Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: vagifem HELP  (Read 4142 times)

chrissy99

vagifem HELP
« on: April 05, 2018, 06:23:10 PM »

Hi ladies so glad I have found this wonderful site....been reading a lot of your posts and finding it very informative. Hope someone can help me I'm feeling desperate, just been diagnosed with vaginal atrophy after suffering repeated bladder infections ouch!! was prescribed vagifem but getting loads of side effects is there something else I could try? and does this mean I won't be suitable for HRT?

I just want to curl up under the blankets and die!!! this is ruining my life....thanks ladies.

Annie0710

Re: vagifem HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »

What side effects are you getting ?

An alternative is ovestin cream.  You load a syringe and insert and is good for smearing externally too

Also look into non hrt products like SYLK and YES

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »

Get yourself some pain relief pronto.  Take 2 tablets then in a hour, another dose.

Were they urine 'infections'?  Were urine samples sent to a Lab for testing?!?  Vaginal atrophy mimics infection-type symptoms.  Some ladies find that vagifem stings initially and nope, HRT localised into the vagina is different to other types.

As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry: nostrils, deep in the ears, back of the nose, skin, vagina.  Have a read of my thread 'My Bladder etc..' I have used Ovestin successfully and other ladies find that other products as well i.e. Sylc helpful.

chrissy99

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 07:50:30 PM »

not coping with the side effects, headaches bloating stomach pain diarrhoea yeast infection, feeling worse now than before the only good thing I've not had a bladder infection since starting vagifem. but worried they will come back now, have stopped taking it 11 days into first 2 week treatment. Thanks for your suggestions ladies will look into it.

Yes had urine samples checked blood visible but no growth...it was like passing razor blades.... doc said bladder can be effected with atrophy and it can bleed.... happy days.

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:56:33 PM »

I'm not sure that these things your feeling are as a result of the vagifem Chrissy,try buying some BV active gel from boots it's a course of treatment for Bacterial Vaginosis,I have a feeling that's more what you need right now and do a full 14 day reload of the vagifem after you try this and hopefully this will ease your symptoms and get the atrophy under control for you.x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 08:09:59 PM »

There are not usual side-effects from localased treatment for vaginal atrophy.  Have you had any easing of symptoms down there? 

chrissy99

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »

I am waiting for doc to ring me back, some of these side effects are rare but can happen.... just my luck! my original symptoms did improve whilst on vagifem but all this other stuff is new and very unpleasant, hoping one of the creams you ladies told me about will help will ask doc if I can try one not sure if you can get them over the counter or prescription only.

Thanks for all the great support.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »

The Ovestin is prescription only, the other suggested products can be purchased at chemist and online.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 02:43:35 PM »

chrissy99 - you clearly have quite nasty urogenital atrophy and I'm afraid there can be some side effects from the Vagifem at first but this should get better as the oestrogen works it's magic. I had the same side effects in the first couple of weeks but once everything is plumped up and healthier then it will be better - so do try to continue with the Vagifem as you are nearly at the end of the first 2 weeks and then you drop the dose to every 3 days.   
Try some Multi Gyn Actigel to treat and prevent the thrush and BV that are obviously giving you so many symptoms - you can get this online and is good to use once a week to keep things healthy anyway as it restores the flora balance in the vagina so will protect against BV and thrush taking hold and causing urinary infections. Multi Gyn Actigel will sting a bit when first applied but it is then very soothing.
It is also essential to use vaginal moisturisers alongside local oestrogen (SYLK or the YES products are best) but not at the same time as the Vagifem - so the Vagifem inserted at night and moisturisers in the morning and midday. You will find the Vagifem and any local oestrogen treatment will not irritate so much if you are using vaginal moisturisers . I found the oestrogen creams messy to use and they also irritated and burned terribly but many women like them. Many use Vagifem and the oestrogen creams to really get things healthier.

How old are you and where are in you in you menopause journey?

The burning will probably be the typical UTI symptoms that come with atrophy  - so here are my tips:
Avoid caffeine, fruit juices and alcohol - these are all too acidic. 
To sooth the burning drink half a teaspoon of bicarb of soda in a glass of water morning and evening for 3-4 days.  Drink lots of water as well throughout the day.
Take showers not baths. Avoid anything scented around your intimate area - don't let shampoo get to your ‘lady bits'.
Eat small, highly nutritious meals regularly, cut out as much sugar and transfats as possible and get out for brisk walks to get the circulation working.
You may well benefit from systemic HRT if you are getting flushes and night sweats.
The headaches are probably as a result of anxiety and stress due to the discomfort and these will go.  The bloating and diarrhoea will also settle as local oestrogen can improve the lower bowel as well. Your body is reacting to the oestrogen because it is waking up and restoring things and this is a good thing!!!

You will get better but you need to persevere with the local oestrogen make sure you drink enough water and follow the other strategies to maintain a healthy intimate area.   DG x

chrissy99

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 06:52:22 PM »

wow, thanks DG. This all started in Feb with uti and burning feeling inside although I haven't felt well for a few years now its driving me mad. I stopped the vagifem on Monday after noticing the yeast infection 11 days in, was going to start the twice a week application tonight but still got yeast infection so still unsure.

I have been reading up on estriol cream and was thinking about giving that a try instead of vagifem it might not have as many side effects!! doc never got back to me today so feeling anxious.

I'm 56 last period about 5 years ago wasn't expecting anything like this my mam has sailed through her's  and nobody else I know is suffering like this.

Thank you so much for all the info will definitely take it on board.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »

Has the yeast infection been swabbed?   Atrophy can mimic so many things that may affect down there.  You need to bear with the irritation etc. and continue with a form of atrophy treatment to plump up the tissues.

4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o

chrissy99

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »

Thanks CLKD, I know what you mean about the razor blades!! it was the same for me. Some ladies have said using Yes VM cream has stopped the utis....so going to give this a go.

I haven't had swabs done but it looks like it is starting to clear on its own hopefully..

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 08:30:59 PM »

Urinary tract infections feel like vaginal atrophy which is good at mimicing other feelings down there  >:(.  My GP was wonderful in recognising that my symptoms may be atrophy and following advice and appropriate treatment, my nethers have returned to normal.  But having given treatment a break a few times the niggling symptoms returned  >:( so I try to keep to a regular regime.  KY Jelly around the outer lips also helps.  Localised HRT must be inserted into the vagina in order to re-plump the tissue which dries inside.  I never really had a relationship with anything below my belly button until atrophy arrived ........  :D

chrissy99

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »

Me too CLKD, never anything below belly button before....finding this all a nightmare, hopefully practice makes perfect haha.

Unfortunately my gp didn't recognise my symptoms so had to go through unnecessary tests....

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »

However, the tests are done, results are 'in' and you can decide what you actually require.