Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie from the US!  (Read 1747 times)

annieo27

Newbie from the US!
« on: April 04, 2018, 03:51:22 AM »

Greetings all!

Thank you for letting me join your group! I have looked for one in the states, but can't seem to find one.
About 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with fibroids.  I had heavy horrid periods and I worried about leaving the house.
I had a uterine embolization and the fibroids eventually shrank and I haven't had any problem with them.

I've always been a bad tracker of my periods, but they have been irregular for the last 2 years or so.

I went in for my annual wellness exam at the beginning of January just before my 52nd birthday- and my GP asked when my last period was.  I told her I started spotting mid-December and had been for a couple of weeks.  (Maybe slight bleeding but more scant spotting and definitely nothing like what I'd gone through before my uterine embolization!)

My GP suggests we do a blood test to check my hormone levels- estradiol and FSH.  They come back and says that the hormone levels indicate that I am post-menopausal and that this bleeding is abnormal. She has me go to the hospital to have an ultrasound, which shows that yes, my fibroids have shrunk, but they couldn't get a clear view of the thickness of the uterine wall.  She then suggests an endometrial aspiration (to get a sample of tissue) which fails because my cervix wasn't cooperating.

I am then referred to an OB GYN at a local hospital who tries the same procedure and she wasn't able to get a sample either.  She suggests I have a hysteroscopy with general anesthesia, so she can get a good look at what's going on.  At this point I realize how caught up I am in the system, and it's up to me to do my research and be my own health advocate.  I decided I am going to wait because: I haven't had any bleeding since January, I have horrible insurance with a very high deductible, and I've been reading about this procedure and most times you are drugged up but not put under.  The bottom line is I am listening to my gut which says to not have the hysteroscopy.  I just feel like the medical industry over here is a racquet, but that is another story for another day!

I guess I am wondering:
1) If I haven't had a complete year of no bleeding doesn't that mean that I'm still in menopause?
2) Is the blood test to check hormone levels accurate?

Thank you so much for letting me blabber!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie from the US!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »

You blabber away and browse round.

Menopause is the end of the periods.  But mine waxed and waned.  Nowt for months then several ......... for about 3 years.  Once I had gone 12 months without a bleed I knew I was threw.  I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years though.

Hormone blood tests are reliably unreliable  ::).   But it may give you a guide-line as to where you are.   My Gynae won't do them, relies on symptoms and treats accordingly.

Do you feel dry around the vaginal area?  Which may account for not being able to access deeply enough to get a sample.  Perhaps ask for treatment for vaginal atrophy, do read the various threads: mine is 'My Bladder etc.'.  Make notes ;-).

What's the time over there, i't s 4.20 p.m. here.  And raining again ..........

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 08:00:06 PM »

Hi annieo. I can understand your reluctance especially as the cost is probably quite high. Blood tests for diagnosing menopause are very unreliable in my experience. I was told I would never have another period following blood tests as my FSH was so high but I went on to have many more fairly regular ones.

The only concern I would have is the fact that your cervix wouldn't allow entry. Were you given any indication as to why this happened? Did the scan show a clear image of your cervix?

Taz  :welcomemm:

annieo27

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:07:20 AM »

Thank you Taz2 and CLKD-

I am sorry as I can't figure out how to answer these individually.

I feel better knowing that the blood tests are unreliable.  As far as my cervix goes, my OB GYN said it looked healthy and thought perhaps the reason she couldn't get a good sample was because my uterus is atrophic.  I have cancelled the hysteroscopy and feel good about my decision.  Especially when hospital billing called me and told me the procedure would be $18,000 and my insurance deductible is $6800!! (Not sure what that is in pounds!).  I have an appointment with a naturopath coming up and I'm looking forward to the visit, perhaps she has some answers.  I really appreciate your replies!  Thanks so much!

(8 hour time difference between us- right now it is 20:06  :) )

Daisydot

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 07:19:14 AM »

I would agree that you should try some localised hrt treatment for vaginal atrophy Annie,it's amazing what a difference a two week load of vagifem or similar can make to your inner plumbing.it would also make it so much easier to examine you as you sound very inflamed and obviously that would cause a lot of swelling.ask to try it because at some stage you will need it anyway so best to start ASAP I'd say.youd initially do a two week load of one pessaries every night then usual is one pessarie twice weekly but some ladies have to do it every night if the atrophy is bad,I noticed a massive difference after just a few days it was lovely to have a normal pee again lol.good luck xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:19:10 AM »

Hi Annie27

It does sound as though the doctors are being over cautious.  Here in the UK, you might well have been sent for the hysteroscopy and tests to be on the safe side but if the doctors can't take a proper sample, they give you local oestrogen for a few weeks (this softens the cervix) prior to the procedure and give some mild sedation to be able to take samples.   At 52, even if one blood test shows post menopause, there is still a good chance your ovaries may pump out some hormones and kick start a period - so you may well be still peri meno or in very early post meno.

I would caution you about seeing the naturopath, as I believe they are very keen to give compounded hormones which are not properly tested and you do have to remember that they are out to make money as well!!! If you have had fibroids then these may have caused the spotting/bleeding and will shrink as your hormones decline but any adding hormones may make these grow again without proper supervision.

I would definitely ask for local oestrogen for the atrophy that has clearly already set in, Vagifem or oestrogen creams are very safe and will reduce the many problems that can arise from urogential atrophy.  If you do get any further spotting or bleeding, that is the time to perhaps go for the hysteroscopy but if you have been using the local oestrogen regularly, they may well be able to simply do this at the doctors surgery.  I had a scan and samples taken without any problems because I was using local oestrogen - I'm 62 and very post menopause.

Are you getting menopause symptoms? If so what symptoms?  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 07:33:21 PM »

Your symptoms are likely to be due to dryness i.e. vaginal atrophy.  This needs appropriate treatment with localised HRT.  Applied for 2 weeks every night then as necessary, localised oestrogen replacement really does help.  For me it was like razor blades up there   :o  :D

Don't buy anything from the naturist  :o naturopath unless you really think it's going to be helpful.  If they are geared up to charging 4 consultants plus selling treatments, I would go away and have a Very Good Think. 

Let us know how you get on. - it's 8.30 p.m. here  ::) and has been sunny!

annieo27

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 02:53:03 AM »

Thank you all for your help!!
I really appreciate it, and feel quite relieved!
I'm in the midst of a big project right now and will go over your responses in more depth when I get a minute next week.

All the best!! :)
Anne