Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hugh's War on the Waist Line  (Read 1739 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Hugh's War on the Waist Line
« on: April 27, 2018, 12:54:47 PM »

The number of fast food outlets along school routes was noted in Hugh's new programme but how do children get the money to drop in to those on their way home from School  :-\ ?  Mum gave me money for school dinners [rightly or wrongly  ;D] and it was handed over each morning 2 the form teacher B4 'prayers'.  If a child didn't have the money questions were asked ......... there was no keeping it in the pocket for later. Some parents couldn't afford to send money every day especially if they had lots of children in school, I remember 1 family would eat round a table together and share what Mum could afford.

Where are the shops in this, shouldn't they have more control over who they sell to?  OK it's business for them in a difficult climate but surely they should be encouraging healthy eating rather than ........

Hugh also went into WH Smith, anyone note how sweets have crept back to the check out areas?  In the 1980s we campaigned that they were moved from those areas!!!   I don't go into WHS often but am always offered cheap chocolate as I am paying for items.  Also, the coupons are often for fast food outlets ......

Even our village shop has sweeties near the tills  :-\.   I often note in there, kids nagging for sweets or worse, taking something off the shelf, tearing open the packet and starting to eat it so that the Mother has to pay.  A lack of discipline is present here: 'no' should mean 'no' and I would be inclined to pay for the sweet then ask for it to be put into the bin and not give it to the child.

As always when these types of programme air, Himself and I sit and go through our weekly food intake.  I know that we should eat more veg.; he is currently cooking batches of curry and mince mixture; and I actually love my greens but not the after effects  :-X  :D

It was interesting that when Hugh took a mix of fruits and veg to sell on the street, that not many people bought the cabbage, cauli etc. as they thought it meant a lot of extra work.  Why not cut off as much as if required for two meals, put half into a bowl of cold water in a cool place for tomorrow and cook enough for 2-night?  Potatoes and greens will keep a couple/3 days if the water is changed and the raw food rinsed.

Anyone remember Bubble and Squeak  ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:01:03 PM by CLKD »

Shadyglade

Re: Hugh's War on the Waist Line
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:38:44 PM »

Vegetables should form the majority of the diet, followed by protein and then lastly only a small amount of starchy carbs.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »

So many Schools don't do cookery classes any more.  My first lesson was making toast  ::).

We got drawn into fast and convenience foods.  But to keep food no the shelves, salt and sugar is required.  So people became fond of salt and sugar.  The healthiest people in the UK have been was in the 2nd WW!

I prefer meat and two veg or a good curry even though I have a sweet tooth.  I prefer a pud on the patio in the summer with a little cream ;-).

I think too that too many people miss breakfast and am aware that lots of Schools have Breakfast Club prior to lessons.

Snoooze

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »

Secondary schools still do cookery classes...well at least my kids secondary school does but I did find it was not the sort of meals we used to cook in Home Economics! It was more like biscuits etc. Trouble is we used to have a whole afternoon of Home Economics lessons now in 'Food Technology', they only get an hour, so it has to be something they can make quickly. They can also still choose it as an 'option' for GCSE.

I have never seen a child in a shop pick up some chocolate and eat it before the mother pays! They do tend to be high up when they are near the till so mine would never have been able to reach it but if they had and had opened it, I would have paid then taken it off them and not let them have it (I may even have eaten it myself!).

My children always eat breakfast. It's a good job they do as some schools don't send them for their lunch until nearly 1pm!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »

I see children helping themselves a lot around here.

I would B on my knees by 12.30  ::)

We had 2 hours cooker classes weekly.  I remember mostly the huge pan of fat which congealed each week, ready to be melted - can't remember what was cooked in it though  :-\ , chips maybe?

Our families were raised on breakfast; meat and two veg., pudding; salad or boiled eggs etc. for tea at 5.00 and Dad had supper at 9.00.

I think that fish fingers was the nearest we got to ready meals  ;D though tinned meats were opened for Sundays, or those pots of paste spread onto bread and butter.  SPAM anyone  ;).  Tins were a mainstay in the pantry to eat with freshly bought joints of meat or chicken; along with various vans that delivered weekly.  Milk/cream/butter early on the morning, no yoghurts in those days. 

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:33:25 PM by CLKD »