Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Peri treatment?  (Read 2980 times)

Hillbilly

Peri treatment?
« on: April 24, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »

Hi all.

I'm 45 and my periods are now coming a week early, sometimes lighter with the odd flooding accident. I'm having trouble sleeping (sometimes skin crawling), peeing 2/3 times a night, exhausted and achy during the day, no hot flushes unless my head getting hot and a thumping pressure is a hot flush? My mood is low and I'm anxious and emotional. I also feel like I'm getting thrush, itchy and uncomfortable.

I'm seeing my GP today and she doesn't seem keen on HRT, instead she's focussing on something to regulate my bleeding. Would HRT not help with those symptoms as I want to stand up for myself at the appointment.

Tia.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:41:13 PM by Hulahoop »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Peri treatment?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:37:54 PM »

Let us know how you get on with your GP.  What makes you think that she isn't keen on HRT?

Browse round.  If you get a prescription maybe look at what has been suggested prior to getting it?  Put the name of the product into the search box on here and see what pops up?

With regards the need to pee, do get treatment for Vaginal Atrophy.  A drop of oestrogen can dry the whole body including the vagina  :o and symptoms can mimic infection-type symptoms  >:(.  Appropriate treatment can help a lot.

Make notes!

Hillbilly

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »

Thanks for replying!

I discussed the appointment on the phone with my GP and she mentioned a couple of other treatments to regulate the bleeding (to be fair she asked me what the worst symptom was and I couldn't think so I said bleeding as I was bleeding at the time!) HRT was the last thing she mentioned and she said it could throw up more problems?

I thought maybe I wasn't getting the right symptoms for HRT. I'm not sure if my head getting hot with that pressure was a hot flush or not , so I said no when she asked.

I would rather have a treatment to deal with as many symptoms as possible and not just bleeding.

SueLW

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 01:56:04 PM »

Hulahoop.  I'm intrigued.  If your name goes along with what you do, I might well know you!  We could be in this together.

Hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 02:00:36 PM »

Sue, it most definitely does not relate to what I do, 30 years ago maybe...!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 07:41:25 AM »

Hi Hulahoop

:welcomemm:

Periods coming closer together and beginning to vary in flow etc is indicative of the Late Reproductive Stage as per the STRAW criteria (on reproductive ageing) - ie the ovaries are still functioning but hormones beign to go awry. It is the last stage before peri-menopause starts (cycle length starts to vary by more than a day or two). Some (unlucky) women do begin to experience menopausal symptoms at this point due to the hormonal fluctuations but if oestrogen has not started to decline then HRT may well not be appropriate especially if you don't have menopausal symptoms. Regulating your cycle sounds like a plan!

There are two CCP types that contain oestrogen similar to HRT - called QLAIRA  and ZOELY, which some docs recommend at this point - and these will regukate cycle, bleeding as well as give you more consistent oestrogen levels. You could alternatively decide to have a Mirena fitted to regulate bleeding, nad once you start to experience symptoms of oestrogen deficiency - notably flushes and sweats, or eg low mood, you can add oestrogen as tablet patch or gel.

Some women also find a low dose tablet hRT such as Femoston 1/10 also good (for symptoms and possible cycle control) at this point - although I'm not sure how effective this would be at regulating bleeding, and does not suppress ovulation.

There is an article about peri-menopause which might be interesting for you here https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/articles-mainly.php#perils and you can Google STRAW also if you want to delve further into cycles etc.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

arc73

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 10:24:51 AM »

Hi Hulahoop

I'm also 45 and in the almost peri stage. My cycle is still the same length as it has always been but I've been having 4-8 days of spotting before my period starts since last summer. Can I ask what your GP suggested to regulate your bleeding? I was offered a mirena which I wasn't keen on, and then HRT patches, which seem a bit OTT as I've not experienced much in the way of other symptoms

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »

Oh I immediately thought of those small hoops in packets  ;D

Ladies have various symptoms which may be relative to menopause.  I think many of us are of the thoughts that periods stop at The Change, plus a few hot flushes, perhaps a bit of mood changes but as you will see if you browse here, it can be much worse and more prolonged. 

So any GP that suggests a lady isn't 'old enough' or isn't complaining of 'specifics that might point to menopause' needs a  :kick:  ;)

Hillbilly

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »

Can I ask what your GP suggested to regulate your bleeding?

Sorry for the late reply!

Unfortunately it was the mirena, I think she mentioned something else but I can't remember what!