Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Help swapping HRT please  (Read 1366 times)

Flo12

Help swapping HRT please
« on: April 09, 2018, 09:30:51 AM »

Hi I am on elleste duet 2mg but have been suffering terrible stomach pains when I start the progesterone pill . Also vaginal atrophy and the itch was 24/7 and drove me mad.
The Dr very kindly agreed to change me to sandrena gel sachets and utrogestan also vagifem pessaries.
The pessaries are working great but she has only gave me a months supply as she said have to be careful because of womb cancer but if we get the dosage of oestrogen gel right it should sort it out ?
Also I haven't dared start the oestrogen gel or utrogestan as I'm mid cycle , I don't know how to do it?
Also as I'm progesterone sensitive I'm worried I will be worse on the utrogestan as it says to take it 25 days . Im doubled up just taking it half the month on the elleste duet 2mg.
Help please I don't know what to do  ???

Hurdity

Re: Help swapping HRT please
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 06:49:52 PM »

HI Flo12

:welcomemm:

I'm a bit confused. If you are taking Elleste Duet then finish the pack if you can but if you haven't started the combi pills with the progestogen in them you could take utrogestan instead for the second half of the month as you suggest. However you would need to take it with the Elleste oestrogen only tabs not the combi ones - if you have another pack that you can start? Or you could just switch straight over to the gel and utro (and stop the Elleste completely)- as it's the second half of your cycle?

How much Sandrena have you been prescribed? You might find if you've been given the 1 mg sachets that this isn't enough (compared to the 2 mg oestrogen in the Elleste) but see how you get on.

Yes you're quite right you should be taking utrogestan cyclically if you are peri-menopausal still - ie 12 days per cycle. You may well find you are less sensitive to the Utrogestan than the norethisterone tablets - but there is always the option of taking it vaginally (off licence) if you do react badly to it.

The Vagifem pessaries are very low dose oestrogen and will not put you at amny oncreased danger of womb cancer - it is the HRT which needs to be at the correct dose - specificially the right amount of progesterone to protect your womb lining and if you start with the licensed dose that's the best idea  to see how you feel and how your bleed is on this regime. Vagifem is a long term vaginal oestrogen so you will need more once you have finished the first lot. You use it daily for a fortnight then at least twice a week thereafter.

Hope things work out OK for you, and do let us know :)

Hurdity x

Flo12

Re: Help swapping HRT please
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:56:31 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply , sorry for any confusion.

I have 3 days left of elleste oestrogen, so I can then start the gel and utrogestan?

I have been prescribed the 0.25 mg of gel.

So as I understand it I only have to take utrogestan for 12 days each cycle ? As Dr said 25 days then 3 off.

The vagifem I think I will need to continue but Dr was very reluctant to continue prescribing them after a months worth.

It's all such a minefield, thank you for your help .
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 11:26:48 AM by Flo12 »