Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil spotting?  (Read 2841 times)

Ljp

Mirena coil spotting?
« on: March 29, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »

Hi,
Quick question,
I've been on oestrogel, estring and Mirena coil for 2 and  a half years, I'm 3 years post meno and 53.
I get occasional days when I have light spotting, not a bleed as such, but there when I wipe, it can last a few days then disappear for weeks or months.
Does anyone else get this? Should I be concerned?
Thank you x

elsie001

Re: Mirena coil spotting?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »

Me too Ljp.

I had mine fitted 2.5 years ago.  Bled for first 6 months then nothing until last December when I got the telltale signs of sore boobs, lower back ache then very light period.  GP told me to keep a note of when I bleed but it's so sporadic now, it's pointless.  Sometimes it's a bit of bright red blood on loo roll, other times brownish discharge.

I'm nearly 52.  I don't use anything else - I did try oestrogel in the early days but it brought on the discharge and insomnia so I just assumed my body was still producing enough oestrogen.

I had a womb biopsy and it came back normal.  Some days I think about getting the coil removed but I had horrendously heavy periods prior to having it fitted and worry that might start again, and I do like the fact it treats symptoms locally rather than having to pop pills.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »

LJP - quite normal to get a bit of spotting. Not everyone is bleed free on the Mirena!  DG x

Patricia

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »

Hi-I'm 63 and about two years into second Mirena coil and Estrogel regime - yes I still get occasional spotting. I might not be exact with just two pumps of the gel, I often go a little more but no more than 3 pumps so I put it down to if I've been a bit heavy handed with the gel for any length of time I can usually expect a few days of spotting. I am on top of things re scans etc and all ok in there so far thankfully. hope this is helpful. Patx

Ljp

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »

Thank you all, this has reassured me.
Patricia, did you have any trouble from GP getting a second coil fitted after 60?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »

I am nearly 3 years post meno and had the Mirena fitted nearly two years ago, I am also using three pumps of estrogel and vagifem. In the last year I have had staining on three separate occasions, it normally lasts a day or two.

Ljp

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »

Thanks tinker bell, I have staining a bit more often than that, but not every mo th x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 06:22:17 PM »

Freaks me out everytime I get it but GP said they would only become worried if it became heavy bleeding.

Stephjkm

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 10:21:01 PM »

I had a mirena fitted 15 months ago and it took a year for the initial spotting to go away. I started oestrogel in January, 2 pumps daily, and had no problems. I upped the dose to 3 pumps daily and started to get spotting. It has settled again but I'm thinking of upping the oestrogel to four pumps daily (I'm slipping back into the stroppyness and irritableness again, with the occasional night sweat) but am thinking twice as I don't want the spotting to continue. It's a bit of a balancing act!

Patricia

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 11:55:54 AM »

Hi sorry for the delay getting back. I seem to remember the gynae at the meno clinic being a bit impatient with me but looking back it was probably because I had been to see her a few times about spotting! She suggested maybe I shouldn't be bothering with HRT now.....I went private then and had hysteroscopy and womb lining checked etc - even that young gynae though was wondering why I wished to continue with HRT 🙄. the young GP at my surgery had said to me if I couldn't get the coil fitted she would have a go 😀 ...it was good to know she was in my corner at least unfortunately she seems to have left or on a long leave now...she also said I needn't have paid for what I had done etc she would have arranged all that for me...I hope she comes back to the surgery.
About 6 weeks ago I went to a private clinic and had a post menopausal check including the blood test to check for ovarian cancer.  That cost about £150.  I hope this is helpful Ljp - that's where I'm at for now.  I'm hoping when the time comes round again it'll be just routine to change the coil but we'll see! Patx