Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: A newbie and totally confused  (Read 1202 times)

mamatulton

A newbie and totally confused
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »

Ive been off work for 6 months due to chronic hip/groin, feet and shoulder pain. Was told by GP it looked as though it was MS but MRI discounted this. At 51 it looks as though it could be lack of oestrogen thatscausing this so GP has prescribed Prempak-C to start after my next period. Im really worried about all the side effects :'(

Hurdity

Re: A newbie and totally confused
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:40:01 PM »

Hi mamatulton

:welcomemm:

I hope the HRT works for you. if not there are plenty of others to try. Your doc has given you one of the cheapest and most old-fashioned types but nevertheless it is used by many women quite happily so try not to worry about the side effects. Having said that one should give each HRT type 3 months before writing it off as your body needs to acclimatise.

What dose have you been given and where are you in menopause re cycle length and periods etc?

Good luck and keep us posted - you are still young :)

Hurdity x

mamatulton

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »

Hi hurdity, sorry i hadn't replied...i totally missed your message. Doc has prescribed 1mg and i would say it has eased the pain slightly. As for where im at in the menopausal stage i have absolutely no idea! My menstrual cycle is every 28/30 days so very regular although i had hoped it would start to  ease off. Im not really convinced i should be on HRT but im a wee bit scared now to stop taking it. I didnt have any hot flushes or chronic bleeding or most of the symptoms of the menopause...just the chronic pain.  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 07:55:21 PM »

Hi again - no problem about replies - I don't manage to look at all the sections of the forum anyway! Well I'm surprised you got Prempak-C as it has disappeared off the list of HRT types and presumably has been discontinued? Not an ideal one to start in that case because then if you like it and try to get more you will then have the problem of changing to another one.

While low oestrogen can cause joint pain - if your cycle is still that regular and you have no other symptoms I must admit HRT would not be my first thought - but your GP knows you and I presume s/he has done other tests re joint issues and blood tests eg thyroid function, vitamin or mineral deficiencies etc? If s/he thinks low oestrogen might be the cause then it's definitely worth a try. Maybe you are already taking other meds that might mean you don't experience flushes and sweats eg anti-depressants. Women taking these may not experience menopause in the same way as the rest of us due to the potential lack of the first obvious signs of oestrogen decline or hormonal fluctuations (ie flushes and sweats).

If you do decide to take this one - try not to worry and hopefully your pain will be eased soon - must be miserable for you.

Hurdity x