Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vesicare, over active bladder, dementia worry  (Read 1635 times)

Ljp

Vesicare, over active bladder, dementia worry
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:53:37 AM »

Hi, I have OAB, the onset seemed to coincide with menopause, I struggle with urgency and frequency, and often pass very little urine despite having to rush to the loo with fear of peeing myself... no uti's

It's just awful, some days it's ok, but other days horrendous.
I don't consider myself old, I am 53, I teach dance and dance fitness classes and keep myself fit.
I don't have stress incontinence, only urge on occasions, but wont risk not wearing protection as nothing more embarrassing than leaking 😟

I've been taking vesicare 5mg daily for about three years, and on googling, I found a research report outlining anticholinergics as increasing the risk of dementia and altzeimers by as much as 54% in people who take them daily for three years or more.....I'm so worried, I hope to have a lot of years ahead of me, but how can I cope with OAB with no medication, or risk continuring on vesicare and increase my chances of developing dementia.....please help, does anyone have improvements without using medication? I'm so fed up with this horrible problem, I wish I could have a proper pee, where the flow is long and strong 😟😟

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vesicare, over active bladder, dementia worry
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:35 AM »

Over Active Bladder - do you have appropriate treatment for vaginal atrophy which can mimic symptoms of urine infection-type issues?  For me VA was like razor blades up there, if your urine samples have been sent to a Lab. and come back 'no growth', then your GP should discuss the two appropriate atrophy treatments. What's to lose?

We are all at risk of dementia but how was funding the Research that has worried you?  When was the Research done and has it been dis-claimed since?

Age is a Number ;-)

Ljp

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »

Hi CLKD,
Yes I'm on oestrogel, have Mirena coil, also have estring for VA and have had a course of Mona Lisa laser treatment, which helped the atrophy, but its ongoing.
It's just the awful frequency and urgency I wish I could resolve somehow, definitely worse somedays more than others, and no idea why

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »

Hi!  Are you drinking 'enough'?  If I restrict my fluid intake my bladder gets irritated in the night.  The kidneys need to work more = the need to pee.  So I have to make sure that I drink plenty after 7.30 p.m. or I am aware all night of the bladder irritated. 

We have a balanced diet so lots of fruits and veg., the body absorbs liquid from what we eat as well as drinks etc..  Sometimes if we R out for the day I don't drink 'enough'  ::) ........

I also find that if it is irritated, 2 Nurofen tablets half an hour B4 bed really helps.