Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: To HRT or not to HRT?  (Read 2971 times)

TJC1

• First Flush
To HRT or not to HRT?
« on: April 30, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »

Hey all
I am 43 and went for tests as I was getting night sweats on and off for a few months. I am having periods - though irregular now it seems. My FSH came back at 78 (the range said >30 for POST menopausal!!). My GP has prescribed Elleste 1mg and told me it's not a case of IF you go on HRT it's when..due to the risk of osteoporosis.  BUT I am confused and have not yet taken any tablets as I didn't know whether to wait till my periods stop and/or my symptoms worsen?
Looking back now my mood has been tearful and low at times, bordering anxious, and I've been tired and very light headed but I put this down to being a working mum of a 6 and 8 year old - are these menopause symptoms?
I haven't had hot flushes - just the night sweats.
Reading the “common” side effects on the Elleste drug information they seem worse than I'm feeling now.
Can anyone with similar experiences help me decide? Will my menopause symptoms last for years? If I've not had sweats for over a month, does that mean I'm done?! Wishful thinking. I thought I wouldn't have to deal with this for another ten years and am probably in shock.
Thank yoooooooou all 🙏🏼 Namaste x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: To HRT or not to HRT?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:25:21 PM »

:welcomemm:

Maybe put the product name into the 'search' box on here to see if threads pop up? Make notes.

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:16:39 AM »

Start taking it now. Don't wait. You need the hrt to protect your bones and heart as you are young to be experiencing menopausal symptoms. You might not get any sude effects at all. There are hundreds of women taking hrt very successfully but you will not read their stories on forums .

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:52:57 AM »

Hi and welcome to MMTJC1 - take the HRT.  Elleste suits many women but it can be trial and error till you find an HRT that suits you. If you read any labels fro anything we take the list of side effects sound awful. You may be really surprised at how great you feel. HRT will Protect your heart and bones for the long term and if your FHS is that high your ovaries are dying off more quickly now so oestrogen deficiency and the damage is does is looming.  DG x

Emerald2017

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 09:59:30 AM »

The same here! I started hrt a year ago, aged 42. Feel better almost immediately! Don't waste time and don't let your body struggle! Estrogen is a necessity for young ages. I started to have severe symptoms with almost regular periods. Hope it helps! :)

SueLW

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »

Start now.  Before it gets bad.  You don't want to suffer and the worse it gets (it will) the harder it is to start and find a sweet spot quickly.  If you took birth control pills, it's little different to that.   Don't fear the press and it's scandalising headlines.  Take what you need to enjoy your life with your children.

I see someone has just said that estrogen is important for young ages.  It's important for ALL ages. 

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 10:13:20 AM »

Very important to take HRT being so young.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:10:06 PM »

Take it now, it's hugely important to start replacing oestrogen as soon as your own levels start to drop.   

Without HRT, menopause symptoms can go on for many years and even when you think you have come out the other side (whatever that means) there are loads of horrid medical conditions that are caused by oestrogen deficiency.

I would never have risked going without HRT and decided a long time ago that I'm taking it for life.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 01:24:23 PM »

Hello TJC1 and welcome to the forum.

I understand your reluctance to start HRT if you feel you are coping with your symptoms, you may even be one of those women who get through the whole business relatively unscathed lol. On the other hand there is something to be said for HRT generally and certainly if your menopause begins before the average age of fifty one. I suggest you consider your options and use the information on  this site to help you decide what to do. The ladies are always here to help so you are not alone.

Wishing you well.

K.

weathergirl

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »

I guess I am in the minority, but I wished I had waited until my periods had stopped or nearly so.  I found starting HRT on top of my own hormones cycling was very difficult on my body. I was only on a middling level dose, but got lots of side effects from the HRT probably because it was adding to my already erratic own cycle.  I wished I had waited.  I also never will know now when I naturally went into menopause since I was on HRT. 

TJC1

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 05:16:42 AM »

Thank you all - your responses have been really helpful and beneficial in me making a decision, the decision, to start the HRT!! I firstly thought naively that I may well be able to eat or yoga my way through this (!) but I am realising I need more than that.. Reading other people's views and experiences, and learning more about the M word has made me realise how serious the effects are not only with osteoporosis risk but especially CVD as not only did I menopause early I also started my periods at 11. Though I have read HRT won't decrease my risk of CVD. Anyhow thank you all - sorry not sure how to reply individually but I am very grateful you all took the time to advise and support me through this difficult and confusing time xx namaste 🙏🏼 xx

Cassie

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 06:41:25 AM »

Do start it I also had to at the age of 40 if you do not get on with the tablets theres a wonderful rub on gel and a separate Progesterone named Utrogestan that you can try which works really well, my gynae was telling me that he has ladies into their 80s still on HRT so really you are not doing youself an injustice being so young it is vital.

sadielouise78

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 09:12:59 AM »

Hi there!  You are the same as me!  I'm 43 and was having night sweats for the past few years.  I was also weepy at times and moody and my periods were very irregular.  I also had the tests and was told I was post-menopausal but in fact I was peri-menopausal, just those silly hormones swing about so much it just depends on when the tests are done.

I started on Elleste Duet 1mg in January and the problems stopped in a few days.  Elleste seems to be the one for sorting things out pretty quickly and it really did make a difference quickly.

I have changed twice since then just to get onto the right one due to suddenly having heavy periods and I've finally settled on Femoston 2/10.  It is definitely worth going on HRT, not only to ease the flushes but to protect your bones.

Sarah x