Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Thickened womb lining  (Read 1152 times)

JennieWren59

Thickened womb lining
« on: April 24, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »

Hello all, about four weeks ago I was feeling a little dry, and put some replens in. it didn't feel very comfortable while I was inserting the applicator and when I withdrew it there was a little blood. There was no more after that initial spot, but I thought I would get it checked out as I've never been one to ignore things and hope for the best.

My lovely lady GP had a look and said there was a little area of trauma but that she couldn't see anything else, and suggested we leave it for a couple of weeks to see if it healed up. I went back after the two weeks having not experienced any further bleeding and the GP said it had all healed and that everything looked fine. To dot the i's and cross the t's, she suggested I have a vaginal scan to check the thickness of the womb lining which I agreed to. I've never been on HRT, and am lucky enough not to have had too many problems with the menopause, I've had some hot flushes for several years but never anything bad enough for me to have HRT.

Well I had that today, haven't had any other bleeding at all, my ovaries are fine, but the scan showed that the lining was 5.5mm thick and so she suggested that I should have an express referral to be seen by a gynaecologist within two weeks, when they might decide to do a biopsy, presumably after looking at the scan in more detail?

She did say that I should try not to worry as it's such a small amount and that if it was something more significant it would be quite a lot higher. But of course I am worrying! There's no history of anything in my family and the fact that I only had that little bit of blood for a few minutes and have had trouble free periods, pregnancy and menopause is giving me hope that this is likely to be nothing to worry about, but any reassurances that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thickened womb lining
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »

These GPs are fast tracking a lot more  ::) which is good.  Puts any issues to bed.

As for dryness, do get treatment for vaginal atrophy.  Localised HRT really does ease symptoms - read our various threads on here  ;)

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »

Why on earth would she track you for that its a perfectly normal measurement, mine has been 7mm at times when I have had scans.  :-\

JennieWren59

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »

Wow, really? Maybe she is being cautious then. I agree that fast tracking is fantastic. She did say that if it had been 4.5mm she wouldn't have referred me, and they like it to be 5 or less.
I think I feel a bit better about it now then, thank you x ( but I wish it was over and done with!)

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »

I agree with Cassie, that is only just over the limit for post menopause women not using HRT.  You may as well take advantage of having it checked out but I definitely wouldn't be worried about it.  A lot of us on here use HRT and go a lot higher than that but obviously it sheds.  Everyone has a different base line measurement and some are quite high, for example, a former member I am in touch which takes cyclical progesterone and never goes below about 6mm immediately post bleed but her gynaecologist is not worried at all. 

JennieWren59

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »

Thank you so much for replying, I am feeling less worried  as I know that you are all so knowledgeable about these matters. I'm very grateful xx