Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Anxiety is nothing to do with hormones - views welcomed!  (Read 15684 times)

Kathleen

Re: Anxiety is nothing to do with hormones - views welcomed!
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2018, 06:41:35 PM »

Hello ladies.

I also think that hormones are the root of my anxiety. On the days when I feel well  nothing panics me but when I have palps and internal shaking  I worry about how I would cope whilst feeling so awful and that makes me panic. In my experience the horrible sensations definitely come first, infact when I feel okay  I tell myself to enjoy it while I can lol. This scenario can also occur throughout the day, ie feeling normal in the morning, noticing the tension and shakiness arriving in the early afternoon and then  quivery etc in the evening before feeling better again before bed. I don't think it's related to blood sugar because anxiety can strike before or after a meal and eating doesn't seem to affect it and although tiredness doesn't help the same routine can occur after a nap.

Our  hormonal system operated independently of other factors during our fertile years and  we accepted that we would  ovulate and menstruate on certain days and for a certain length of time, we didn't try and influence our cycle by tweaking our thought patterns or having an early night, the only way to change it was taking extra hormones! My trusty meno book listed anxiety as a common symptom and every GP I've spoken to has agreed with that statement so I think we are in good company.

Sending hugs ladies and wishing you all well.

K.

Charys

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2018, 07:27:10 PM »

racjen, yep, another person who is incredibly hormone change sensitive....like I think I am. My GP has now referred me to the community mental health team, as I have days of such crippling anxiety that I feel I can barely function. Then, when (and I am pretty sure of this) my hormones alter and switch around, back to normal as quickly. I don't think its going to help hugely, as until everything settles down with regard to these monthly hormonal alterations..... you hang on in there too.....at least we know we aren't alone.

racjen

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2018, 09:11:42 PM »

Trouble is, I can't work while I'm like this, I'm way too sensitive and unpredictable. I've been off work this year for nearly 5 months with anxiety and depression, and last year for 8 months with breast cancer treatment. I'm getting very worried about losing my job,and since
I don't have a partner to support me things are starting to look a bit scary....

Joaniepat

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2018, 09:37:27 PM »

racjen, have you been following the recent research about the link between inflammation and depression? It was on the BBC Radio 4 news this morning. It is a very interesting topic, and shows that treatment for depression requires a far more holistic approach. Possibly your recent cancer treatment was a contributory factor (not solely in an emotional sense).
JP x

racjen

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »

Yes, I did hear a thing about that but I was only half listening - must do some research. I'm sure you're right that there are links with cancer other than the emotional trauma; cancer is itself partly caused by inflammation in the body so it would make sense.

Dorothy

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »

Anxiety is nothing to do with hormones?!!! 

I don't know whether to laugh, cry or throw something!

I started suffering from extreme anxiety at the same time as I started to get my first peri symptoms.  Huge anxiety about anything and everything plus also a generalised anxiety - feeling panicky without knowing what I was panicking about!  My worst issue is health anxiety - I find a new 'terminal illness' every week, and am thinking that if I ever do develop anything potentially fatal, I'll probably miss getting treatment because I'll assume it's just another panic and feel I can't go to the doctor about it! 

I've read arguments that say that menopausal anxiety is simply due to accepting you are entering the post-reproductive phase and so are more aware of your own mortality.  I don't agree.  At 35 (when I started to get symptoms) most of my friends were having babies and menopause/final life stage was the last thing on my mind.  The anxiety kicked in well before I suspected I was in peri.

dulciana

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »

One of the ways my anxiety can be triggered is by sensitivity to action and excitement on TV.  My sensitivity to these things - which can strike without warning, just when I'm in the middle of watching something - has been a factor since I started the menopause.  Did this happen before my hormones went doolally?  It did not!

Charliegirl@

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2018, 12:43:43 PM »

Just adding my bit, maybe anxiety is a bit of both hormones and thoughts reacting against the other. The body has 4 hormones, estrogen, cortisol, thyroid and estrogen. In stress they become unbalanced and can cause symptoms. I believe you cant separate the body and mind, its all inter- related.
Just my thoughts!
Charliegirl@xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »

+ adrenaline ...........  :-\. progesterone ..........  :-\

When my anxiety floors me I have to take my emergency pill.  If it's background I find myself tuning in to C whether it's going to become worse, if that makes sense  :-\.  Exam stress etc. is totally different for me from acute anxiety as I know that once the exam etc. is done, that anxiety will go. 

Right now it's background because I have a change of routine this week.  I'll probably be OK on the day but my gut is suggesting otherwise  :'(.

This organisation may be helpful, after a quick 'google', like U do :

The Pituitary Foundation is a national support and information organisation for pituitary patients, their families, friends and carers. We are the UK's leading charity providing support to people affected by disorders of the pituitary gland such as Acromegaly, Cushing's, Prolactinoma, Diabetes Insipidus and Hypopituitarism.

etc..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:51:02 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]