Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: not coping  (Read 1886 times)

OUTCAST

not coping
« on: March 28, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »

I'm in a complete state with my mental wellbeing. worried, anxious unable to think straight so went to the doctor and he prescribed citalopram took half a tablet for 8 days to counteract side effects as the doc suggested, but to no avail,another week started a whole tablet 2 weeks in,all I could do was sleep,couldn't get out of bed, felt suicidal so went back to doctor, told me to stop taking them and prescribed diazepam to counteract effects of the citalopram. Have just started taking HRT patches, feel no better as yet, feel like I'm falling apart. Really not coping at all cannot function in a black hole

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: not coping
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »

It's common.  Sadly it takes ladies by surprise and can be a shock!  Read the treatment section in green above.  Browse round. Make notes!

Maybe tell us more about your periods?  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  Some anti-depressant medication can ease symptoms of menopause but HRT can be considered.

Were you anxious and depressed previously?

Aileenf

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 09:38:42 PM »

Hi outcast,

I promise it will get better, says me who was ready for walking out my life a few weeks ago, mentally I was in the worst mental state ever,  I am 4 years post menopausal and due to various different thinking on HRT started on it in October, this wasn't the right one for me and I was in a worse state then when I was off it.  I am 3.5 weeks on a new HRT and I know it's early days but the difference has been great.

Please hang in there, if u need to see a different gp, then do so, but please know that this website is a godsend with lots of help and advice with fantastic members.

❤️

Scotdownunder

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:05:07 AM »

Sympathies,
I could have written your post last week. The head effects of perimenopause have been the worst thing for me. HRT helped for about 6 months, but it was getting worse again as periods got more erratic. Spent a few weeks in spiralling anxiety until I made it to GP this week after a 3 day long panic attack. Thankfully meds have me really happy, if dopey, sleepy and another bunch of dwarves! I seem to be able to cap any anxious feeling get.

Hopefully your GP can find something to balance the roller coaster hormones, they are a complete pain. I never realised it would be like this!

Judy M

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »

Hi,

As others have mentioned I, too, could've written your post just last week. My advice (and I'm very new to this too) is to keep talking with the lovely ladies on here, they are so supportive. Also, have a wander round the site - on other users advice I researched other potential treatment plans for myself from the tabs at the top? - which I found really empowering.
Really hoping you've a good GP that will listen and guide you through this bonkers time - and help you to find the treatment that's right for you.
Best of Luck

Judy xx