Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Constipation  (Read 2550 times)

Daisydot

Constipation
« on: March 28, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »

Hi ladies just wondered if any of you ever get badly constipated and if its like a burning pain that travels right up your back/ribs towards shoulders,this is a new symptom for me and I'm not sure if it's stress playing games and twisting my gut up again.it seems to come and go it's really uncomfortable for a while then disappears for a while.Ive put myself back on Buscopan tonight but I'm feeling really wound up with this.x

Dancinggirl

Re: Constipation
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:24:00 PM »

You've got heartburn and acid reflux - another joyful menopause symptom!!!!  Eat smaller meals, eat slowly, drink enough water and add plenty of fibre e.g. oats, veg and fruit, to the diet.  Try peppermint tea?   
I have the opposite problem - food goes right through me!!!!  Either way it's a pain!  DG x

jules55

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 10:02:36 PM »

Hi Daisydot. I easily get constipated these days, then all of a sudden I feel lightheaded and have to rush to the loo a few times, get freezing cold and trembly and then it passes after a few hours. It's really weird. I have started cutting down on my portion size, and eat more greens and salads etc, I also have a drink of hot water out the kettle. It's disgusting, but I add abit of sugar to it and that certainly helps. 😃

Daisydot

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »

Thanks ladies it's still bothering me tonight even after rennies and buscopan nothings changed. Tomorrow If I'm still sore and constipated I'll try the glycerin pessaries I bought.my mum used to swear by a glass of warm water in the morning so I will try that first I forgot about that.if it's not one end it's the other lol.xx

Stephjkm

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 10:34:12 AM »

You've got heartburn and acid reflux - another joyful menopause symptom!!!!  Eat smaller meals, eat slowly, drink enough water and add plenty of fibre e.g. oats, veg and fruit, to the diet.  Try peppermint tea?   
I have the opposite problem - food goes right through me!!!!  Either way it's a pain!  DG x

Great advice but be aware that oats can cause heartburn in some people. I can't eat them in any form, so so painful!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 10:41:18 AM »

Stephijkm - I agree.  What we are able to eat varies from person to person. I was prescribed PPIs for acid reflux and got a nasty bout of diverticulitis as a result and also developed IBS so now can't eat all sorts of things I used to be fine with.  I still get heartburn and don't want to take PPIs EVER again, so stick to very simple foods that I know from experience don't upset things. I find I can't have too much fibre or it just speeds everything up too much - as with most things, it's about finding that balance. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »

If I get this problem (the c word!) - prunes or figs sort it out the next day - I never take meds for it! These delicious dried fruits work like a charm :).  Also lots and lots of water and plenty of exercise - or even just walking every day a decent amount to get things moving. Perhaps a good curry  or a glass of wine or two also does the trick for me :)

Hurdity x

Daisydot

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 09:06:15 PM »

I take prunes daily Hurdity it's probably because I've been taking nurofen my bowels gone sluggish and the ibs has kicked in again I'm assuming,I thought at first it was kidneys the pain was so sore.I went and got milk of magnesia  today and it was super efficient,I nearly sh.. myself when I saw the price 😂 £5.25 a bottle. It's certainly eased it up a bit tonight.x

Stephjkm

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 10:03:07 PM »

I take prunes daily Hurdity it's probably because I've been taking nurofen my bowels gone sluggish and the ibs has kicked in again I'm assuming,I thought at first it was kidneys the pain was so sore.I went and got milk of magnesia  today and it was super efficient,I nearly sh.. myself when I saw the price 😂 £5.25 a bottle. It's certainly eased it up a bit tonight.x

:rofl:

Daisydot

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 10:21:50 PM »

I've certaibly had my money's worth tonight lol I've had two lots of meds and two lots of action afterwards so money well spent and I'm taking it on holiday with me lol just in case.x

Annika

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 11:51:11 PM »

Constipation calls for a little more magnesium to get things moving...works a treat without nasty cramps get a magnesium supplement

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »

Jules55 I get that really cold feeling too when my bowels are playing up. A GP told me that loose bowels are often caused by hormonal fluctuations.

But I also go cold and shivery at other times, and I associate it with one of my hormones spiking or dropping. I just wish I knew which hormone and what it was doing.