Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Confusion re delaying period on Elleste 2mg ?  (Read 3395 times)

allymorris

• First Flush
Confusion re delaying period on Elleste 2mg ?
« on: April 24, 2018, 03:52:22 AM »

Can I delay a bleed on Elleste Duet 2mg to ensure I don't bleed for my wedding day please ?
I am 1 day into my second pack (started back on orange pills) and so far no sign of any bleeding. my wedding is in 4 weeks and 4 days time (33 days away) so I calculate if I keep taking this pack I will be 6 days from my wedding when it finishes and therefore the bleed will come right at that time which I want to avoid. Should I stop all HRT for 2 weeks from today then start over again ? Someone on this forum kindly advised me to do this a few months ago but my GP told me that would mess my body up and cause breakthrough bleeding so I just kept taking the pills. My GP was really unhelpful re delaying my period and said it wasn't possible and that getting my period for my wedding day wasn't the end of the world ! Really helpful of her eh ?!
I keep reading about doing this on Elleste 1mg but nothing about 2mg and the pills are different colours ? Mine are orange to start then white in the second half of the pack

Hurdity

Re: Confusion re delaying period on Elleste 2mg ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 04:52:49 PM »

It can be tricky if you are peri-menopausal and especially early on - if your cycle is still strong. It also partly depends on when you normally bleed on this regime - but if you've only just started then you can't tell. The frequency of your periods (and cycle length) before starting the HRT, and the start time in your cycle will also be important. That being said sounds like you could have struck unlucky!

There are ways to delay bleeding - I did it during exams (can't remember if it was school or university!) - by taking a dose of norethisterone (which is a comonent of Elleste) but presumably will have been a larger dose - but in my case when I did eventually allow my period it was awful (I can still remember!) - I had very painful contractions which I (much) later realised were like the mid contractions of labour - ouch!

You could take this pack and then the following pack reverse the tabs so that you start with the combi white ones which may well delay or at least minimise your bleed. Alternatively ask for a pack of Elleste Duet conti for that month - or from now onwards until afetr your wedding ( same as the white plls) which would give you the same thing as adding norethisterone to your current regime - but might not be sufficient to completely suppress the bleed. Also you might get side effects from taking it all the time? Maybe add the POP - but could give too much prog also. Yes maybe stop HRT and see what happens but a bit late now. There are all sorts of possibilities

Re the doc's comment - well - most women who marry do so before menopause and take pot luck with their period (unless absolutely regular and can fix the date accordingly in advance) but those who marry later feel they should be able to control it - and I understand your wanting to do this. Since being on long cycle HRT since my late 50's I plan the progesterone phase of my cycle and the bleed to avoid being away and certain crucial dates/events!

Good luck with what you decide.....

Hurdity x

allymorris

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:49:22 PM »

Thank you Hurdity. I just wish my GP was better informed about the menopause. She just shook her head and said there is nothing you can take or do to delay or bring forward the withdrawal bleed. I suggested taking an extra dose of Norethisterine as I used to take that on my holidays when I was having proper and regular periods. She said it “wasn't a good idea” to take that drug as well.
Another thought I had ...... bring next months period forward. By stopping the combi (white) pills a week earlier and then going straight into the orange pills - I would then be on Day 12 of the orange (oestrogen) pills on my wedding day and hopefully ........ bleed free ?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 08:03:46 AM »

Maybe worth a try - but if you are peri-menopausal and your cycle is not suppressed you might ovulate anyway and have a period at the normal time.... nothing is guaranteed! Good luck!

Hurdity x