Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: anti anxiety meds  (Read 10770 times)

tgisue

anti anxiety meds
« on: April 07, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »

Hi all

Does anyone have any experiences/suggestions for anti anxiety meds?

I am not depressed but am fed up with anxiety and all the symptoms it brings.

I have managed to get an appointment with GP in a couple of weeks and would like to hear about others experiences good or bad.

Many thanks

Sue

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: anti anxiety meds
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »

Yep. 

Sometimes at this time of Life hormonal upheaval brings with it mood swings, depression and anxiety.  I have been prescribed anti-depressant medication since 1988 and anti-anxiety in the form of as necessary Valium since 1991.  I took the latter prior to events that I was unable 2 avoid, i.e. visiting family  :-\.  When it made me feel woozy my GP prescribed another drug, to take 'as necessary'.  Because I know that ti will work within 25-40 mins. I have never worried about having to take extra.  I also have a beta-blocka at night to ease early morning anxiety surges.

Some ladies find that they require the above along with HRT.  It really can be Trial and Error.  Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary?

tgisue

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »

hi

i am 54, have regular periods still. i have suffered with migraines for 20 years so gp said no hrt unless extreme symptoms. To be honest, with my health anxiety amongst general anxiety i would be too scared to take hrt ayway :'(

I must admit I havent kept a diary of symptoms, maybe I should start.

Thanks for reading.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:02:41 PM »

A diary may be helpful in charting your mood patterns, hormone input, anxiety can be caused by low blood sugar so eating regularly and exercising gently can help.

Health anxiety can be problematic but what is the worst that could happen?  If you think seriously about the different medical assistance available as well as the various agencies for chronic illness, then there is help out there.  I never worried about cancer but when I underwent treatment followed by radiotherapy, I survived  ;).  It's the 'what if' that controls me which is an instant gut reaction.

Scotdownunder

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 09:15:36 PM »

The mental effects of perimenopause have been my worst symptom. I'm 54 and still having relatively regular periods albeit a lot lighter than they were,
Duavive helped control it for about 6 months but anxiety floored me about a fortnight ago and GP prescribed an SSRI as well, which had near enough immediate effect. Panic has appeared but I have capped it easily, as have managed to do most of my life,  to the debilitating anxiety that has been present for the last couple of years on and off.

Robin

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 09:23:52 PM »

Hi Scotdownunder,
I wondered if you would mind letting me know which SSRI you have found useful as I'm struggling with anxiety, panic and depression

Thanks
Robin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:25:42 PM by Robin »

Yammy1

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 09:46:55 PM »

I started taking citalopram 10 mg last  November and they have literally saved my life. The first month was extremely tough on them I.e made anxiety worse but I took an emergency Xanax when I got really bad. Once I got used to them I was amazed how I'm now able to cope, I don't really suffer with depression but had awful anxiety. I'm not 'cured' but I'm so much better now. I was at a stage where I didn't want to leave the house, I'm heading to Majorca in the morning with hubby for a short break, so huge improvement. I hope this helps x
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:49:17 PM by Yammy1 »

Scotdownunder

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 03:26:04 AM »

Hi Robin

Escitopralam.
I think that what shocked me was the speed of its action. I was sitting thinking it wasn't going to work but overnight and felt happy for the first time in ages and since starting, while I can feel stressed, it stops it spiraling out of control.

However as my GP has said, I'm really sensitive to hormones, and I suspect that  this will carry through the other things in my body too.
I think each of us has a balance that works for us and it is important to find it. I am alssure doing a lot of yoga pranayama and meditation but there is a lot of stress in my life at the moment.

Robin

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 07:09:21 AM »

Thank you for your replies Tammy and scotdownunder.

Did the medication affect your sleep? I struggle with insomnia and am keen to try something that won't make it even worse.

Thanks again
Robin
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 07:12:02 AM by Robin »

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 08:15:38 AM »

'really sensitive to hormones'  :-\ - I wonder what that was supposed to imply.  Hormones regulate and control our bodily functions.  So how could one be 'sensitive'.  I feel an essay coming on  ;D

Medication can ease sleep patterns too.  I dream a lot on the regime I take, it has been bears in recent nights  ::) with hot breath - but I sleep better now than ever.   If I have a few nights when sleep evades me, I take an anti-histamine .........

tgisue

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

Does anyone have any experience of propranolol?

Thanks

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 08:43:02 PM »

Yep - did I answer another thread with the same query  :-\

racjen

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 11:25:55 PM »

I think you have to bear in mind that this is an area in which we're all completely individual, and also that there are some members of this forum who have suffered from anxiety as a lifelong problem, so their anxiety is  a completely different thing to the hormonally induced anxiety most of us are referring to. There are many different ADs available and everyone will give you a recommendation for the one they tried that worked,but there is absolutely no guarantee that that's going to work for you.A lucky few hit on the right one straight away, for many it's a long process of trial and error, and for the unfortunate few (myself included) they simply don't work or give intolerable side-effects. I've tried 8 different ADs and beta-blockers,all caused terrible depression. Currently trying pregabalin which some people here swear by, so far it's done nothing for me. And CKLD, I'm sorry but i still feel your advocacy of benzodiazapenes (Diazepam (valium), lorazepam etc.) is dangerously misguided - you may be able to take them on an even basis over many years, but for most people these are horribly addictive drugs which should only ever be used as a short term emergency measure. Tolerance increases quickly and withdrawal is very difficult - I know, I've been there. And why all the mystery around the 'émergency drug' you mention in these posts but will never name? Why is it such a closely guarded secret?

Robin

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 06:50:01 AM »

I think CLKD uses the term emergency drug to get the point across that there are drugs that can be taken on an occasional basis to get through a very difficult situation. This is something I have been doing for several years with an 'addictive' drug. I'm very careful about how often I take it but the interesting thing about it is that it taking it occasionally it works very well and isn't addictive taken this way.  It has very few side effects in comparison to all the antidepressants and Pregabalin that I have tried and they all had awful effects when trying to stop. It does mean that I'm still struggling as I haven't been successful at finding something I can take all the time however when I'm at the point of ending it all because I'm in such a panic I take a diazepam and am able to calm down enough to not go through with it.

As you say we are all individual and what works for one may not work for another but used sensibly diazepam can be successful (in an emergency) used occasionally and for some, me included, life saving. Doctors only give a few of these tablets at a time and keep a very close eye on how soon they're used up. It wouldn't be possible to become addicted on the amount I'm given.

It's great that we are all here to support each other. I often feel weak and pathetic because I can't cope with all that perimenopause throws at me but I find it reassuring to read MM and realise I'm not alone in my struggles. I've tried many of the things ladies have suggested and some have been very successful others haven't been for me personally.

I know how devastating the effects on mental health can be especially when medication isn't working. I've tried many antidepressants, mood stabilisers etc and still haven't found anything I can take continually. I really hope you find something that works for you soon Racjen.

Best wishes

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:34:28 AM by Robin »

Woodlands

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 07:25:34 AM »

Hello Robin.
I started on Citralopam five years ago for debilitating anxiety, I've never looked back I take 40mgs daily started on 10. I also have an essential hand tremor so was already taking propanol for that and yes it does help too. If in need I can take an extra 10mgs.
I sleep like a baby and cope with all life throws at me- sadly that has been some awful things.
All the best
Woodlands x
Pages: [1] 2 3 4