Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: High blood pressure?  (Read 1725 times)

Lalb1

High blood pressure?
« on: March 25, 2018, 12:59:14 PM »

Never suffered from high blood pressure other than a couple of blips when I was pregnant with both my boys.
Even when I was on BCP it was always ok.
Weirdly now I'm not on BCP I'm finding my blood pressure is higher? More headaches and the rushing feeling.
Is this normal? I'm at the docs next week for a well woman check up (finally) and I already know what they will say- high BP and no doubt high cholesterol as food/diet not been great these last 3 months! Have felt so rough that I've eaten and drunk rubbish. Paying for it now.
Anyone any suggestions to help lower both?
I've looked online but just not sure if this is also to do with the perimenopause symptoms? Seems some discrepancies online as to whether they are related.
Many thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: High blood pressure?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »

You won't be aware of high blood pressure unless you have a stroke  :-\.  There are no symptoms.

You may find that on standing suddenly you feel 'odd'.  That could be a sudden drop of BP or low blood sugar.  Your Practice Nurse can do a sitting and standing BP but be aware that many people have 'white coat syndrome' where BP is higher than 'usual'.  My Husband, the calmest person you would ever meet, has WCS  ::) so R GP suggested a monitor at home.  Used every day at the same time his BP is now within normal limits.

Mine is always good but I take 20mg Propranolol every night  ::).   However, I had a high cholesterol reading in November and another GP leapt onto the prescription pad and insisted that I take statins.  My DH went to R GP and tried the diet, exercise, cholesterol route - but guidelines have altered so % are higher, we now both take statins.  R GP explained how they work and why, the other GP hadn't a clue when I asked  >:(

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 04:38:56 PM »

I touched upon the subject of high blood pressure on another thread!

My view is that high blood pressure is linked to low oestrogen.  On the few occasions that my oestrogen has been low, my blood pressure always rises but falls again once I increase the oestrogen.  Same goes for cholesterol.  My mother and aunt both developed high blood pressure post menopause. 

There are things you can do to reduce blood pressure but if it is hormone related, the only thing that will really help is HRT.  Perhaps this is something you can discuss with your doctor?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 10:37:01 AM »

:thankyou: Mary  G

How R U this morning Lalb1?

Lalb1

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 05:01:36 PM »

I've actualky just got home after being in the hospital assessment unit since this morning. Went to the docs this morning about the leg pain and she was unhappy with my blood pressure and the pain I was describing.so she sent me to A&E. Had bloods and all tests, definitely no clot.
Blood pressure was still on high side for me so I've gotta be checked again on Thursday.
Feeling yucky!😧

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »

Get a BP home monitor from boots or a chemists.  Take the BP at the same time each morning, preferably B4 breakfast.  Keep notes.

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 07:13:10 PM »

Glad they checked you out!

I'm sure will be fine Thursday as well but good they are doing a second check and now you know no clots you can hopefully relax a bit more.

They may prescribe you mild beta blockers which will also lower your adrenaline (so feel more relaxed) if the higher bp is still an issue. It won't relax your mind like ADs but will calm the physical surges.