Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Yet again !  (Read 1751 times)

Dottyaboutdurham

Yet again !
« on: April 01, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »

Happy Easter to everyone.....

I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago as I was very concerned that I had a period at the grand age of 55 ! I had been prescribed HRT tablets and tried 3 types over a year with bad side effects so just have gave up the ghost !! A few months ago I had a womb biopsy and a pelvic scan ( which showed my once POS is now clear ) On the 13th of March I had a period that lasted a week and today 2 weeks later lo and behold another has started  :-\. I had very irregular periods up until my early 30's when polycystic ovaries  was diagnosed and I went onto the PILL and came off it over a year ago. Blood tests show I am menopausal, though I sometimes wonder if a lot of my menopausal systems are lack of sleep.....or could it be a case of the chicken and the egg scenario ( very Easter appropriate ...glad I still have me sense of humour  ;D)
Well ladies, to cut a long story short, I have been prescribed a hormone gel and tablet combo which I was about to start, but now not so sure what to do. Perhaps another trip to the GP and perhaps a possible referral could be on the cards ? Not taking well to having periods after being in a period free zone for many years !!
Thanks for listening again !

Dancinggirl

Re: Yet again !
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 09:11:26 AM »

It is not uncommon for periods to continue into late 50s - such a nuisance - but nothing to worry about.  Also in the peri meno stage periods will be erratic - sometimes close together, sometimes further apart, bleeds can be long, short, heavy or light - so what you are experiencing is quite normal.  Poor sleep is a menopause symptom but if you are not getting flushes and night sweats then HRT may not be the answer for you if you are getting too many side effects from HRT . Oestrogel with separate progesterone is a good combination and the gel allows you to start on a very low amount (say half an pump for the first 2-4 weeks) and gradually build over several weeks to 1-2 pumps per day.
If you have had tests and all is clear I really wouldn't worry. Perhaps give thing a few weeks to settle and start the new HRt regime when you feel you want.  DG x
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 09:32:27 AM by Dancinggirl »

Dottyaboutdurham

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »

Thanks Dancinggirl,

Appreciate your advice, I was going to sit all morning and google this, but I will step back from my panic mode now !!!

:bighug: x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »

Sorry about all the typos in my post - did it in a hurry. I have corrected most of them.

Hollyett

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 06:45:21 PM »

I am 55 and am still having erratic bleeds. Had the Mirena coil removed last year while being investigated for bleeding. I was told my blood test showed I wasn't fully through the menopause . I declined having another one fitted. Scan and biopsy showed all was ok, but even now I am still having odd periods, sometimes weeks apart sometimes months. Still worry over it but have heard of many others our age who continue to have periods. Such a pain.