 8.4, although above the recommended 8, still low and want me to try Zumenon but was told risky as taken orally, Shall be visiting my GP again in regards to low thyroid, clinic said they think I should go on Thyroxine for under active thyroid, so confused, Will it ever sort its self out, very low and fed up. My latest blood results are T4 12.1, TSH 1.18, Test L. 0.5, SHBG 39, E2 75, Vit D 85.7. To be honest don't understand a lot of it, just saw these results written in a bit of paper on Drs desk, any help would be appreciated.

Hurdity

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 03:10:40 PM »

Hi pee831

:welcomemm:

What were your periods doing before you started HRT in Sept 2017 ie your cycle length and flow over the couple of years you've been having symptoms? This will give a rough idea on average of where you are in menopause.

First how much T were you using and where was the hair growth? This is normal when using T. I apply to inner knee at base of thigh ( started on upper inner thigh) but got hair growth but it's still there - I just shave it off! Small price to pay. It would be a different matter if hair growth on face and that would indicate too high a dose.

It's important to know the units of your blood tests. TSH looks fine and also T4 is within range although at the low end. Not sure why you are throught to have underactive thyroid unless you have symptoms (eg fatigue, feeling cold, unexplained weight gain) - but I'm not an expert. Not sure what thyroid measurement the 8 refers to?

However if accurate testosterone and SHBG look low - although again they should be looking at symptoms ie lack of libido, muscle aches especially after exercise, fatigue, general lethargy.

If you E2 is on pmol/l then that is very low but if pg/ml then healthy if it is sorting out your symptoms - but also depends if you're still having a cycle and how much HRT you are taking. Some women need more than levels might indicate - if it is sorting out flushes and sweats and general mood then the dose is probably OK but tesosterone can be an important factor too.

Great that you are with Nick Panay's clinic - you are in good hands there so hopefully you will soon feel buch better. What patches are you using and what dose?

Yes it will sort itself out but you will need to persevere with trying different treatments and also HRT is not an instant magic cure. It is also only part of the solution to feeling batter at this time of our life - so looking at diet, body weight, alcholo intake, exercise, sleep, stress etc are all important factors in keeping healthy as we age.

Hope this helps?

Hurdity x