Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy  (Read 3523 times)

Littlepuss

Vaginal atrophy
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:48:46 AM »

Hi all
Newbie here I was diagnosed with the above in January 2017. I have been back and for to the GP who has so far given me Ovestin, vagifem all at different times. Nothing seems to work properly. I have been given all the usual moisturisers to try but although it does appear to be a little better I just can't get rid of the itch. It is driving me nuts as it's not a place you can really itch in public 😐. I am also on oral HRT for night sweats etc and they have disappeared so that is great it's just the itch that keeps me awake at night. I have also been given timodine to try to allay it but doesn't really help. My dr has now said I should go and see a Gynecologist but the waiting list is around 5 months so am considering going private. I am happy to pay in the circumstances but wondered if they will be able to prescribe any else. Also my husband and I haven't had penetrative sex in over a year.
Sorry for such a long first post but wanted to get all the info in .
TIA
Pp

Daisydot

Re: Vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:58:51 AM »

Hi Littlepuss and welcome.you may have BV so you could try Balance active BV gel,you can either use it pessarie style or a tube of gel which you squeeze inside.its very messy but works a treat.its a course of 7 days if I remember correctly and you can buy otc in boots etc.the first night it can sting a bit but by second night it's usually started doing it's stuff.its very good,I'd try that first before going down the private route.good luck xx

Littlepuss

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »

Thank you so much I will get on and buy it today . 😀

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »

I use Multi Gyn Actigel once or twice a week to keep the vaginal flora balance right. If itching and soreness increases then I use the Multi Gyn twice a day for 3-4 days.  The Balance Active is messy but effective butI prefer the Multi Gyn which I find easier to manage but essentially both products do the same thing.

Keep using Vagifem regularly to help maintain a healthy urogenital area.  Also use SYLK or the YES vaginal moisturisers every day(but at different times to the Vagifem). I'm afraid once meno hits one has to manage all this carefully and keep up this routine maintenence.  DG x

Littlepuss

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 11:40:19 AM »

Thanks for the info but I forgot to mention that the dr did take a look yesterday and didn't see any kind of infection . Does anyone know if I can use the vagifem or Ovestin every day as the script says 3 weeks and then twice a week. Sorry for all the questions.

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »

They need to do a swab test for BV really not just look.its not going to do you any harm to use either one of the options suggested and it'll certainly get rid of that itch.as for vagifem usual script is one every night for 14 nights then at least use twice weekly some ladies do need to use it every night continuously.I did at first I used every night for a month but now find every other night is sufficient.
Good luck you'll get there x

Daisydot

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »

Ps don't worry about questions ask away,we were all in that same situation at one time or another I still have to ask,everyone's a gem so ask away.xx

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »

Hi Littlepuss - welcome from me too.

Do you ever wear panty liners? My itch was caused by the deodorant which is in most of them nowadays. It took me a year to find out what it was!

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 12:14:07 PM »

Taz makes a very good point - do keep anything scented away from the intimate area. Shampooing hair in the shower standing up is a no, no.
No biological washing powder either.
DG x

Littlepuss

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 01:58:47 PM »

Thank you all so much for your replies they have been really helpful. 😀

Tinkerbell

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 04:09:04 PM »

I have to use Vagifem every day, I am also on systematic HRT.

NinaH

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »

I use 2 every other day. I am also on hrt.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »

It takes 2 weeks of initial nightly treatment with either Vagifem or Ovestin then 'as necessary'.   Years ago the first product was given at 25, now it's 10 so many ladies need to use it every night rather than the every 4th and 7th ........   what particular problems did you have and wa there any easing of symptoms?

Do persevere.  Also using other products on the out area of the vagina as suggested.  Let us know how you get on.

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »

Just to clarify - after the initial two weeks loading the minimum maintenance dose of whichever vaginal oestrogen product is used is twice weekly, but as CLKD says - some women need to use it more often than this.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 08:43:54 PM »

Also: have you tried eating and applying LIVE yoghurt?  If you have an active thrush bug ......... that itch high up is impossible to reach particularly in public  :o I had this at the end of each bleed.

LIVE yoghurt - not necessarily natural, aint' the same - eaten can encourage good bacteria throughout the digestive system and applied is soothing.  Keep pots separate though  ;).  Laying on a bath towel naked, insert a good dollop of yoghurt as high into the vagina as possible in order to reach the itch which may be due to dryness.  A friend applies a tampon soaked in yoghurt with good result.  Lay back and relax. 

Avoid panty liners.  If there is enough discharge to require one then seek advice from a continence nurse! The body discharges fluid naturally in o order to cleanse various oriifices but not in great quantities  ;)
Pages: [1] 2