Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 1058 times)

Help101

Looking for advice
« on: March 29, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »

Hello! I'm looking for advice as I'm unsure about going through surgical menopause at 38?
I have severe pmt, lasting 2-3 weeks out of 4,where I've tried various contraceptive pills which don't agree with me,ssri ‘s that help but bring a host of other intolerable SE, Marena was a no no and decapeptyl injection hurt my stomach. I also suffer crippling period pains which I know a hysterectomy will help.
I want ovaries removed as cannot cope with pmt (nor can my family). I'm frightened because what if it doesn't help me or makes it worse, what if hrt disagrees with me, will I feel less attractive if my body starts to age (I know that shouldn't matter). My gynae dr is happy to refer me and has given me 4 weeks to decide - hysterectomy, which will sort part of problem, or the ovaries too which will hopefully sort it all out!
Any advice from you lovely ladies would be so much appreciated :)

Hurdity

Re: Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 07:02:41 PM »

Hi Help101

:welcomemm:

I would think very carefully before going through surgical menopause ( which you clearly are doing) - as also there are options such as chemically induced menopause to try before you go down the surgical route - which is very drastic. I see that you have tried one of these I think ('the decapeptyl injection) but there is also Zoladex. It may be that the initial side effects are worth overcoming to suppress your cycle, and then you can replace oestrogen and testosterone. I think member donnacrichton has done this? See if you can see her posts - as I might be wrong.

Also which contraceptive pills have you tried? There are some now which have a gentler oestrogen (ie the same  as our own - not synthetic like the other pills) in them - such as QLAIRA (contains estradiol) and which also is one of the newer generations of progestogens ( dienogest).

The other thing to try if your gynae can prescribe - is to suppress your cycle with very high doses of oestrogen. A long-standing member GypsyRoseLee who has returned to posting recently has done this with great success, and it has turned her life around (I'm sure she won't mind my mentioning this!).

You can find the information on John Studd's website who has written various papers and articles on this - but the treatment is widely avaialble on NHS as it just involves high dose oestrogen gel or patches together with progesterone (Utrogestan) taken for a shorter cycle under medical supervision if you are progesterone intolerant.  Do have a look at the papers on pms and reproductive depression - start on the left tabs and then there are additional tabs on the right. Here is the section on pms: http://www.studd.co.uk/pms.php

Your gynae should be familiar with this non-surgical approach and if not - you will maybe need to educate yourself and ask to try it - if it appeals to you?

I can't speak from experience but just from what I've read and the experiences of others as reported on this forum and hopefully someone else will be along to let you know what they have done - but in the meantime do have a look at this thread: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39257.15.html

Hope this helps and that you manage to find a way to the best treatment - do keep posting and asking questions whenever you need to and members can try to help :)

Hurdity x

Help101

Re: Looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »

Thanks so much for your advice! I will definitely look further into it to see other options. I kinda felt that I'd used up all options and nothing was working for me - my body is so sensitive to medications. I tried various combined pills, progesterone only pills, provera all with poor results.

I just wonder if taking everything away will solve all problems inc pain and bleeding, but I can't put it all back in if it doesn't  :-\ I read msjekylandhydes posts and it worked for her  :clapping

I shall go and read the links you sent me. Thanks again x