Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Strong smelling urine  (Read 7683 times)

jaycee

Strong smelling urine
« on: April 13, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »

I can smell it when i go to the toilet, and when getting undressed at night, obviously shower often, most night anyway, doesnt feel like an infection,
I thought it might be dehydration. but im trying to drink more water and less coffee
Any ideas please

Dancinggirl

Re: Strong smelling urine
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:26:22 AM »

Yep, this could be a bit of dehydration but it can be from what we drink or eat. Try to drop coffee or any caffeine and stick with lots of water. Make sure you really empty your bladder each time you pee as well.
I think our urine does get more ‘smelly' as we get older for some reason!!!! Nothing works quite so well as we age!!! DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:40:59 AM »

The first pee of the morning is expected to be dark and may have an odour due to it being stored for longer.  As we hydrate during the day the urine should be no lighter than straw coloured, if so we are drinking too much.  Dark and we aren't drinking enough.

Mine smells of sulphur very often.  I also develop a smell down there by mid-afternoon and can't locate why: no discharge, nor irritation, DH can't smell me ........ >phew< . 

The way to test for dehydration is to pull the skin on the back of the hand or wrist; if it bounces straight back the body is well hydrated, if it stays in a peak and drops down slowly, drink more ;-)

jaycee

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 07:25:17 PM »

Thanks everyone, i am trying to drink more water,hate the stuff, and i cant drink fast or i would choke
It is worse if i have had to wait to go,
Tried the skin test, i dont seem to be dehdrated just now, but i have done that test before and knew i was
I am trying to drink more water as my skni is quite dry, and bought some Oilatum to see if it helps

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »

Dry skin doesn't equate to dehydration.  I don't like tap water, I buy fizzy bottled water otherwise ..... and drink lots of 'coke', tea; coffee makes me queasy ......... when really thirsty I reach for a lolly  ;)

Dry skin can be part of menopause and various products can help, we use Vaseline hand-cream all over, I am sure ladies will be along with what they find useful. 

How's the odour this morning?

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:58:23 PM »

I would take a sample down to gp to be tested.x

jaycee

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 09:14:48 PM »

Thanks again all, urine was a bit lighter this morning it has been very bright yellow, almost fluorecent
Cant think of anything im taking that would make it like that, but still felt a bit smelly this morning, might be imagining it now, but seems better today later on, drinking more actual water though,mainly hot with lemon in
I thought tea etc didnt count, only pure water,i do tend to drink a lot of coffee
I have some soda water would that count i wonder?

bramble

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »

Vit B can turn it yellow. You haven't started taking that have you?

Bramble

jaycee

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »

Yes actually i have,started taking vit B,but im sure it was bright yellow before this,its only recently started taking it, been taking vit D for a while though?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 10:32:40 PM »

I have taken VitD but no change in urine colour or output.  When is yours the most smelly, first thing?  Lemon may well cloud it yellow.  It doesn't matter what you drink, remember that food stuffs turn to liquid too ..........

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 09:07:01 AM »

Morning.  It can be a factor in whiffy bathrooms but a change of colour is a warning: too light and we are drinking too much, too dark and we need to up our liquid intake, including that of fruits/veg..  Certain diseases have certain smells through urine or breath.

Cara999

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 08:14:20 AM »

Different vitamins can make my wee smelly and also as others have said food and drink. I've noticed on occasions mine can smell Different and strong xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 09:33:09 AM »

Occaionsally mine smells of rotten eggs  >:(