Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Alternative to vagifem  (Read 5973 times)

chrissy99

Alternative to vagifem
« on: April 17, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »

Hi ladies, I have been using vagifem for about 4 weeks now, no more bladder infections since yippee! but I am still getting some side effects... headaches and palpitations seem worse. I am reluctant to stop using in case the utis return, does anyone know if there is an alternative I could try with maybe less side effects.

Thanks ladies.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Alternative to vagifem
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »

I don't think that locally applied oestrogen, either Vagifem or Ovestin are likely to cause palpations and/or headaches.  Certainly I haven't noticed and have used the latter product for several years now.  These needs to be used for ever otherwise symptoms will return, as oestrogen levels drop off so the body may become dry: inside and out  :o including the vagina.  Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms and many of us have sent samples for testing which have returned 'no growth'.  So keep using it! it is the less messy of the 2 preparations  ;)

Headaches can be caused by dehydration.  Both symptoms are 'common' at this time of Life. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »

CKLD is right - I doubt that you headaches and palpations are to do with the Vagifem - these are common menopause symptoms due to a lack of oestrogen. The oestrogen creams can be messy and you would need the same dose of oestrogen anyway.  DG x

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 04:42:22 PM »

The palpitations would certainly not be caused by the vagifem, on the contrary, if you add more oestrogen topically as in a gel or a patch, you will more than likely find that your unpleasant symptoms will be a thing of the past.

chrissy99

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 04:58:11 PM »

Thank you so much my guardian angels, yes I have had samples returned 'no growth' I will continue to use vagifem, I was about to start the everol conti patch but was surprised after reading the leaflet palpitations are a side effect....so was to scared to try it.

I think I will now give it a try, as you say DG, the palps and headaches are probably down to low oestrogen.

great advice, as always.

chrissy99

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 04:59:59 PM »

Thanks so much Cassie, I am going to give the patch a go.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 05:25:21 PM »

My palpitations and headaches greatly improved when I started systemic HRT, when I started Vagifem it didn't make them any worse.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 05:37:04 PM »

Let us know how you get on?   Some ladies find that keeping a mood/syptom/food diary useful.

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »

I dont think you will be disappointed, do consider the rub on gel, if you do not get on with the patches, I have been on it for over 10 yrs, its wonderful and has no side effects whatsoever.

chrissy99

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »

Morning ladies, Well I decided to start with half a patch witch I applied to top of the thigh last night, this morning the diarrhoea is back haven't been able to get out of the house! feeling rough. I did have diarrhoea when I started the vagifem, but that settled once I got down to twice a week.

Should I persevere with the patch or rip it off? Thanks ladies.

Daisydot

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »

Persevere Chrissy it's long term effects are life changing so try and stick with it for a good three months.good luck.ps there's a nasty gastric bug doing the rounds just now my grandchildren have come down with it I'm hoping I don't get it as I'm having enough bowel nastiness right now lol.take care xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »

Chrissy - the diarrhoea may be nothing to do with the hormones!! It is far more likely to be your diet and lifestyle causing these problems. If you are anxious about using HRT, then this will have a big effect on you digestive system so could be causing the diarrhoea.    So many of us THINK we eat well but when we actually examine our diet there are things can be improved e.g. cutting out caffeine, reducing sugar intake etc.  I'm afraid digestive issues do emerge when meno hits - I know from experience - so try changing what you eat and the way you eat to see if that helps.  Try having low residue diet for a few days and see if that calms things down.  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 04:31:37 PM »

That sudden rush is awful.  I had it 10 mins. B4 a bleed was going to start, even if a period wasn't due.  I couldn't plan any journeys at that time of month.  Maybe speak with a local Pharmacist?  They have private rooms now for chats.  Locally applied oestrogen shouldn't cause such an effect but ...... maybe?

Have you started drinking more? which may well increase a bowel movement.  I have slow transit and note that when I haven't been for a few days, one morning I will go a lot, in a hurry, runny ........ several times  >:(

chrissy99

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 04:52:12 PM »

Hi ladies, great advice as always, I was starting to think something else must be wrong with me, when a letter from the hospital dropped on the mat earlier today, I had a bladder check up at urology about a month ago which was normal, and a ct scan to check kidneys etc.

The letter states I have a slight abnormality on my left adrenal gland, so I'm being referred to check this out. ( more stuff to worry about)
I think the adrenal glands control your hormones, and after reading the symptoms list it would explain a lot...

I will continue with the patch for now, but I'm starting to wonder if its all worth it........... I feel like a complete and utter wreck.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 04:53:21 PM »

What's to lose?

Your health provider is being thorough!