Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Wired on Utrogestan or Completely Zonked.  (Read 2516 times)

Rosti

Wired on Utrogestan or Completely Zonked.
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has this and if so what did you do?  I have hunted around the site, maybe I am missing something due to my malfunctioning brain (what's left of it).

When I was on 50mcg oestrogen (first Oestrogel but then changed to Estradot as oestrogel wasn't working so well) I struggled (as so many on this site, with the progesterone).

I was given Utrogestan and initially tried 200mg progesterone vaginally and was not even able to get out of bed I was so drowsy.  I just couldn't stay awake or vertical, literally!

Next month, after two weeks of fairly uneventful oestrogen, I tried 100mg Utrogestan.

The symptoms were pretty dreadful.

I was completely jittery and wired, the muscles in my legs complained and felt like cramp, the insomnia was extreme, I would lie awake until around 6am before finally falling asleep.  I couldn't finish more than 6 days.

As a result, my relationship with Utrogestan has not been plain sailing.

I am now on 75mcg Oestrodot patch and am still having the same issues if I take 100mg although the 200mg option is not quite so bad I still can't stay awake...

Is there some inbetween version or something where I can balance the two?

Rosti

Robin

Re: Wired on Utrogestan or Completely Zonked.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »

I'm sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer advice but wanted to let you know I experienced the same problems with utrogestan and also dydrogesterone. It was pretty extreme with both so I was unable to continue taking them. I'm now using evorel patches. I still have quite a problem with the progesterone part of evorel but nowhere near as severe as with the (kinder for many apparently) progesterones. You're not alone in reacting this way to it. I guess the more natural ones don't suit everybody.

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 12:46:54 PM »

Am totally wired for 12 days a month on the Utro 100mg used vaginally, I have learnt to grin and bear it, as there is not much else that works as well unfortunately.

aspie65

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 01:06:56 PM »

I was fine on 100mg utrogestan orally but it didn't shift my lining so I upped it to 200mg and by the end of the 12 days I was really wired.  Next month I'm going to try and go for a total of 150mg per day but taking 200mg one day and 100 the next.  I came to 150mg because that it what I was on with Prempak and that seemed to work just fine.

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:35:16 PM »

If you use it vaginally it will def work.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »

Well I take 200 mg vaginally for 12 days ( nights) every 6-8 weeks. I insert it in bed and it always zonks me out! Sometimes its worse than others and I get foggier headed as each day goes by. Have just done 4 nights this cycle and although I can't move in the morning when I wake ( find it difficult to wake) after two mugs of tea drunk over the course of half an hour I force my eyes open and then I'm generally OK. Only 8 nights to go! I never get wired at all with it. However I always have vivid dreams when taking it and have to get up at more in the night to empty bladder. I still prefer to do this than to take the synthetic progestogens as I've been taking it for 11 years and don't intend to stop it unless I'm medically not able to....

I hope you manage to find a way to tolerate it. Unfortunately there are no variations in dosage which is a right pain - even on the continent where vaginal use is given as a possible alternative to oral use. Alternate day dosing of 100 mg/200mg sounds good. When I was taking Cyclogest (progesterone) pessaries (before utrogestan was invented - well in UK anyway) I briefly did a continous combined regime of 25 mcg Estradot and alternate day Cyclogest - and that worked fine despite the rapid breakdown of progesterone in the body.

Hurdity x

Robin

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 07:23:44 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

Did you find the cyclogest had the same side effects as the utrogestan? I hadn't considered trying that one maybe I should.

If there anybody who doesn't get on with utrogestan but managed cyclogest I would love know please
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:31:24 PM by Robin »

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 07:29:00 PM »

I can't remember really - I don't think it was as bad although I did get more migraines on it and almost always a withdrawal migraine. However the dose was 400 mg which is very high - as the capsules were waxy. I never tried a lower dose as my GP didn't suggest it but may well have worked as dose taken alternately didn't affect me.

Hurdity x

Robin

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 07:33:09 PM »

Thanks Hurdity I think I will ask to try that x

Rosti

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:54:25 AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies... I can't help but wonder what it is about the 100mg that makes me wired and the 200mg that zonks me out... it would seem that the same thing would just have a progressive effect (or at least that might be logical).  The other thing I noticed is that I have the symptoms of a bad cold which happened about the same time as I started this round but I don't actually have a cold and the sore throat has been with me for the last 8 days to correspond with the "lovely" Utrogestan...

Clearly I am falling apart slowly  ;)